Canyon Cage Bag protectors and slider combo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Here is what I am thinking of doing. Bear with me please!

Here are the T-Rex sliders that I have on my 2014 now. They are very substantial, are wider, and distribute the load on the frame over a greater area than conventional sliders.

DSC00663_zps3a9b85fe.jpg

DSC00664_zps8bbb5002.jpg

DSC00662_zps2dbb2723.jpg

I am thinking of ordering just the Canyon Cages for the saddle bags, and using them in conjunction with the T-Rex sliders. I haven't let the bike over slowly to see where the sliders hold the bike up. Tomorrow morning after work perhaps I will use a piece of plywood or cardboard and hold it up along side the bike to simulate it laying on its side. I am not looking for anything more protection than a parking lot or garage drop. I say this because there have been a couple of times in a parking lot where I have had a little scare. One time I was sure that it was going to go down, albeit, slowly. But I managed just a bit more adrenaline, and saved it.

Has anyone else tried this combo? Has anyone else....ahem...tested this combo? What say the collective??

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I don't (yet) own a GEN III...

The canyon cages look so damn good and provide so much protection on GEN IIIs, the whole combo is hard to beat. If it were mine, I'd flip the T-Rex sliders and go all the way!

Just my $.02.

--G

I am going to use the $$$$ for gas and motels, take more trips, and be careful making parking lot U-turns and pushing my bike around the garage.

If you decide to do the test, use cardboard, not plywood; maybe some towels too so the Gen III shit paint doesn't get rubbed. Make sure you have at least two helpers to let it down easy. Fold the mirror in before the test - don't need a broken subframe.

If you decide to do the test, use cardboard, not plywood; maybe some towels too so the Gen III shit paint doesn't get rubbed. Make sure you have at least two helpers to let it down easy. Fold the mirror in before the test - don't need a broken subframe.
Actually I was planning to simulate the bike on its side by "bringing the floor up to the bike" instead of actually laying the bike down like Eric F did in his tip test video by using a partial sheet of plywood or cardboard. I would lay the plywood on the floor beside the bike, slide the edge against both tires, then lift the plywood up to see what contacts the bike first. Hoping that the sliders will be enough to keep the mirrors "off the ground" since I like the look of the sliders better. Still looking for a poor soul that has actually had experience dropping their bike with these sliders on, and how they worked!

Edit: haha, just noticed the"shit paint"reference! Gotta have a recall for that one guy that got the soft stuff!

If the drop is anything other than a slo-mo event, there is always the chance that the slider becomes a pivot point which could allow the ground to smack the mirror, even if the "test" shows that it would not make contact. No easy way to simulate that without risk.

Here is the result from my "measurements" this morning. See if you guys find any fault with my results. Took a 1" piece of styrofoam insulation, layed it on the floor next to the bike, and rotated it up until the surface contacted the slider. Here is the view from the top.

DSC00749_zpsde4ad366.jpg

The styrofoam is contacting both tires and the slider, and the footpeg is folded up. I know that the attitude with the bike actually down will be somewhat different, I am kind of taking into account the Canyon Cage bag guard filling in some of the space at the bag. Here is the view from the front.

DSC00750_zpse3ea37e0.jpg

There appears to be ample room from the "ground" to the mirrors in this shot, even taking into account the slight angle difference there would be actually on the ground with the bag guards mounted. It seems similar to EricF's tip test with the modified sliders installed on the cages that changed the fulcrum point dramatically. Keep in mind that I am ultimately looking for the 0 mph mishaps that can happen in the garage, parking lot or with sudden brake application in slow maneuvering traffic when you have to stab at the brake because of some idiot (them or me!).

I really believe that this combination would work well together without the costly front cages since I already have the sliders installed and like the looks of them.

Thoughts?

I think it's a good attempt, but like anything, you won't know until it actually goes over. If it makes you happy, stick with what you currently like. If your bike goes over and they don't work like you thought, call your insurance, save some money installing the panels yourself and use the extra for the cages.

Maybe you'll get lucky and never need them!

Yup, hoping to never have to find out, but looking for the cheapest, most effective insurance.

I have installed the Canyon Cage bag protectors with the extended length OES frame sliders on the Gen2. Dad was kind enough to let the bike fall over in some gravel last year so we could test my work.

In the real world, when the bike falls over it continues to roll past the slider and the mirror will hit the ground. It just happens that way, I don't know why. The bags are protected by the Canyon Cage directly in front of them.

There are two major drawbacks to the Canyon Cage bag protectors.

1. The passenger pegs have to be permanently folded out.

2. The bar is in the way of the passenger's foot. There is very little room left for the passenger to place her (or his) feet.

There are two major drawbacks to the Canyon Cage bag protectors. 1. The passenger pegs have to be permanently folded out.

2. The bar is in the way of the passenger's foot. There is very little room left for the passenger to place her (or his) feet.
I'll have to take a picture, but on my Gen 3 the passenger pegs can be folded up with no problems at all.

I don't usually ride 2 up as my wife has her own ride, but you are correct, they take up some room for the passenger's feet.

I was going to order some Canyon Cages...

I have passenger footpads/boards on my 04 for my wife...and was going to do the same for the 13.

My question is this: if the footpads/boards provide a little extra room ahead of the peg, do you still think the rear bag guards would be in the way?

I have a friend who's canyon cages, front and rear, on his gen II saved his leg. The rear cage bent the mount points but that was much better than bending his ankle. And yes, he now has them on his, new to him, gen II.

I was going to order some Canyon Cages...
I have passenger footpads/boards on my 04 for my wife...and was going to do the same for the 13.

My question is this: if the footpads/boards provide a little extra room ahead of the peg, do you still think the rear bag guards would be in the way?
I think that depends on how she likes to place her feet on the boards typically. If she usually has her heel on the pads, then I think she will be OK.

If she likes to have the balls of her feet on the pads then the cage might get in the way a bit.

You'll have to check on her favored foot position. Hopefully that position, is not firmly planted between your ass cheeks. LOL
winksmiley02.gif

These pics are from the installation on Dad's Gen2. The boot in the picture is a size 10 Justin steel toe workboot. I am assuming few FJR passengers will have a foot like mine.

Looks like they have re designed the bag protectors and gotten rid of the brace that goes to the foot peg bracket. It is now mounted on the muffler support which may afford more foot room.

MC_Ent_1200_310_zpsdc25cc9e.jpg