Best way to get to head light bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
I'm about to replace head light bulbs on my 03, and wanted to know whats the best way to get to the bulbs.

JL-MOC_LowRes.jpg

Ross beat me to it. Darn it. I scrape my knuckles to death changing bulbs. You want to at least get some views as to what it actually looks like in there - boot, clip, etc, before you try to do it by braille.

I'm about to replace head light bulbs on my 03, and wanted to know whats the best way to get to the bulbs.
All these "best" threads are a riot....especially without qualifications.

The "best" way to get to the bulbs barring no expense or time is to take it to the dealer and bring crullers and Starbucks for them.

The "best" way to get to bulbs if you don't want to become frustrated at the cramped quarters is to take the nose apart when you're doing something else major with the service manual at your side. What is critically important is you take pictures and post the process in this forum for the next time somebody asks about the "best" way to get to the bulbs.

The "best" way to to to bulbs if it's 3 a.m. in the morning in the Iron Butt Rally, the first one popped 3 days earlier, and you're going 80 mph when the 2nd one pops....is to roll off the throttle coasting to a stop hoping your eyes quickly adjust to the ethereal glow of the fog line and scant running lights. Make sure it's 40 something degrees so your fingers can seize up over the next 60 minutes making the task "hardest"....and just start feeling around until you get the boot off, the light out, the new light in...and then spend 15 minutes fumbling around getting the wire bail back in place, and another 20 minutes on the seal. If it's the right side....quadruple the time. I recommend this particular way though because its the most character building and makes the two other ways seem much easier and "more best".

There are probably other "best" ways, but I will tell you the Gen 1 is cake compared to the Gen 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I installed HID's, I simply waived the white flag (as to sneaking my hands up and in as they were just too big for this job).... still did it myself tho, took the front all apart. A full afternoon. Re-assembling was the same. A whole weekend I think was shot on my job but I also had to install ballasts etc.

One job I can't say I want to do again, but, everyone should try it at least once ;)

Good luck!!

Just don't let FYB, PowermanMike, or others change your bulbs for you.

You might find your bike dead at the side of the road with a stator fried on a Sunday night with rain coming down hundreds of miles away from home.

It's true.

That job kicked my ass. My brother in law had to do it for me. I got a demerit on my man card after that.....

To me its not that bad. I am 6'6" 275 pounds with large hands. I go in from the top and can have them both changed in less than 30 minutes. Usually blood free. Mine a 09 bike. Not sure if 03 had different clearance issues or not.

Was there ever a write-up to removing just the front headlight/cowl on a Gen 1 without taking off the side fairings? I googled to no avail
unsure.png

Was there ever a write-up to removing just the front headlight/cowl on a Gen 1 without taking off the side fairings? I googled to no avail
unsure.png
That's not the "best" way to do it as the OP wants....sorry. ;)

You, however, are going to a Tech event on Saturday. I can show you my 3 a.m. technique...I've gotten fairly adept at it.

The best way to do it is to have done it before! :) That's the only way to know that you should put some dielectric grease on the boot so that it's MUCH easier to remove the next time and know how the wire secures the bulb without being able to see it and what the correct orientation of the connector is when you plug it back in.

I'm sure you'll hate me for this, but earlier this week I changed my right bulb in about 10 minutes without any blood being released from any body parts! :yahoo: Bike was on centerstand and the forks turned all the way in the correct direction (sorry,can't remember which it was but it will the only one that allows a hand on the bulb). I stood on the right side of the bike facing rearward and reached the bulb from above with my right hand to pull the connector off, pull the boot off, unclip the wire and remove the bulb. Repeat in reverse with a new bulb. See how easy it is? :crazy: