"What a wonderful bike"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
So today I did a round trip between my home in Derby and my brother-in-law's in Newmarket (120-odd miles each way) to pick up Brother-in-law, to bring him back to pick up his car that's parked at mine (long, irrelevant story).

Half-way back, he wants to stop for a pee (he's had surgery in "that" area). As he gets off the bike, he turns to me, and says "What a wonderful bike!", before disappearing behind a hedge.

:)

Is that a stock passenger pillion?
No, it's the Yamaha "Extra comfort seat". I can't tell the difference between it and the standard, maybe the pillion can. Anyway, I got it for free, and it definitely looks better than the standard.

MC, That statement at that exact moment has to be the Best FJR commercial, Ever!!
biggrin.png
You'd have to include the back story with the surgery in "that area." :D

MC, That statement at that exact moment has to be the Best FJR commercial, Ever!! :D
You'd have to include the back story with the surgery in "that area." :D
It's of no interest on a motorcycling forum, but you've asked for it.
Sister-in-Law had driven from their Newmarket home to Castleton in the Lake District, 40-odd miles further on from where I live, for a walking holiday with a group of ramblers.

Out walking, she is taken ill. An ambulance is sent for, tests are done, they want to take her to hospital, she refuses, goes back to the hotel where she is sharing a room with another walker.

Overnight, she has another episode, but appears to recover without medical intervention. In the morning she rings home, asks her husband (brother-in-law) to fetch her home. So he drives to us, dumps his car in our drive, my SWMBO (her sister) drives him to Castleton to pick her up, the three come back in the two cars to ours, we don't want her car left at the hotel.

They have lunch with us, then BiL drives SiL back to Newmarket, leaving her car at ours.

So, the next day I ride to Newmarket, pick up BiL, bring him back to Derby so he can drive her car back to Newmarket.

She's now being treated for heart problems, not yet fully diagnosed.

And the BiL's surgery? He recently had prostate cancer and had his prostate removed. A few weeks ago he was having radiotherapy to get rid of some residual stuff, latest tests show he's clear, will be re-tested after six months. However, his "control" is not back to normal.

Told you it was long and irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
MC, That statement at that exact moment has to be the Best FJR commercial, Ever!!
biggrin.png
You'd have to include the back story with the surgery in "that area."
biggrin.png
It's of no interest on a motorcycling forum, but you've asked for it.
Sister-in-Law had driven from their Newmarket home to Castleton in the Lake District, 40-odd miles further on from where I live, for a walking holiday with a group of ramblers.

Out walking, she is taken ill. An ambulance is sent for, tests are done, they want to take her to hospital, she refuses, goes back to the hotel where she is sharing a room with another walker.

Overnight, she has another episode, but appears to recover without medical intervention. In the morning she rings home, asks her husband (brother-in-law) to fetch her home. So he drives to us, dumps his car in our drive, my SWMBO (her sister) drives him to Castleton to pick her up, the three come back in the two cars to ours, we don't want her car left at the hotel.

They have lunch with us, then BiL drives SiL back to Newmarket, leaving her car at ours.

So, the next day I ride to Newmarket, pick up BiL, bring him back to Derby so he can drive her car back to Newmarket.

She's now being treated for heart problems, not yet fully diagnosed.

And the BiL's surgery? He recently had prostate cancer and had his prostate removed. A few weeks ago he was having radiotherapy to get rid of some residual stuff, latest tests show he's clear, will be re-tested after six months. However, his "control" is not back to normal.

Told you it was long and irrelevant.
Well it certainly wasn't as funny as I made it out to be. Here's hoping they both make their way to a full recovery. I'll have a pint in their honor tonight. Cheers.

Well it certainly wasn't as funny as I made it out to be. Here's hoping they both make their way to a full recovery. I'll have a pint in their honor tonight. Cheers.
Something about "be careful what you ask for"
yeaahh.gif

Thanks for your pint, it's appreciated.

I was given a couple of bottles of hard cider and will think of your BL as I sample. Not sure how cider is ordered, is it by the 'pint' or some other measure. In any case I'll toast him as I sample.

I was given a couple of bottles of hard cider and will think of your BL as I sample. Not sure how cider is ordered, is it by the 'pint' or some other measure. In any case I'll toast him as I sample.
Here, it's by the pint. A proper Imperial pint, not the itsy-bitsy US pint. But it tastes and toasts the same whatever the measure ;) .
BiL brews his own beer, it's good stuff :) .

re: Cider

It's cidering time around these parts of the colonies right now, and no shortage of apples in New England (yet). Our son (the brewer) now lives as a part time care-taker on an "estate" (there is no other word for it) of some wealthy folks that own a large property and have a full-on cider mill on premiss. It is actually water-power driven, which is ultra cool, and oh so Vermont green.

Last weekend we visited them and the mill was churning out fresh sweet cider. I think that the owners may have some ideas about him (and his GF, who is also a pro brewer) looking after the fermentation of their cider, in addition to watching the house, dogs and horses.

I bet it will be kick ass juice either way. I'm thinking a pint (even a wimpy 16 ouncer) may be too much for one sitting. Can't wait to try some. ;)

PS - We do have wonderful bikes, these FJRs of all generations. And we all know it well. But it is still nice when an "outsider" to the clan acknowledges that. ;)

...PS - We do have wonderful bikes, these FJRs of all generations. And we all know it well. But it is still nice when an "outsider" to the clan acknowledges that.
wink.png
Seem to remember someone saying Gen IIs were all a POS
headbonk.gif

But I agree with you
drinks.gif

Yeah, they are...

Those Gen 1s all suck. Their ticking and ticking and ticking. Endless ticking. And that unbearable heat!! And some of those POS without Automagic Baking Systems... They should recall them all. They're dangerous I tell ya.

And them Gen 2s with the melting ignition switches (recall), and spiders biting all your tender bits (recall), and those altitude handicaps (recall). They should recall they entire bunch of 'em.

And then there was that shitty auto clutch thing (freaky!) thatr they tried to pass off on us ... But we resisted. We showed them!

Now these 3rd Germs with the break-away mirror mounts and "soft as shit" paint. Oh gawd, what's next.

It's a true wonder anyone would ever buy one of these crappy inferior bikes. Why, they are all so far inferior in comparison to all... the... other... ...

Oh. Nevermind..

Yeah, they are...
Those Gen 1s all suck. Their ticking and unbearable heat and some without Automagic Baking Systems...

Them Gen 2s with the melting ignition switches, and the Altitude handicaps, and then there was that shitty auto clutch freaky thing they tried to get us all to buy... But we resisted.

Now the 3rd Gens with the break-away mirror mounts and soft as shit paint.

It's a wonder anyone would ever buy one of these inferior bikes. Inferior in comparison to all... the... other... b...

Oh. Nevermind.
Some of us are still able to buy a "shitty auto clutch freaky thing", and this one is very glad he did :) .

I guess you didn't show 'em!

:tonguesmiley:
Yeah! I'll show 'em. When I give up riding, then I'll get rid of this POS. That'll show 'em.
Meanwhile, to avoid losing face, I shall continue to call my POS a wonderful bike :) .

I wonder what your BIL would have said if you would have pinned the throttle in 2nd gear when he wasn't holding on.

Maybe the rider had something to do with his opinion. You do meet the nicest people on a Yamaha. Lol...

Latest posts