Is Michelin still making the PR2?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaJudge

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting a clear answer on this. I'd like to try the PR2/T30-GT combo, but don't want to order something and have it show up with a production date code from 2011 or even older.

I just ordered a PR2 rear, to go with a Pilot Power front. The build date on the PR2 was 2nd week of 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are real concerned you should be able to ask the seller what the production date code is. I wouldn't care so much if it was a 2011 date code as long as there is no dry rot. They don't seem to hang around too long once they get on my bike anyways... ;)

I'm having a hard time getting a clear answer on this. I'd like to try the PR2/T30-GT combo, but don't want to order something and have it show up with a production date code from 2011 or even older.
This thread has examples of supposedly recent production dates.

Look at the handwriting on the wall. PR4 is in production....the PR3 is in production. What are the odds PR2 are long for the world? Not much IMO.

This thread has examples of supposedly recent production dates.

Look at the handwriting on the wall. PR4 is in production....the PR3 is in production. What are the odds PR2 are long for the world? Not much IMO.
I'd say if they're going to drop one...it should be that POS PR3, that the PR4 is a direct replacement for.

As long as you are only using the rears, it doesn't matter. They are all about the same (except for the cost) and they all stink up front to a certain extent. Any PR on the back matched with a T30 or Pilot Power (sport bike tire) up front would be a winning combo.

I will be using the PR4 rear in the future with a pilot power or other front. The PR4 front is noisier than the 3. Love the grip, though.

Yes, front tires have greater variation, but there is a world of difference in wear between rear PR2s and 3s. Thus, some of us still prefer the rear PR2s.

I got 6,500 from a PR 2 rear to the cords, just short of 5,000 with a PR 3 rear that wore to the cords on the shoulder(!), and got 6,500 and could have gotten 7,000-7,500 with a PR 4 rear. I'd stick with the PR 4 (but really liked the Pirelli Angel GTs - best handling and over the full life of the tire, whereas it starts to go away at 3,500-4,000 with the PRs). IMHO.

I ordered a PR2 rear and a T30-GT front this afternoon from Jake Wilson (they price matched American Motorcycle Tire's lower price on the T30-GT). Cost for the combo = $239.19

I'm planning to swap out the OEMs before our upcoming TX hill country trip on 10/30.

Thanks for all of the helpful info and advice. especially from WheatonFJR.

The tires arrived today. The Pilot Road 2 code shows a January 2014 production.
smile.png

Also, Michelin responded to an inquiry I made to them last week. The rep left a voicemail on my machine confirming that they are still making some sizes of the PR2.