My First Track Day...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SECA_to_FJR

Reaction score
Well, I did my first track day at Thompson Motor Speedway last month. It was FANTASTIC! ... but I must admit, even though i have been riding since I was 12 and "think" I'm a pretty good rider, I had some butterfiles. It was great program though with both track time and classroom time and I will definitely do it again.

I had the option of taking my 2006 FJR (not really a track bike at all) or my son's 2006 Ninja 650R (not really a rice "rocket" but certainly much lighter and more nimble than 600 pounds of FJR)... Thing was, I'm just more comfortable on my FJR, so heavy or not that's what i took. I was the ONLY guy with a shaft drive bike that day and probably one of the heaviest bikes there. (couple of other big non-sport bikes there but could not tell what they were).

I glad I took it and I think it did the FJR community proud. Obviously it was heavy to throw around but once I got comfortable and my track confidence went up, I was filing down the feeler under the foot peg pretty good and for a big bike it handled well. Obviously in the straights it was very quick and if i didn't want to get passed there I typically didn't. Anyway, blah blah...a great time!

Couple of pics to share with you all...

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-1225.jpg

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-953-2.jpg

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_9-23-14c1-2119.jpg

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!

Someday, when I have money, time and tires I will do the same... (dream dream dream)

How much did it cost if I may ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran my '08 AE at Thompson in the red and yellow groups in July. It was challenging in that many riders in the red group were nearly stopping in the tight turns (frustrating), and I was definitely holding folks back in the yellow group. Tony's Track Days ran one non-sportbike track day this year and it was so successful they plan on doing it again in 2015 (perhaps twice). I will be going out on at least one of these.

The Feejer is a beast down the straight!

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_7-20-14c1-DewinGarnsey_zps6993a682.jpg

Great! I did one on my FJR last year while my race/track bike (SV 650) was getting a motor job. Really enjoyed it as well. The best part of doing a track day on your street bike is that you get a chance to push it harder in 'safe' conditions and explore more of the limits. It really does make one a better street rider. Tony's is great and also Fish Tail for track days.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!
Someday, when I have money, time and tires I will do the same... (dream dream dream)

How much did it cost if I may ask?
The track program itself was $175 for 1 day. (Not sure if that is typical for a track day?). There are other costs you should be aware of to either buy or rent the required gear though. I needed a track suit, boots and back protector that cost me about $500 (and that was for entry level stuff on sale/clearance). You can rent a suit for about $80 in my area though. I looked at the intial gear up like buying snowboard or ski equipment as a one time cost. I know i will continue doing these 1-2 times a year so it was worth it. I hope you can take the plunge someday. Excellent experience!

Great pictures! Glad you had (safe) fun!

I did a track day at (the old) Thunderbird circuit near Phoenix a few years back with my 21-year-old son. It may have been the most fun thing we ever did together. It was $900 for the morning and afternoon sessions with rented R-6s for both of us. I figured renting track-ready bikes was cheap insurance against the cost of fixing up a wrecked FJR.

I looked at the intial gear up like buying snowboard or ski equipment as a one time cost.
Yeah... one time cost. Not a regular skier then I guess?

'Cause that "initial gear-up cost" keeps coming around on me about every two or three years.

As it does for MC riding gear, especially if you use it more than once or twice a year..

But then, I've been accused of being a gear whore. :rolleyes:

I ran my '08 AE at Thompson in the red and yellow groups in July. It was challenging in that many riders in the red group were nearly stopping in the tight turns (frustrating), and I was definitely holding folks back in the yellow group. Tony's Track Days ran one non-sportbike track day this year and it was so successful they plan on doing it again in 2015 (perhaps twice). I will be going out on at least one of these.
The Feejer is a beast down the straight!

Track_Day_TTD_Thompson_7-20-14c1-DewinGarnsey_zps6993a682.jpg
NICE pic Mr Moto! I know what you mean about the mix of riders in the groups. Obviously as a first timer I was required to ride in the red group but overall "my" red group were "seasoned" riders that moved pretty quick with a couple of slower riders mixed in. The slower riders did jack us up here and there but were pretty easy to pass anywhere though (on the outside in most turns and of course you could pass pretty much anyone in the long straight on the Feejer if you really twisted the throttle!).

After a while what i found on my day was, NOT blasting down the straight everytime to pass someone (or not be passed). I found it much more rewarding to pass someone on the turns (if i could) rather than waiting to pass on the straight just because the FJR is so fast. Also i would deliberately back off a bit on the straight to let people pass and then have more "room" to work on "my lines" OR have a target to try to recatch. Even after seven sessions on the track I don't feel like I had even a single "perfect" lap around the track. Just so much more technical than on the road (and so fun)! Can't wait for next year. Maybe the NH track???

That looks fun. Great pics. When I'm ready for a new bike, the 05 will be out there. Our tracks out here are $150 with lesson for first time. Definitely on the bucket list.