Utah's Capitol Reef to Zion's Park

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
Monday Holiday this week and decent weather meant time for maybe the last overnight trip of the year. Worked Friday, took off late afternoon and hauled down to Salt Lake City. Up on the road from SLC headed out for a 500 mile day of spectacular scenery.

Heading southeast toward Torrey

SAM_0444_zps81fa7715.jpg

SAM_0446_zpse571751e.jpg

SAM_0449_zpsc521a2dc.jpg

SAM_0451_zps252fe331.jpg

Capitol Reef Area:

SAM_0454_zpsbace2659.jpg

SAM_0462_zps89e5b234.jpg

SAM_0464_zpsb4b34f73.jpg

SAM_0472_zpsb99e93f8.jpg

SAM_0471_zpsc8043375.jpg

SAM_0474_zps0db063a5.jpg

After riding around Capitol Reef, I headed out on Highway 12 from Torrey. The fall colors and aspens were amazing....

SAM_0481_zps920f3bfd.jpg

SAM_0485_zps32abc80c.jpg

This was right around the area where the V-Strom rider was killed by a tree dropped across the road by some boy scouts. I checked my photos, the accident was about an hour and a half before I went through (there's a whole thread on this...). Makes me sad now to look back and these pictures knowing someone out on a ride just like I was was lost on such a beautiful day, for no reason....

SAM_0490_zps8e4f8205.jpg

SAM_0492_zps2bb77b3a.jpg

SAM_0495_zps8bdfd5d8.jpg

More HIghway 12...

SAM_0501_zpsab51a54c.jpg

SAM_0499_zpse16af0ea.jpg

Then I headed down to Kanab, UT, site of SWFOG next year.

SAM_0504_zps3cf29708.jpg

The next day from Kanab, I went through Zions NP and headed south to Las Vegas....

SAM_0518_zpsb02e8c23.jpg

SAM_0515_zps03dc4965.jpg

SAM_0524_zps3e62b3e8.jpg

SAM_0526_zpsde2b8ab4.jpg

SAM_0528_zpsb73a50fc.jpg

SAM_0535_zps897f6807.jpg

From Vegas, burned up the I-15 home the next day.....

Great photos Spud. Thanks for sharing. I rode Rt12 from Bryce to Torrey and loved it. Then continued to Moab. Awesome place to ride!! Hope I get out there again. I'm a little jealous of you folks that have this in your 'backyard'. Well OK, a days ride away in your case. Thanks again.

Man, I can't wait to move out West. The wife and I are planning on moving to Idaho in about 5 years, less if I can swing it. Can't wait!

Gorgeous ride. Having done much of that going the other direction this last June, I thought I'd checked it off the bucket list. However, your photos are pretty clear evidence that I need to ride 12 in late September or early October one of these years to see it in fall colors.

Great pics! Highway 12 from Escalante to Torrey is one of my favorite roads of all that I've ridden. I just went through there the last week of September, and the colors were spectacular. I always try to hit that area in the fall. Spring is good too, just not as colorful.

There's a gathering of BMW forum riders that meet in Torrey every spring and fall. I've been to a few of the gatherings on my R1100RT. It's a great hub to ride a lot of really nice roads in the area. I'm surprised I've never heard of any FJR meets there.

I left this out--it was in the SWFOG thread where I posted some more photos.... from that:

Just up the road from Kanab, they have the two things all good FJR riders cannot resist: Ho's and pies. AND, THE HO'S MAKE THE PIES!!!! If Neihart ever finds this place, he will never leave...

SAM_0510_zpse671d88c.jpg

SAM_0511_zps740b62c5.jpg

Thanks Spud@! Awesome scenery and love those red-rock tunnels! I've been to Zion and south into Vegas but it was by car (convertible) but still was only a car. Great images, SWFOG is going to be awesome!

Very nice Spud.

Pictures just don't do Capitol Reef justice, it's an awesome place. I was through Kanab on my way back from EOM in early October. Never have seen southern Utah, Nevada and Arizona so green. Really shows the big summer monsoon season they had this year.

Late September is the best time for highway 12 and the colors!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I love Cap Reef NP - one of my favorites. The photos with fall colors are great and provide inspiration for a trip there in the fall someday. Someday is not far off for I will retire in two years. Thanks for posting.

Awesome. I love Cap Reef NP - one of my favorites. The photos with fall colors are great and provide inspiration for a trip there in the fall someday. Someday is not far off for I will retire in two years. Thanks for posting.
+1, Gunny; great Ride Report and thank you Spud, with your kind permission I have moved the link to this thread over to the SW-FOG 2015 Main Page. JSNS!

Latest posts