Gen I front fork rebuild/refresh suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMGM

FJRMGM
Reaction score
my '05 FJR non-abs now has 104,000 miles on it and I'm thinking about getting the front forks rebuilt with new seals, bushings, etc.

I already have Wilburs springs in the forks so really just want to get things freshened up and back to specs.

I know I could take it to the dealer to get this done but haven't priced that yet - for those that have had this done what was cost?

Anyone used a suspension place they recommend to do this type of work?

If so, what was turnaround and approximate cost?

thanks.

Anyone used a suspension place they recommend to do this type of work?
If so, what was turnaround and approximate cost?
Talked about many times on the forum. GP Suspension is one of several options. I'd Google their website and look for latest prices.

thanks. Looking at GP suspension website now thanks.

Their prices are significantly lower than what local dealer, who only rebuilds forks once in a while, has quoted me.

I really like this part - "All fork tubes and shock shafts are polished to remove all surface material that may tear the new forks or shock seals."

Good reason for a road trip in my book George.. A phone call to set up an appointment and he's got a day to play after!

Don't suppose you'd entertain the thought of doing it yourself? This job ain't rocket science. The most sophisticated tools you need are a floor jack to raise the front end (PLEASE remember to wedge a block of wood in the jack chassis as a safety just in case the hydraulic cylinder decides to take a dump while your forks are removed. Didn't happen to me, but I've heard of it) and a torque wrench.

There's a "how-to" on this forum with pictures and description that simply fantastic. It's printed in my shop and tucked away nicely in my "FJR Maintenance Binder".

I did mine just less than a year ago. Fred W and lots of other guys on the forum walked me through it. Saved a fortune. Did the whole job for about 150 including parts and oil. Now I have new seals, fresh oil, and new bushings. My 05 is running sweet. I've still got the special tools needed to do a Gen 1. I did a huge write up with pictures to fill in the missing info about doing this job yourself. Everything you need to git-er-done is on this forum. If you can change spark plugs, you can do your forks. It's honestly not that hard. The forum has done the hard part for you.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Then start changing that fork fluid regularly. I changed the fork fluid on my 05 every winter during down time. Cleaned the seal lip with a MotionPro Sealmate and polished the exposed portion of the upper tube to the best of my ability, usually with Radman giving me grief for not doing it just right. I never had the fork tubes separated. I never had a leak, clunking, etc. and always had a smooth functioning fork. 72K later no problems. My 13 gets the same treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then start changing that fork fluid regularly. I changed the fork fluid on my 05 every winter during down time. Cleaned the seal lip with a MotionPro Sealmate and polished the exposed portion of the upper tube to the best of my ability, usually with Radman giving me grief for not doing it just right. I never had the fork tubes separated. I never had a leak, clunking, etc. and always had a smooth functioning fork. 72K later no problems. My 13 gets the same treatment.
I've given both of my GEN IIs forks the same treatment with annual fluid changes and seal TLC. Although it'll make the bushings last longer, there's still going to be a point where replacement is needed...

--G

thanks for all the suggestions.

I do and have changed the fork fluid regularly but the bike has 105,000 happy motoring miles on it and I figured it was time to freshen things up a bit.

I have thought about doing it myself but recent health issues have caused me to not be able to do certain types of work on my bike like I used to be able to do. And I don't have a vise or any way to hold the fork while I work on it.

Anyone within reasonable riding distance of Branson Missouri who has the facility and tools to work on this that would like to guide me through it if I ride to meet up with you?

So, with that many miles on your bike's forks, the biggest thing that you'll do to improve the suspension is to replace the fork oil, which at this point will be totally degraded and as thin as water, and to get some new bushings installed. Your bushings have worn the teflon coating off a while ago. And while that is not a huge disaster (as some surmise) it does cause some increased stiction, which reduces the small impact compliance of the forks. When you get the new bushings in you'll be surprised how the little® bumps seem to disappear.

If you already have better (more appropriate) springs, maybe just an oil change and new bushings will get you what you seek. The cost of those things (done at home) is miniscule. And while it is not as easy as doing an engine oil change, it isn't all that challenging if you fancy yourself as somewhat mechanically competent. There are several good guides available as to how that job will go.

Of course getting the forks right is only half the battle. What have you done to the rear end over those 100k miles? If I were in your shoes I'd try to snap up one of those brand new 3rd gen A shocks and stuff that in the back of your old girl. That and the refresh up front could totally transform her for only about $500 total spend.

as stated before I change the fork oil about every 20k miles or so and am always amazed at how dirty it looks.

This bike had a Wilburs suspension upgrade years ago when we had a group buy so it has different fork springs and a Wilburs rear shock which I have service/refreshed about every 30-35k. The rear shock is getting sent out for refresh as soon as the prime fall riding season is over here in northern Arkansas.

The suspension upgrade was one of the best things I did to this bike.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

#1 get your teeth whitened, you will be smiling a lot more, may make people suspicious

#2 invest in your favorite tire and fuel company, you will go lots faster & use up both at a much quicker rate

#3 don't try to tell your buddies how much better the bike is, they will find out when they try to follow you

#4 tell your SO it is a new bike for < $1500.00 and since you saved so much $$ it is OK to get new gear & more farkles

#5 see if you can round up a few dozen "Get out of Jail FREE cards" and see how many cops HotRodZilla knows in other states

Latest posts