Need some input on making a tail rack for the '04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
I'm back on an "04 which has not much for mounting a rear rack. I'd like to add a small Pelican case to carry or store small light stuff, to a rack. The Gen II's have 3 bolts which would make it easy to do, but the Gen I only has one bolt. I'd like to keep the stock grab rails.

On my last '04, I made an "L" shaped tube bracket mounted in a channel under the plastic to the rear of the seat ahead of the taillights to receive the square shaft of a Corbin back rest. I could do that again, but that only makes two mounting points.

Any ideas/suggestions for a simple mount? I know I can buy a Givi rack, but I'd rather try to FUBAR it myself first.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just drilled 4 holes in my Gen1 rack, some nylon bushings, and 1550 Pelican. I tried without the existing rack and cracked my subframe. I scored a spare used rear rack for $10...so didn't worry about holes...yet never even used it.

That's what I considered doing since it would be for a light load, but thought I'd pick a few brains first.

Great minds think alike.

Thanks.