Recent rider's review on the FJR1300A

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unleaded

Reaction score
Greetings!

FNG here - came from a string of BMWs, and most recently a VFR1200. Signed the papers for a leftover 1300A a few days ago, and pick it up next week. Really, really excited about this bike. With two kids in college, finances dictate this will be a looooong-termer. I mulled over this one more than any bike I've ever purchased, and came to the conclusion that for my needs, there just isn't a better package for the money available. The leftover pricing was just gravy....

I'll post the obligatory pics when the day arrives, for sure. If anyone has a few minutes to kill, I actually wrote a review of my initial ride on the '14 FJR back in June. You can find it here: https://www.motorcycletravelers.com/ Just scroll down to the second review.

What a great forum - I've lurked here for a long time, but this will be the first FJR I've owned (though I've ridden several). Look forward to being able to participate with a real, live Feejer in the garage!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to your reviews....very professional and comprehensive. I don't need to test ride a FJR but after reading your 1000 V-Strom review I am curious how it compares to a Tenere.

Thanks for the kind words. I actually test rode a number of other bikes, including the '14 Super Tenere. My REAL job prevailed and I haven't taken the time to post those reviews yet. I will say that I greatly preferred the SuperTen over the VStrom. But that's just a subjective thing. The Strom was a surprisingly good bike, made similar power, and had essentially the same rider's triangle. Besides a better seat, the Yamaha just felt more planted and solid, and though the windscreen was much better than it looks on the new V, it was better (for me, at 6'2") on the Tenere. I was actually a fan of the older Strom, though I never owned one. This one has the appearance of a much more dirt-worthy machine, but it really isn't (outside of the TKC 80's on the example I rode). The off road tires contributed to the less-than-perfectly-stable feeling, of course, but overall, I would personally probably spend the extra money on the Yam. Any specific differences you'd like to hear contrasting the two, I'd be glad to take a search back through my notes and give my thoughts.

Have an acquaintance that recently flew back to the Midwest and picked up a leftover 2012 VFR for a reasonable price, he really likes it and the fueling glitches were attended to and they enlarged the fuel tank a smidge, bags were on order so he had to backpack and rear seat luggage it all the way home to the PNW. Going for a larger windscreen but other than that all he could talk about was motor, motor, and more motor, and trying to stay away from insane speeds.

Wow - I very much appreciate the feedback. Art Miller - I am not. In fact, I only have the blog because I've done this for some time as a hobby; ridden bikes and then jotted down my thoughts. But then when I'd get busy, I'd lose the notes, forget the specifics about the bike, and it would be for nothing. My wife suggested I write up the articles in blog form, then publish them when I have time. That's why I don't link to my blog....it's always so far behind I wouldn't have followers anyway.
fool.gif
But I've had the opportunity to ride many and varied bikes over the last few years. Guzzi Griso, '13 HD Road Glide, and the Ninja 1000 were all bikes that really surprised with the fun factor in their own way. I have no compulsion to own any of them, but memorable rides just the same.

This forum is a large reason for my decision to switch to the FJR. I've read so many great things about the dependability and the great aftermarket for these things.....And I'm going in with my eyes open. If I had the funds, I could list 20 bikes off the top of my head I'd love to have. But I'm a one-bike guy, and for my style of riding, I just can't ask for much more. The test ride was a bit shocking, actually. I've ridden several FJRs, and loved them all. But it's been awhile, and I had forgotten what a great package it is. The refinements in 13 make it even better. I kept asking myself, "why the hell do you not own one of these??". So, for once, I finally listened.
smile.png

I agree. I just read and enjoyed all three of your reviews. Very well done. They are also of particular interest to me as they happen to be variants of the three bikes that occupy my half of our own garage, albeit each slightly different than what you sampled. Mine are a 1st Gen 2004 DL1000 VStrom, a 5th Gen 1998 VFR800, and a new 2014 FJR ES.

I do not agree with everything that you've said in those reviews, but by and large I think you are on target more than most of the reviews I've read in the bike rags. Plus your presentation and style are very enjoyable.

Would you consider cross posting them, or at least the 2014 FJR review, here on the forum? That would promote dialog about them, and make responding to them here a lot easier, and also give us a permanent copy here on the forum for posterity.

