Wytheville next weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLFJRS

Reaction score
I am meeting a friend in Wytheville for a fall get out of town weekend. Can anyone give suggestions for roads to ride NAD place to visit? Any outstanding food places?

We are arriving fridge and boogeying back home Sunday. Not a long weekend, but very much needed.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

You could start out in Marion, VA (not too far south of Wytheville) and run route 16 all the way to Beckley, WV. Then pick up route 41 and run that to US 60 and take it in an easterly direction to get to route 311 (in a southerly direction) to Paint Bank, VA. The is a restaurant in Paint Back that is known for Buffalo burgers but I think all of their food is good. They also do a lot of BBQ there. This is just one of many good routes.

BTW, just outside of Marion you enter Hungry Mother State Park. Some really nice curves in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could start out in Marion, VA (not too far south of Wytheville) and run route 16 all the way to Beckley, WV. Then pick up route 41 and run that to US 60 and take it in an easterly direction to get to route 311 (in a southerly direction) to Paint Bank, VA. The is a restaurant in Paint Back that is known for Buffalo burgers but I think all of their food is good. They also do a lot of BBQ there. This is just one of many good routes.
BTW, just outside of Marion you enter Hungry Mother State Park. Some really nice curves in there.
I second this route, called the Back of the Dragon from Marion to Tazewell, 32 miles of great riding and beautiful scenery. Stop at the store along the way and get your t shirt :)

The suggestions above are all good. the retaurant in Paint Bank is the Swinging Bridge and is, indeed, good. Also, there is a large herd of bison just down the road from there on 600 if you are interested. No good place to park and view, however.

Look @ SR 80 that runs from Honaker, VA to I-81. You will not be sorry. Good friggin twisty assed road.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look then over and see what we can ride. Let you know what we rode. Hoping the weather holds for the weekend. Hard to pack coming from the 90's yet in Florida. Looking forward to the cooler weather.

We rode ,in the rain, 16 up toward Beckley. Great road and beautiful colors. We let the GPS find a route back to the motel. Wow, great 3 digit numbered roads. I think we may do this again next year. Will keep all informed and maybe we can get together. Thanks for the good riding.

PS: it was 52 and raining Sunday morning when we were getting ready to leave. This Florida boy was not happy. Not what I had hoped for, made the best of the ride home. 630 miles in exactly 11 hours. Too many stops were it took 15 minutes to get gloves on and off. LOL!!

Great trip with a good friend.

Look @ SR 80 that runs from Honaker, VA to I-81. You will not be sorry. Good friggin twisty assed road.
I concur. If you go on 81 after riding it make sure you hold on to your GPS.
uhoh.gif

I concur. If you go on 81 after riding it make sure you hold on to your GPS.
uhoh.gif
Are you still mourning that thing?
wink.png
Hell no! I still think it hilarious. Especially the reactions of those following me and then Heidi surprised I was laughing about it!
Heh, well, it's not every day you see an entire GPS sliding down the road beside you....it was probably saying "Recalculating..." too. :D

lol... that hockey puck was useless anyway. You could've used it as your kickstand plate @ stops.