Gen III Preload Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
I've not seen this mentioned before, and a quick search didn't reveal it, so here goes.

Yesterday I did my first ride with a pillion, so dutifully set my preload to two helmets, no problem.

Having made my trip, I wanted to revert my preload to one helmet, so switched the menu to show the spring. But the helmets and bike weren't in the display.

Checked I was in neutral, engine running, all that good stuff. Nope, no helmets, and playing with the "select" switch did nothing.

Then it hit me. At the bottom of the display was the 'TRIP-F' and the miles since the fuel gauge started blinking.
(Click on image for larger view)

(The above picture was taken after I'd refuelled but before the TRIP-F had reset itself, so the gauge shows full.)

So, I cycled the menu to get the display options, selected a different display from the 'F', then switched the menu back to the spring. Low and behold, two helmets sat on a motorcycle appeared, and I could now switch back to one helmet.

So, if you want to change your preload, make sure the 'TRIP-F' display isn't active. (That may go for other settings, I didn't try anything else).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed it also: When it switches over to reserve count down it really messes up all of the displays.

The only way out if it is what mcatrophy describes.

Yep, I've experienced this too. All of the screens are basically locked out - windshield adjustment, grip warmers, etc. - until you can reset the reserve countdown after refilling. This seems a bit overkill just to make sure you notice you are on reserve!

Yep, I've experienced this too. All of the screens are basically locked out - windshield adjustment, grip warmers, etc. - until you can reset the reserve countdown after refilling. This seems a bit overkill just to make sure you notice you are on reserve!
Allen, I do recall experiencing these same thing happening but I thought I was able to override the reserve count down and access other functions like windshield and grips. I guess I just haven't tried playing with the ES suspension while on reserve. October is holding out with some good riding weather in ND this year maybe I will get a chance to give it another try.

Note I didn't have to reset the display, merely switch it to one of the normal 3 displays, leaving the reserve display available so I could switch back to it to photograph it
smile.png
(or to let it keep reminding you after you've thrown off your passenger or whatever).

Just checked on the other functions, my screen and grips will change even with the TRIP-F display showing, the damping won't unless the display screen is switched away from the TRIP-F display, then it's normal.

Note I didn't have to reset the display, merely switch it to one of the normal 3 displays, leaving the reserve display available so I could switch back to it to photograph it :) (or to let it keep reminding you after you've thrown off your passenger or whatever).

Just checked on the other functions, my screen and grips will change even with the TRIP-F display showing, the damping won't unless the display screen is switched away from the TRIP-F display, then it's normal.
Interesting...I thought I was able to do the same on mine earlier this year. About a month ago this topic came up so I purposely rode to reserve -something I do not usually do - and checked. When doing this recently I could have sworn the other screens were visible but I could not adjust anything!
I guess I'll have to try this agian...

About a month ago this topic came up so I purposely rode to reserve -something I do not usually do - and checked. When doing this recently I could have sworn the other screens were visible but I could not adjust anything!
You can, but you specifically have to to the menu screen and toggle to a view that's not the TRIP-F display. Then you'll be able to see other screens. The only indication you're in the TRIP-F mode is the flashing fuel screen element. I confirmed this Saturday evening coming home from the PNW tech gathering as I rode purposely to about 0.4 fuel left and had some time to fiddle.

I discovered at my first fuel fill up last year that I couldn't reset my trip meters until I went to another function and came back to the trip meters. Would this be the same thing? Of course I only have a lowly '13 so I guess there really no relevance to this subject.

I discovered at my first fuel fill up last year that I couldn't reset my trip meters until I went to another function and came back to the trip meters. Would this be the same thing? Of course I only have a lowly '13 so I guess there really no relevance to this subject.
Don't think the '13 is any lower in this regard.
My guess is you weren't pressing the button properly. I've mentioned this before (I'll try to find the reference). Unless you press the reset button dead square in the centre, it's unlikely to work. As far as I can tell, it's a very small switch buried in a lot of rubber. If you go a bit off-centre or not straight on, it won't function. I find it almost impossible with my gloves on.

You were probably trying but not pressing it quite right, moved away and did something else (playing with menus), then came back and caught it right.

[edit]looky here.[/edit]

Don't think the '13 is any lower in this regard.
My guess is you weren't pressing the button properly. I've mentioned this before (I'll try to find the reference). Unless you press the reset button dead square in the centre, it's unlikely to work. As far as I can tell, it's a very small switch buried in a lot of rubber. If you go a bit off-centre or not straight on, it won't function. I find it almost impossible with my gloves on.

You were probably trying but not pressing it quite right, moved away and did something else (playing with menus), then came back and caught it right.

[edit]looky here.[/edit]
In rereading my post I meant to say that I couldn't access the trip meters when the Trip F Mode is showing without leaving menus and going to another function. At least that has been my experience. I have no problem in normal fill ups, just when I have gone into the reserve mode. Thanks for the heads up though.

Jer