If you agree, but need help with the formatting and photos (the forum software is not the easiest to use) just let me know by PM and I'd be glad to help with the re-posting.

Excellent and well-written piece. The only factual correction I would point out is that the side cases will indeed fit many large size full face helmets (no problem with my Arai).

I also started off thinking that I wouldn't have much use for the "T" mode except maybe around town in traffic. Then I discovered what a gem it is for rolling on that little bit of extra juice when cornering. It makes for a smooth experience compared to the throttle surge present on my '07 (reduced but not eliminated by PCIII re-mapping).

Cheers and welcome.

The only factual correction I would point out is that the side cases will indeed fit many large size full face helmets (no problem with my Arai).
Thanks for that info - I appreciate the correction. In full disclosure, I made a half-hearted attempt to put my XL Shoei RF1200 in the case, and couldn't make it work. Guess I shouldn't have made the generalization! And I hope maybe I can twist mine into the case once I have it in my garage to try a little harder...

Also, I wasn't aware, at the time I did that review, that the cruise speed limitation had been raised on the '14 model, so I made no mention of it.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the link to your reviews....very professional and comprehensive. I don't need to test ride a FJR but after reading your 1000 V-Strom review I am curious how it compares to a Tenere.
I usually don't quote myself but as luck would have it I visited one of the local dealers today and when sitting on a 1000 V-Strom the owner asked me if I wanted to ride it since it was a demo. About 10 minutes later I was on the road and my only instructions were to "have fun". It was certainly an improvement over my 2004 DL1000, I immediately noticed that it actually had brakes that worked and that the engine was much smoother and wanted to rev....at least to 6-7K, redline was 9K but there didn't seem to any reason to push it that high....and it only had 250 miles on the engine. The extremely high geared overdrive was gone, the gearing difference between 4th and 5th and 5th and 6th seemed to be about 10 percent, almost a close ratio compared to the model that I had previously owned. the engine was turning 4K at 70mph (indicated) in 6th gear and had very good roll on acceleration in 6th.. One thing that hadn't changed was the suspension quality which was the weak spot in a otherwise very refined package. After 30 miles I went back to the dealer to get a screwdriver to adjust the suspension and spend the next hour dialing it in with mixed results. While I felt the adjustments were significant improvements, the end result was far from ideal. My first change would be to replace the shock and the second would be to revalve the forks.

How does it compare to the Tenere? I liked the V-Strom's engine, riding position, and sporty character but even with better suspension I don't think that would be enough to cancel out the Tenere's shaft drive, centerstand, and other features (and I haven't ridden one of the new Teneres).

The only factual correction I would point out is that the side cases will indeed fit many large size full face helmets (no problem with my Arai).
Thanks for that info - I appreciate the correction. In full disclosure, I made a half-hearted attempt to put my XL Shoei RF1200 in the case, and couldn't make it work. Guess I shouldn't have made the generalization! And I hope maybe I can twist mine into the case once I have it in my garage to try a little harder...

Also, I wasn't aware, at the time I did that review, that the cruise speed limitation had been raised on the '14 model, so I made no mention of it.

Thanks again![/quote. just to let you know, I am a proud owner of a '13 FJR and my XL melon cover (helmet) fits fine in the side caseswithout any prodding, I don't think there is any actual size difference between a shoei and my hoc.

Glad to hear it, 1maxman. I have a Givi on my VFR which will transfer over, but even so, great to know the cases will fit a helmet. Could it have been the Sena SMH10 unit on mine causing the issue?

dumb ass from Nuevo messico here/ all I know is the FJR is one fine bike and that the 2002 Vstrom 1000 I upgraded the front forks on kicks ass.

I would advise anyone thinking of buying a high $$$ adventure/touring bike to get a low cost Vstrom & see IF THEY REALLY REALLY like that

kind of bike. Then throw down the big $$$ for whatever if that shit trips your trigger.

Fred W, thank you for re-posting that here. As usual, you are wonderfully useful.

Unleaded, I don't 100% agree with a couple points but overall, Excellent Stuff. I really enjoyed reading that, much better stuff than what I am used to in 95% of the magazine reviews. I enjoyed your delivery and style as much as the content.

