running with crank case cover chipped

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjskach

Reaction score
I had a spill and I chipped a hole in the cover over the generator, not sure why they call this the crank case cover. Anyway I am hoping to get the bike home without replacing this cover. Should I attempt this or get a trailer and get the cover on before I run it? The part number for the cover is 3P6-15411-00-00 for a reference.

Thanks

Chris

Did the chip fall in or out?

If not in, put a blob of JB weld on it to cover the hole (if not too big). If bigger than a quarter inch or so, JB weld a patch over it. Just to keep dirt and water out.

Last edited by a moderator:
How far you going? Is it leaking? A piece of duct tape would cover it if it isn't leaking oil.

I don't think there is any fluid under this cover just the generator coils. Please confirm if anybody knows for sure. I have about 35 miles to get home. I was thinking duct tape also but was hoping somebody knows exactly what is under the cover. It is about a quarter size hole and I can see the coils inside doesn't appear that anything went inside. If I have to I can take the cover off and look, was hoping to avoid that though.

Thanks

Chris

I wouldn't trust duct tape to keep oil inside the engine. JB Weld would be better if the cover has actually become breached.

Oh yeah... there is definitely oil in there. It is below the sump level, but it gets splashed around in there where the alternator is.

1_DSCF8551.JPG

It is also called the stator cover. Crank case cover sounds like there should be oil involved, but am hoping that is not the case.

Chris

I just showed you that it does.

It's called the crankcase cover because that big thing sticking out (alternator rotor) is mounted on the end of the crankshaft.
wink.png

Sorry. But I think that may be the wise choice.

If a chunk of that cover went in, and you turned it over, it might be disastrous.

Good luck with your repair efforts

I was very lucky, I went over a 10ft embankment flipped and landed in a creek on my right side. My right side bag got crunched but saved my leg. My only injury was my pride and a cut on my nose from my inner helmet visor. I love my AE but being able to feather the clutch in a slow turn is very useful. Basically I was making a u turn and was rushed by on coming traffic and as I was trying to slowing engage 1st gear with the throttle, it jerked and in turn jerked my throttle more and off I went. There were pipes going under the road that I hit first with my left guard and also the crankcase cover, this flipped me and I landed on my side in the creek with huge boulders that hit my right bag and right headlight. It took 5 friends and a tow truck wench to get it upright and then maneuvered to go up a 10ft wood plank. In all, the main damage is mostly cosmetic, I hope! Won't know until I start digging into it. This was a day before I had to head to Europe for business and a week ride through the Alps on a 1200GS. By the way the Alps and the GS were fantastic :)

Well, very glad to hear it didn't screw up your Alps trip. That would have sucked. And even better that you felt well enough to take on that trip. Bikes are expensive toys, but they are still just "stuff". And with (the often mandatory) insurance, our finacial liabilities are usually limited.

I must say that this is the first time I have heard of an AE rider that felt his auto clutch device was a true safety liability.

But personally, I was never a big fan of the entire idea, so it does not impact me directly (or even indirectly).

Again, good luck with you repairs.

WOW!

Sounds like there was massive potential for more injurys than you sustained. Glad you were able to make your trip. Post up a RR so we can drool at the scenery. Glad to head it's mostly your pride that took a hit (been there done that). Best of luck with the repairs.

Greg

Like the avatar, F117 stealth fighter. I made a lot of parts for those planes. Glad you o.k.

Keep us up to date if you do the repairs yourself.

Dave

Just to point out, in the picture Fred W used above, the intermediate gear was on its shaft the wrong way round; I did this to put it somewhere clean while I had my cover off.

More pics from when I took it off to change it here.

Yeah, I just grabbed the first photo I could find of the alternator cover off to show there is indeed oil behind it. Didn't look quite right to me, but still used it. ;)

Sorry, I should have given credit to you, 'trophy, for the photo.

Yeah, I just grabbed the first photo I could find of the alternator cover off to show there is indeed oil behind it. Didn't look quite right to me, but still used it.
wink.png

Sorry, I should have given credit to you, 'trophy, for the photo.
No apology needed, glad it was of some use.