Blue led's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
I was wondering if Blue Led's are illegal to have on your bike- because of confusion with Fire Depts. or

other first responders. Would this be a state by state law ? Thanks in advance.

I see you're from New York. Section 375 of the N.Y.S. Vehicle and Traffic Law is the equipment section and will give you the legal answers. Try subsection 41.

Real world: Although you should remember the phrase "officer discretion", as long as the blue lights aren't facing forward you probably won't have a problem. If you're using them for accent lighting (like maybe in the side fairings?) and aren't hanging with crowds drawing attention from the local LEOs you'll probably be ok. I don't think anyone at Americade ever got a ticket during their light parade
smile.png
but then again many of those are on switches disabling the lights when on the open road.

One caveat. While other states have been banning them, New York is still holding steadfast in using monies for motorcycle only checkpoints. Just recently there was one locally with something like 80 summons and a few arrests made in just a few hours on a Sunday morning. You get diverted into one of those and I'd refer you back to the VTL - word for word.

Last edited by a moderator:
In case you can not tell, that Ogre guy knows his NY state laws

(for one reason or another)
rolleyes.gif

You just got the best advice you'll ever get on NYS jurisprudence. No charge!

What a great forum!

Hi Mikey!

In Ohio blue lights are illegal when vehicle is in motion. If setting somewhere and using as accent lights I would say you be ok. But again this is what Ohio does. Call the local or state police be your best bet.

But blue reflectors can be a different story because they don't have an internal light source and only reflect back light from external sources. Although there's some grey area in the local WA state rules, I read it to say they're okay and have installed some to hold my license plate on. I'm not sure if they've been effective in keeping cars off my tail because they don't want to tailgate a cop, but they are pretty cheap on ebay so I just consider them another safety tool in my toolbox. ;)

^^^^^^ Interesting use for blue reflectors Harald. There's something to be said for making others wonder a little bit.

Go with white, they look light blue when they reflect off of the engine. I know because I use to have that set up on my 09. I had to remove them because I started to get shorts and realized that I needed to use better quality light strips. I haven't had the $ to re-do it yet, but I'm researching some installers in my area to see who is the best.

Generally speaking any type of colored add on light is frowned upon if it projects from the bike. MOST states allow whatever color you want as long as the light is shrouded beneath body work and only provides ambient glow and the bulbs themselves cannot be seen plainly. I currently have a similar conundrum... bought the admore led kit for the givi v46 topcase on my 'Strom but it's the one with the clear lenses and the led's are also clear. Pretty sure the plain white lights functioning as running lights, turn signals, and brake lights will draw me a ticket. May try to switch the lenses from the v46 on my FJR to the newer v46 but that may just be too much trouble to deal with. I may just roll the dice and take a chance, phuckit. If it draws a ticket I'll pay it. I'd rather be seen and alive to get cited than get rear ended for a lack of visibility.

The question I have is could I get a few high powered blue LED's in a fairly flat 'shoulder pad' configuration, permanently attached to my JACKET, not bike, to use on the rare occasion when the freeway is stopped and I am (legally) lane sharing with high beam and 4ways going? Technically it is not on the bike... I can see that argument ending with "Tell it to the judge and sign here..."

I should not complain, it the three times the road has been closed (IE bad, stopped traffic for several miles) there are 100's of cars that ignore me a few dozen that make a little room and only about 3 that tried to squeeze in on me.

If you're moving, you shouldn't have the 4-ways on anyway.... Hazard lights are to warn passing traffic of a stopped vehicle. Period.

As for shoulder LEDs, they would be invisible to traffic in front of you anyway (the ones you say you want to notice as you approach,) hi beams or lows, so I'd think the question is irrelevant.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Greg 03" data-cid="1187374" data-time="1414132959"><p>

Generally speaking any type of colored add on light is frowned upon if it projects from the bike. MOST states allow whatever color you want as long as the light is shrouded beneath body work and only provides ambient glow and the bulbs themselves cannot be seen plainly. I currently have a similar conundrum... bought the admore led kit for the givi v46 topcase on my 'Strom but it's the one with the clear lenses and the led's are also clear. Pretty sure the plain white lights functioning as running lights, turn signals, and brake lights will draw me a ticket. May try to switch the lenses from the v46 on my FJR to the newer v46 but that may just be too much trouble to deal with. I may just roll the dice and take a chance, phuckit. If it draws a ticket I'll pay it. I'd rather be seen and alive to get cited than get rear ended for a lack of visibility.</p></blockquote>

I'm not familiar with that kit but I know colored LEDs don't really have colored "lenses". Are they actually white when you turn them on? They could very well be red.

As for the comment about hazard lights, they are for just that, to warn other drivers of hazards, wether that be a stopped vehicle or slow moving. Hence why you see semis with their hazards on going slowly up long hills. Don't be afraid to use them when moving if needed.

That is a state by state issue, same as lane sharing, which is legal here. I will admit a headlight modulator would be better for the stated purpose of getting attention but I don't have one of those either.

Posing or equipping to appear as though you might be law enforcement isn't a great plan A. More light is a great plan A. Go for white.

The question I have is could I get a few high powered blue LED's in a fairly flat 'shoulder pad' configuration, permanently attached to my JACKET, not bike, to use on the rare occasion when the freeway is stopped and I am (legally) lane sharing with high beam and 4ways going? Technically it is not on the bike... I can see that argument ending with "Tell it to the judge and sign here..."
I should not complain, it the three times the road has been closed (IE bad, stopped traffic for several miles) there are 100's of cars that ignore me a few dozen that make a little room and only about 3 that tried to squeeze in on me.
A legal alternative that looks pretty scary is to install translucent blue Air Wings behind the mirrors. These not only look like blue lights under the right circumstances, they are functional.