Usually, there is only one way to get the helmet with the comm system to fit in the bag. The helmet faces forward in the right bag and the comm system has an alcove in the back (inside) wall of the pannier. This has worked for me, but I don't have an XL size helmet so I cannot say with certainty that it will work. I know an XL helmet will fit without a comm system.

Thank you Fred W and Unleaded for bringing this to us. An excellent way to finish my morning coffee.

I've been in contact with the OP and he is not opposed to have his review posted here on the forum, so here is a cross posting of the review on his blog:

2014 Yamaha FJR1300

There are a few motorcycles which will be ascribed, for varying reasons, exalted status in the annals of time. Triumph’s original Bonneville, the Honda CB 750 four and Ducati’s 996 are three that spring to mind as having secured their places in the book. And despite the eye-rolling and muttered comments of angry disbelief that may follow, I submit the first-generation Yamaha FJR 1300 belongs in similar company.

Not for aesthetic reasons. The FJR still looks relevant after only minor cosmetic changes over 13 years, but there wasn’t ever anything earth-shattering about the design from the beginning. Instead, the FJR is a classic because it set the original baseline for sport tourers. The simple genius of the package as a whole is borne out by the fact that it still competes well today, essentially unchanged from the original. Note: I didn’t say Yamaha invented sport-touring. BMW’s K100, the original Kawasaki Concours, and the Honda ST1100 are archetypal ST mounts, with avid followers still today. But when the FJR arrived on the scene, it single-handedly changed what we expected from bikes in the genre: Stupid fast, good protection from the elements, quiet, comfortable, decent fuel range, and reliable as a granite dinner plate.

All of those descriptors still apply to the newest version. The competition, though, has increased the size of the pond. And muddied it, too. Adventure bikes threaten to – some say have – become the new sport-tourer, with bikes like the Ducati Multistrada blurring the lines even further by being entirely street-focused.

That isn’t to say the FJR has been left behind, or remains completely unchanged. With the exception of 2006, when a broad slate of changes were carried out, revisions have been mostly limited to the occasional minor cosmetic update, and a tweak here and there to increase heat dissipation and decrease vibration. 2013 marked only the second, and arguably most significant, list of significant changes to the FJR since it’s inception. Far from a clean-slate rework of the bike, the 2013 iteration was really a large-scale refinement of the platform.

The electronics package now includes rider-selectable throttle control, traction control, electronic cruise control, and a new LCD dash with a clear and intuitive rider interface. Aluminum cylinder bores, new piston rings, and a revamped ignition system conspire to increase output by 3 hp, to a claimed 144 at the crank. The fairings have been bent and twisted a bit to further assist wind management and dispel engine heat. The windshield is taller and wider. The 6.6 gallon tank and very respectable fuel economy in the high 30’s to low-40’s should give the bike a range close to the 250 mile mark. I rode the 2014 model, which aside from a coat of Candy Red paint and optional electronic suspension with upside-down forks (not included on the bike I tested), the FJR is unchanged from last year.

Astride the big Yamaha at a standstill, I’m reminded of one thing that has always stood out to me about these bikes: the FJR’s fit and finish plays second chair to no other motorcycle. There aren’t any creaks from body panels, sloppy fasteners or poorly hidden wires. Compact and solid, it’s as if the bike was carved from a solid piece of metal.

Starting the bike produces the subdued whisper and thrum familiar to pilots of all versions of the FJR. As the new dash comes to life, it’s apparent that Yamaha’s engineers have put real thought into the instrumentation. It is at once both information-rich and clean. Tidy and concise, yet totally legible, even in bright sunlight.

Normally loathe to make sweeping judgments, I’ll admit the new FJR dash might be my favorite in all of motorcycling.

Clutch effort is beautifully light, and a satisfying snick into first gear generates the most noise the gearbox ever made during my ride – which is to say, virtually none. It’s precise and quiet, just as you’d expect. The FJR is known for it’s linear power curve, and it’s even flatter still for the new bike. Big torque is available from any RPM, making it feel for all the world like you’re aboard an electric-powered locomotive. It isn’t blindingly fast, but then a test ride on the ZX-14, and many miles aboard BMW’s K1300S and the Honda VFR1200 have skewed my perception a bit. It’s plenty quick, and no sane rider will ever find it lacking in power.

