NAFO 2016 - Where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
I realized after leaving that I wasn't aware of any discussion over where NAFO5(2016) would be held. Here are where the first 4 were:

1. WFO

2. EOM

3. CFR(WCR)

4. CFO

Not that I would force it on anyone. I know first hand what it takes to put one of these together and will, again, volunteer to assist in any way I can. Was there any conversation about it at NAFO? Was I just laughing at Andy the Spam Geek too much to notice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I remember that the NAFO this year came down to CFO or SW-FOG (?)

So perhaps SW-FOG would be the next host (?)

Or the southern riders can host it in a nice centralized location like …. Key West.
no.gif

A) Roads are straight and flat

B) Lodging is outrageous

C) LEOs are numerous

Yeah...SW-FOG.. Papa Chuy to the red courtesy phone.....I would like me some more Ooootah too Fred! It would work out perfectly as we are probably going to do an extended cross country adventure in 2016.

I'd be interested in that, but I'm not going to that swinging steak place (unless it's with one of you fancy lads).

It seems most posting think it's just a matter of identifying a place they'd like to ride. The "Who" is FAR more important.

This is the time an individual leader and a few hearty volunteers come forward....willing to tackle this kind of event. The place tends to gets sorted out after they find a suitably sized venue nearby. The number of places that can handle 80+ are more limited than one might think.

Having worked on 4 or 5 of them....I'll support of course. Anybody that wants to lead in the west..I'm open to sharing my experiences. Or purposely don't talk to me as the case may be. :)

I wonder a bit about Arizona actually. Very different maybe, but gotta wonder about the cultural and road opportunities if some place like Flagstaff, Winslow, or Page. Latter can be a great launch point into southern Utah.

Matt

I just rode through Vacationland (southern Utah) on Wednesday and it truly is spectacular every time I ride through there. Cedar City may be a good location with Cedar Breaks, Zion, Bryce all within a day ride.

Lots of good riding out of Logan too.

I just rode through Vacationland (southern Utah) on Wednesday and it truly is spectacular every time I ride through there. Cedar City may be a good location with Cedar Breaks, Zion, Bryce all within a day ride.Lots of good riding out of Logan too.
The Logan area and Southern UT are different worlds. Logan is intriguing as it's a nice gateway to the Wasatch and Uinta ranges, and Beartooth/Cody/Yellowstone would be "on the way" for people coming from the east (more or less). That's a middle of summer location, where Southern UT needs to be early or late as it's much, much hotter. Both places are very nice riding areas.

Another thing about Logan--it's a college town (Utah State) and might have cheaper lodging in summer when school's out.

I would take Utah over Arizona...while hot in Utah, nowhere near as hot as AZ in the summer. I would not be worried about taking on some of the smaller places in Utah if done at the right time. There are lots of hotels in Utah that could handle the event in terms of lodging, its a great room for the final dinner that may be an issue...a local restaurant may have to suffice. You can ride comfortably in Utah from April thru early June. Then last week of August to October to avoid the blazing heat.

We are not so subtly encouraging SW-FOG to take on NAFO for 2016 because the places we are talking about are in the territory normally used by SW-FOG. When a regional rally takes on NAFO, the rally is typically held at the time their regular annual rally would have been held. SW-FOG is typically in the beginning of FJR rally season. For 2015 it is in the middle of May.

It seems most posting think it's just a matter of identifying a place they'd like to ride. The "Who" is FAR more important.
Matt
I'm gonna have to agree with Iggy on this one. We can wish all we want for it to be in the "ideal" spot, but until somebody steps up and wants to organize it, it's just daydreaming. I'm willing to help out.

I have no idea who would ever want to pick up that job. Sounds like a pain in the ass and a waste of precious vacation time.

Kudos to whoever steps up to this , if anyone does...cuz I have no idea what the personal motivation would be.

Well, if it's not in the ideal spot, then I'm not goin' no matter who steps up to run it.

bleh.gif
Well, you must not be goin! There isn't a perfect spot.
no.gif
Au contraire... There are many ideal spots, IMO.

Any place with great riding near by, a few restaurants within walking distance, enough hotel rooms to handle the masses, and a parking lot that they won't mind being taken over by a bunch of old hooligans each night would qualify as ideal in my books.

But I was just messing with Marty, really... ;)

I have no idea who would ever want to pick up that job. Sounds like a pain in the ass and a waste of precious vacation time.
Kudos to whoever steps up to this , if anyone does...cuz I have no idea what the personal motivation would be.
If done right and as a team it can be done well without wasting time. What I didn't like about it was the people that had no clue what it takes to put it together pissing and moaning and making unfounded accusations. It sure cured me of the desire to do it. I will, however, help any way I can.

As for the motivation, that is the easy part. I have met many really awesome people and really enjoy spending time with them. Makes it all worth it. (even you Mark!
tonguesmiley.gif
)

I didn't start this thread to try and influence anyone into doing it. I just know that it had been discussed at previous NAFO's and I missed it. If it doesn't happen I will be content to just visit regional meets for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.