FJR again - this time AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddletramp

Reaction score
I loved my 2005 FJR but I needed to generate cash to finish a nasty divorce. I sold it the fall of 2011. I bought in new & logged over 36,000 wonderful miles on it.

I won't bore you all with the trivial details but here I am thinking of buying another FJR. I have a 2012 Super Tenere & really like it but it's not as comfortable for my 5' 10" passenger as we hoped it to be. When I met my present wife I still had the 2005 FJR & she absolutely loved riding on it. She was very disappointed when I sold it. We are adding the FJR as a touring bike but I would never part with the Super Tenere. It fits many important roles for me.

While I had new tires installed on my Tenere last Friday I spotted a nice 2008 FJR in the show room of the dealer installing the tires.. I was pumped about it until I realized it was an AE model & lacked a lever on the left handlebar. I was encouraged to take it for a test ride so I did. After firing it up and punching the little button by the green light we were underway. I was shocked...I really liked the bike! The differences between my Gen I FJr & the Gen II were quite noticeable. The heat was less of an issue & the engine seemed less buzzy than I remember my 2005 being. I thought the electric shifter was great. It gave me the option to use either my toe or finger. I told the dealership that I would consider buying the bike & to call me with thier best deal (it was closing time).

In short, after doing much internet research this weekend I can't find any real complaints with the AE model. This week just may find me the owner of the 2008 AE.

I've really missed having an FJR...can you tell!

Cheers!

I dun got me one (An '07 AE.) back in December, 'n after 10K mi. my only complaints are;

1.) It's real funky when cold, 'n mah job has me bop'in from place to place, so I have to sit there and let it warm up more than my old standard shift '07.

2.) Sum times whilst sport ride'in the twisties, it doesn't down shift as quick; you flick the lever, butt then the computer has to think 'bout everythang before it down shifts.

3.) The "clutch brain" takes up valuable real estate under the seat where mah Slime pump used to reside.

On the pluses;

1.) I went ta see mah old elementary school gf in the south bay, had ta go through the big city (SF) twice in one day, 'n mah left hand didn't cramp up. (Like it used to w/ mah old '07 FJR A.)

2.) The AE is basically a speed shifter; it's fun just hold'in on the gad 'n flick'in that little lever!
punk.gif

3.) They'z cheaper than the standard shift. Of course you ain't gonna get as much when ya sell the thing either, butt I don't buy fer resale; I buy 'em ta ride!

...1.) It's real funky when cold, 'n mah job has me bop'in from place to place, so I have to sit there and let it warm up more than my old standard shift '07.

2.) Sum times whilst sport ride'in the twisties, it doesn't down shift as quick; you flick the lever, butt then the computer has to think 'bout everythang before it down shifts....
1) Define "funky".
2) If you're doing a down-change with the throttle held open, it might be worth relaxing the throttle momentarily. If it's with the throttle shut, try it with a little throttle on. It's all to do with reducing the load on the gearbox and reducing the torque difference needed when getting into the new gear.

The real solution is to get a Gen III with YCC-S ;) .

I wouldn't be afraid of an AE model. Once you get use to them it's one slick invention. Oh, when it's cold, let it idle for a minute or two. No biggie.

I bought a 2007 AE on Saturday. I've wanted one for 5 years and finally got one. The electric shift option fascinates me. I've been riding 30 years so I have nothing to prove by keeping a shift lever.

I love the AE! Looking forward to re-mastering slow-speed maneuvers on this new-to-me bike. Mine needs a clutch soak and I'll likely be doing that in the next month.

I hemmed and hawed and fussed and researched and finally said, what the hell? Whats the worst that can happen?

I did get a good deal $ on it. I love it and sure wish they still made them. Keep the resale price low so I can buy more of them.
smile.png

If they made a US gen IIIAE, I would already have one.

I'm glad I went with an AE, 09 in my case. Upshifts while accelerating are quicker and smoother if you back off the throttle just a little during the shift. I suppose that Yamaha wanted to maintain a little interaction with the rider, as this aspect would be easy to automate. Ideally for me, I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.

I'm glad I went with an AE, 09 in my case. Upshifts while accelerating are quicker and smoother if you back off the throttle just a little during the shift. I suppose that Yamaha wanted to maintain a little interaction with the rider, as this aspect would be easy to automate. Ideally for me, I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.
No need on the Gen III, it's automated! Makes for even faster changes (I don't actually know that, but I like to boast ;) .)
I suspect they would have done it on the Gen II but there was no sensible way for the ECU to control the throttle. With the Gen III it's easy.

...1.) It's real funky when cold, 'n mah job has me bop'in from place to place, so I have to sit there and let it warm up more than my old standard shift '07.

