My $4 switchbox mod for my '14 ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
What a quandary I was in! I wanted to mount two switches and a voltage meter on my '14ES and unlike my '08 which had the cutout for the factory grip heaters which made a convenient place to mount the switches, the '14 had no such space.

So after some head-scratching I came upon a 1"x 2"x 3" project box at my local Radio Shack. It cost less than $4 and had two bottom panels, one was plastic and one was a recessed metal panel that fit perfectly on top of my brake reservoir. Drilled a couple holes, one for the momentary switch for my hardwired garage door opener and the other for the led on/off switch for my driving lights. One more hole in the back for the wires and as a bonus since I had power and ground running to the box for the driving light switch it made a great place to connect the voltage meter as well.

The whole deal is attached to the top of the brake reservoir with heavy duty Velcro so I can just pull it off to change fluid and the voltage meter fit perfectly to the front of the reservoir with that double sided 3M tape used for auto emblems and whatnot.

The best part is I didn't have to drill any pricey panels on the bike and it all can be undone easily in the future if need be. The Velcro and 3M tape as been road tested on my '08 for other things through rain, snow and heat so I am confident in its holding power and endurance.

Here's the final result:

IMG_1795_zps00429f5a.jpg

IMG_1797_zpsbe973187.jpg

Cool..... looks nice....

Thanks for the idea on the voltmeter and placement...

I have one of those keychain garage door openers in my glove box, but you did a good job with that I'd have to say...

Cool..... looks nice....
Thanks for the idea on the voltmeter and placement...

I have one of those keychain garage door openers in my glove box, but you did a good job with that I'd have to say...
Thanks and you know, one of those keychain garage door openers would work just fine (and I also have a couple) but in the spirit of over-complicating things I modified one of my garage door openers to run off the bike's 12V system and have now moved it and re-installed it on my last three bikes. So now it's become a challenge to see where I can mount the switch and re-use it.
rolleyes.gif