Samsung Galaxy S5 on the Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
So let me just say my Galaxy S5 has been great. A few things I like about it: it's basically waterproof ( can be submerged up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes), certified dustproof, and seems very, very tough. 2 days on a charge easy when traveling.

One thing it has that is really cool is a built in infrared remote (I don't know of another phone that has this...). I've used it some, but on my last trip it was great. I'm in a little motel in central Utah, I ask them who their cable provider is, and within minutes, I'm set up running the TV from my phone AND I have the complete TV Guide on my phone screen, including what's playing now, and what's coming up. The Guide is actually better than what's on my DVR at home. See a show you want--just touch the button on the phone and the TV hits that channel. Plus, I didn't have to use the nasty remote in the room.

Very cool!

My galaxy S4 has this feature. I never use it.
Yeah, my S4 Mini has it too. Fun for messing with people at the pub, but I haven't found a "real" use for it yet. Spud's application makes sense, though.
Nice to be able to change the music on the jute box if you don't like the song ...
coolsmiley02.gif

I have a universal remote on a key ring that lets me, at a minimum, shut off those obnoxiously-loud TVs when I go some place for lunch. Hijinks ensue.

The app is pre-installed, it's called Smart Remote. The guide looks like this. Touch the show you want, the TV goes to it. Nice when you've got 100 cable channels in a motel room and no way to know which channels are which networks and what's on....

screenshot_2014-04-24-13-26-26-224x400.png

I've got the Galaxy S4 and I'm now just expired on my contract. I'm not upgrading yet however as I don't see enough improvement in the S5 to justify another 2 years commitment.

Glad you're liking the 5 tho, I guess I'm going to hold for the 6... or 7 ... or 8 ;)

That is another reason I am considering going to the Darkside of the Iphone family.

The whole family here is iphone. I get shunned as soon as I mention a phone or device that is not apple.

Good info. I am looking at the 6 plus iphone. It does seem to be an upgrade worthy device from my iphone 5

But that S5 is sweet. Do you mount it on the bike with an Xgrip or similar???

Did the 5 to 6+ upgrade and have been living with it for about a month. Get a case for it. It's sleek enough that it wants to slide off a flat table.

It's a great upgrade from the 5. I never regret it while using it. It continues to get better as developers upgrade their previous apps for the larger screen.

When not using it, putting it away in a pocket or otherwise dealing with it reveals (IMO) the upper size limit of a phone. It's occasionally inconvenient but not enough to outweigh the advantages I like when using it.

Not that I'd be that asshole, but folks in taverns get a little upset when somebody uses their phone to turn off the TV during an important spot in the game. Or so I've been told...

Yes....when these first came out, a riot nearly erupted at the local Buffalo Wild Wings when about 6 TV's simultaneously shut off right as the opening kick was flying through the air for an NFL game.... wasn't me but a server told me about it and people were pissed!

I've had an S5 since about July. It's a cool phone! I've seen the Smart Remote icon but just never used it. I guess I should as my phone already interacts with my home security and my work car.

FWIW, we have three iPhones my house. My wife's 4, my work 4 and my daughter's 5. Small pieces of crap. I guess they're ok for my daughter's and wife's small fingers. Me not so much.

My work phone is a brand new iPhone 4that is only 3g. I carry my Galaxy on me and my work phone stays in my car running Pandora. Unless I have to call a weirdo.

I use my S4 phone as a GPS on the bike (beware canada travel for US folks)....

It worked flawlessly the entire time, except we we got into some wet weather.... not a huge deal, just slid it in my pocket for short period of time, and went along by voice commands on the Sena 20s.... I was very happy with its performance unti I hit Canada LOL....

I'm interested in the S5 for its water resistant properties though.... I wouldn't have to put it away at all.... That would be awesome.

Hmm... hard to compare a current phone (S5) with one release on June 24th, 2010. The 4 (assuming not the 4GS as that wasn't specified) would be a peer with the Samsung Galaxy 3.

• Size: 113.5mm x 55mm x 12.55mm (4.47" x 2.17" x 0.49")
  • Weight: 109 grams (3.8 ounces) with battery
  • Display: 3.2" 145.8 pixel density

Last edited by a moderator:
All I did was search for what phones were available in mid 2010 and sent a link. My point was that saying your current S4 should outperform an iPhone that was released in 2010.

Am I missing something?

Negative on missing something, was in total agreement - there is no comparison phone in any apple catagory IMO to a decent Android phone......

I just want a waterproof / water resistant phone