2.) Sum times whilst sport ride'in the twisties, it doesn't down shift as quick; you flick the lever, butt then the computer has to think 'bout everythang before it down shifts....
1) Define "funky".
2) If you're doing a down-change with the throttle held open, it might be worth relaxing the throttle momentarily. If it's with the throttle shut, try it with a little throttle on. It's all to do with reducing the load on the gearbox and reducing the torque difference needed when getting into the new gear.

The real solution is to get a Gen III with YCC-S
wink.png
Funky in that when the bike's up ta operate'in temperature, the clutch disengages 'round 1600 rpm, and when it's cold around 2500 rpm. It also shutters 'n lurches when cold. Everythang works smoother 'n better when the bike's all warmed up. With my old A, I could turn the key, put mah gloves on, then ease out the clutch 'n off I go. W/ this AE, ya gotta warm it up a bit.

I recon yer right about the downshifts, cuz sometimes it shifts quicker than other times, and I know when it takes the longest is when I have the throttle closed. Thanks, I'll have to play w/ it. After ride'in manual shifts fer over 4 decades, it's hard to wrap mah brain 'round this.

...Funky in that when the bike's up ta operate'in temperature, the clutch disengages 'round 1600 rpm, and when it's cold around 2500 rpm. It also shutters 'n lurches when cold. Everythang works smoother 'n better when the bike's all warmed up. With my old A, I could turn the key, put mah gloves on, then ease out the clutch 'n off I go. W/ this AE, ya gotta warm it up a bit....
When up to operating temperature, clutch should start to engage at 1800, drop out at 1300. Any different either means it's been altered or there's a problem.

When cold, it will start to engage at maybe 500 rpm above whatever the idle speed is, and disengage at maybe 200 above its last known idle speed.

As far as I could tell, the MCU remembers whatever the last idle speed was, so that if, say, you started with a cold idle of 2000, it will engage at about 2500. When changing up a gear, it will slip the clutch until the road speed reached whatever was necessary for the engine to be at 2500 in the new gear. This can lead to apparently revving the engine more than you would have done with a manual clutch.

Then you find that, although the engine has warmed up within a couple of miles or so, the MCU doesn't know this. It will continue to insist on these high rpm changes until you've stopped the bike somewhere and the new warm idle can be measured. That's not so bad if the beginning of your journey is in a city with traffic lights or junctions where you have to stop occasionally, but if you're straight out onto a freeway it can be a nuisance.

If you are getting jerking during the engagement, this could be either because the clutch fluid needs bleeding, or because the clutch plates are sticking. If the clutch seems reluctant to disengage when you come to a stop, this is probably the clutch sticking, but could still be a fluid issue. If this is worse when cold, it's more likely a sticking clutch. Cleaning and soaking is a relatively easy job. Bleeding, not so easy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys! I'm still hunting for an AE. I've bid on a couple on eBay but no joy. I'm trying to find a low-mileage machine for under $7,000. I figure before spring I'll get the job done.

I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.
I just can't imagine why Honda is not selling the VFR1200XD Crosstourer stateside...
rolleyes.gif
I think you'd love this bike.

I've owned 2 FJRs and loved them, but as soon as I test-rode a friend's DCT Crosstourer I was hooked. I sold my 2005 FJR and got me a brand new one of those. It's no lighter than the FJR but extremely nimble, and that double-clutch tranny—coupled with the 130HP V-4 engine—is nothing short of amazing.

war_machine2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am waiting for Honda to put the DCT in a bike that I would actually want to own.
I just can't imagine why Honda is not selling the VFR1200XD Crosstourer stateside...
rolleyes.gif
I think you'd love this bike.

I've owned 2 FJRs and loved them, but as soon as I test-rode a friend's DCT Crosstourer I was hooked. I sold my 2005 FJR and got me a brand new one of those. It's no lighter than the FJR but extremely nimble, and that double-clutch tranny—coupled with the 130HP V-4 engine—is nothing short of amazing.

war_machine2.jpg
Very cool! Congrats on the ride, she's one great looking dual sporter :)

Good luck with the search 'tramp. Plenty of used bikes (and good deals) out there now!

@Stef, great looking Honda...bet it sounds nice with that Remus pipe!

--G

Good luck with the search 'tramp. Plenty of used bikes (and good deals) out there now!
@Stef, great looking Honda...bet it sounds nice with that Remus pipe!

--G
Indeed it does (although, I have to say, the sound of my twin LeoVinces + Holeshot headers on the FJR will never be beat...)
dirol.gif

Thanks Guys! I'm still hunting for an AE. I've bid on a couple on eBay but no joy. I'm trying to find a low-mileage machine for under $7,000. I figure before spring I'll get the job done.
I was able to get ^^ done last summer. Rode an '07 AE (strongly disliked it). Traveled 3 hours to check out an '08 AE with 6500 on it. Am a slacker compared to most here-just turned 16,000. Was not specifically looking for an AE but was the only way I could get "low miles" in my price range.

Only real adjustment was getting used to riding the back brake while maneuvering slow. As others have noted, it does like it a lot better if you let it warm up before you take off...