Suspension Upgrades?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DezzertRider

Reaction score
Living here in the west where we don't get all kinds of freezing weather to create pot holes and ripples in the pavement, I was wondering if most of the suspension upgrades are done by folks back east and up north? I'm sure I would probably notice the improvement of a $1500 rear shock, however the roads out here in the west are overall smooth everywhere and I can't remember in recent memory anytime that I had to dodge a pot hole. I grew up in the midwest (Kansas City, Mo) and remember the "pavement"if you want to call it that. Bumps, ripples, and patched over pot holes everywhere. I would suspect if I lived there again, I might be looking for a suspension upgrade? So, would I really benefit from a suspension upgrade? $1500.00 - $2000.00 buys a lot of gas and other farkles.

Well, as one who lives in an area of the US that has some of the most challenging road conditions around, second in shittiness only to some of the Northeastern Canadian Provinces, I would say that there is a germ of truth to what you say. Not only as added motivation to replace the worn out stock suspension, but also that the rougher roads are more apt to damage the stock suspension quicker. Nothing highlights the advantage of better suspension more than riding tight, curvy back roads with bumps in every corner.

But rougher roads also mean a skewing of the suspension's desired characteristics. Some of our southern riding brethren will set up their suspension with spring rates and damping suitable for race track use. But, while that kind of minimal compliance setup is great for razor sharp handling on nice smooth tarmac, it would be much too stiff on the frost heaves of the north country and would have tires skittering around the corners.

I recall reading reports from southerners who absolutely hated riding even our most fun and scenic roads and couldn't wait to get back down south again, most likely because they just weren't used to having to deal with the bumps but also because their bikes were not properly set up for them. I liken riding on bumpy northern country roads to snow skiing through mogul fields. When you get onto a good rhythm it can be smooth and fast, and a rewarding-ly fun ride. When you are out of sync it can be quite miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Fred,

Thanks for affirming my thoughts on this. I guess this came to me this past weekend on a twisty section of road up near Prescott AZ. Overall the section of road is smooth, but there are a couple of areas where it is bumpy. As I was leaned over going through the turn, I passed over the bumpy area and felt quite unsettled. When you are leaned over and feel the rear skipping over the bumps its a little unnerving. As I left the turn, I thought now there is where some high-end suspension would come in handy...

After nearly 65,000 miles, I upgraded my '05, front and rear. I had considered buying a new motorcycle, but I like the one I have, and the market for new bikes, including, the 2014 FJR, was pretty uninteresting. A final factor was the fact that I had never had a first-class suspension on a motorcycle, and I wanted to see what it is like.

Since an OEM shock was around $700.00, and an Ohlins about $300.00 more, I went for the Ohlins. My mechanic recommended Race Tech for the front end rebuild, and, since he's taken care of my bike since I bought it new, I took his advice.

After about 1,000 miles, I am very pleased with the results. It is most noticeable when riding two-up, and I am still playing around with the adjustments. Frankly, the old suspension was so worn that just about anything new would have been an improvement. WBill