Low-speed steering is just slightly on the stiff side, but for a bike this size, it’s very stable and predictable. The electrically-controlled windshield is reshaped with a vent at the base, reducing the vacuum effect in the cockpit.

I found the air at the lowest setting to be clean, with no buffeting. In the highest position, things got much noisier, but I still didn’t experience any turbulence.

The suspension felt very planted in the turns, but if I were getting ready to buy, I’d want to try the ES version before making the final decision. This is a big, heavy bike, and mid corner bumps let you feel the weight a bit, producing a slight springy wallow in the chassis. For covering distance, the FJR is extremely comfortable. Expansion joints and rough pavement are all subdued by the suspension and mass, producing a supremely smooth ride. Taller riders may wish for a bit more legroom, but the ergonomics were just about perfect for my (nearly) 6’2” frame.

Toggling between the touring (T) and sport (S) settings on the throttle control menu gives the impression of two very different bikes. Touring mode clips throttle response considerably, resulting in almost sluggish acceleration. The throttle on the FJR at full power is already very manageable and easy to modulate, so it’s unlikely most riders will often choose ’T’, unless they find themselves in very slick or unpredictable conditions.

The brakes are excellent, and the ABS was totally transparent, though feel was somewhat wooden on hard stops. That can probably be attributed to the bike being brand spanking new. Once the pads bed in a bit, I would expect feel to improve.

Luggage is the same size and shape of former years. Decently-sized, but too small for full-face helmets. The bags detach and reattach in seconds, but the red finish is so smooth and reflective I’d most likely not risk the inevitable scratches and dings, and leave them on the bike at the hotel, choosing instead to pack everything in liner bags. The luggage is mounted low, so no worries of hitting boots on the bags during mounts and dismounts: a common complaint on the Kawasaki Concours 14.

The seat itself felt great for about 10 miles. After that, I could already feel myself sinking through the padding. For a larger rider, it’s doubtful that one of my favorite stopgap fixes – the Airhawk pad – would be sufficient. I’d be saddle shopping right after I signed the purchase contract.

A lot has changed in 13 years. From a comfort, technology, power and handling standpoint, there is now a dizzying number of choices. The Concours 14 is probably the FJR’s most direct competition. But though it’s of similar intent, it’s also of a completely different feel. BMW’s R1200RT provides better wind protection, a bit more legroom, and quicker turn-in. The K1600GT is more powerful, more comfortable to some, and bristles with more technology than the student dorms at MIT. But it costs 6-8 grand more. Bikes like the Multistrada, the BMW GS, and Yamaha’s own Super Tenere are all much more spacious and have bolt-upright seating, while providing nearly the same – and in the case of the Multistrada, even more – performance.

But if smoothness is at all a virtue you prize, if a decade-and-a-third track record dotted with virtually no major engine issues sets your mind at ease, the FJR is worth a long, hard look. Let’s face it. We can talk about the latest technology and read stat sheets until the numbers blur, but choosing a bike, at the end of the day, is about how it makes you feel. And at 16 grand or so for a bike with enough technology, speed, comfort and handling to get licenses revoked and break the bank in fuel and tire expenses, one needs to ask: How much do we really need?

I live a long way from any real curves, so long-distance riding is almost a necessity for me. I’m a fan of adventure bikes. Heck I’m a fan of just about anything on two wheels. But everything is a compromise. If dirt roads aren’t something that calls you off the pavement, I’ve found that a little better wind protection and a quiet, smooth engine offset the gains in legroom from the taller ADV rigs for the highway droning that punctuates my riding. For that, the FJR is hard to fault. And at 16 grand, with a dealer network sprawling to just about every corner of the world, the Yamaha FJR can still stand proud, even against an international coalition of some pretty salty bikes.

The 2014 FJR1300 was provided for this review courtesy of Thompson’s Motorsports in Terre Haute, IN. I have no affiliation with the dealer, nor do they pay for advertising or suggest reviews. They’re just an exceptionally helpful local dealer with a sales manager who lives and breathes motorcycles. My thanks…

www.thompsonsmotorsports.com