Can the FJR Handle It?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patent1

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
4-5 of us are planning a bike trip to Northern Arizona/Southern Utah for next year. Trip duration will be 7-12 days, depending on overall cost/day etc. We plan to ride mostly paved roads, but there will be sections which are dirt (Moki dugway, Valley of the Gods, Moab). Has anyone ridden this area on an FJR? Would you recommend riding your own bike (in my case, 2005 w/abs) or renting an adventure bike like the BMW GS bikes? I'm a little concerned about the FJR's shaft drive and weight; on the other hand, she is farkled to my tastes, maintained meticulously, and has excellent cargo capacity.

Thanks,

Jim

I've ridden plenty of Improved (graded) gravel on the FJR, no problem. Unmaintained, with ruts, big rocks, deep, loose material would have me concerned.

Sounds like there's no chance for a rip up and down the Devil's Highway in eastern AZ - Springerville to Morenci? Superb with the southern end downright technical. It's work to throw a big S-T around in those turns. An old timer once told me, "Those turns are so sharp you'll be seeing your own tail light."

We plan to ride mostly paved roads, but there will be sections which are dirt (Moki dugway, Valley of the Gods, Moab). Has anyone ridden this area on an FJR?
If FJRs can make it to Grosvenor Arch and back...and be the only ones in a rally that didn't bin it...I'm pretty sure can make it through Moki Dugway. They're down in the same general area of Utah with Grosvenor probably being tougher washboard hell. Theres also a reason that 5 of the 6 top finishers in the 2013 IBR and winner of the 2011 IBR were on FJRs. "FJR" is Klingon for "Today is a Good Day to Dual Sport".

However, if it's rained recently....pause seriously on any bike.

MW233064b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
SW-FOG next May !!!

Never been on "Bad" roads in that area, but I have done the Haul Rd. in Alaska & Nevada trails ("Bad Ass") on the way to Gerlach.

PM Beemerdons, HRZ or any of the regulars in that location- they can give you some better words of advice. I say "Go for it!"

You won't have the confidence of a dual sport, but your '05 will survive.

Iggy nailed it ! I remember that pic (Or one like it) … and I have already reached my quota of likes.
weirdsmiley.gif

Check with Don Carver. Roads like that are his daily commute and that's just his 3 mile driveway.
smile.png

No disrespect, but you should check to make sure the RIDER can handle it, too. Should be plenty of Forest Service roads and double-ruts near Annandale.

On my last Rally I covered about 50 miles off pavement.

About 40 miles of that was decently maintained gravel road (although it was dark), and the FJR handled it just fine.

However, 12 miles was on the Hancock Pass in Colorado. I took the FJR up to the Alpine Tunnel, just over 11 000 feet. This road is not graded, and is covered with loose boulders of various sizes. It is rated as suitable for four-wheelers and dirt bikes.

An FJR with it's puny ground clearance, and PR3s is not the best vehicle to tackle that road on, and I wouldn't recommend it should you be as stupid as me and think it doable.

I was lucky. We made it up and down with nothing worse than a few new creases in the seat .... but any graded dirt road should pose few problems, if it is dry.

Didn't do Valley of the Gods, but my 2005 FJR w/ ABS descended Moki Dugway easily last June. MEM was behind me on her AZ based FZ6 and Bob brought up the rear on a pretty much stock 2003 Honda Blackbird (all w/ packed luggage). Take a few minutes detour to see Goosenecks State Park while you're so close.

My BFF and I have ridden those roads on FJR's many a time. No problem. And I ain't no great shakes as a rider.

Not a problem. When I was taking a Tenere off the roads I found a huge difference if I brought the tire pressure down to 20lbs. Sand or dirt is much easier once you drop the pressure. I was on a couple miles of dirt last month with the FJR and just kept the tires up. Worked fine too but the road had little to no challenge. Any rough roads or unknown, tires go down.

The Tenere had ABS and I did NOT like it at all. Just me, and I know many do, but that really screwed with me feeling the pump etc. My pref was to keep it off.

Give AuburnFJR, Panman or BeemerReamer a shout. They traveled some of the very same roads you're looking at on FJRs

Two-Up

Pulling Trailers...

So yep, it can be done.

--G

Yes, the FJR can do it. One word of advice if you do it, when you get to a stretch of washboard, either get up on the pegs before you hit the washboard or stay in the seat and ride it out. Don't try to fight your way up on the pegs while you are bouncing over the bumps.
waaa.gif

A couple shots from FJRob and Canadian fjr's bikes ready for dirt action..

Yes they can.

1486747_10154540438160451_1375702395668517164_n_zpsb979b857.jpg

10620821_10154541651050451_6571278207418725231_n_zps75d81ef2.jpg

I wish I could have been there to see Scotts face when he seen his dirk covered bike..
haha.gif

Yes, the FJR can do it. One word of advice if you do it, when you get to a stretch of washboard, either get up on the pegs before you hit the washboard or stay in the seat and ride it out. Don't try to fight your way up on the pegs while you are bouncing over the bumps.
waaa.gif
Adding ...

On washboard, sometimes going a little faster helps.

Watch out though for longitudinal ruts. They cause the bike to hop sideways in an unpredictable manner and can be very unsettling.

Guys, thanks for all the replies!

I'm now convinced the bike is capable (especially with knobby tires). The rider, however...

I appreciate the dirt riding tips. I might take the Cornerspin dirt course in the spring before we go.

Jim

Do watch the skies though. You don't want to be in any of those areas if showers are threatening.... This was posted on a road i went up in Capitol Reef Park last weekend...

SAM_0469_zpse009eed8.jpg