$40 LED Fog lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHound

Reaction score
I have LED fogs on both my FJR the wife's Honda NC700X purely for conspicuity during the daylight hours. I put them on a year ago but before I posted up a link and showed how I mounted them wanted to make sure they lasted and were decent quality. I can justify (in my mind) some pretty spendy things for my bikes but $200-$600 for auxiliary LED lights are not one of them. So I came across these on EBay and figured for less than $40 they would be worth the risk. I have to say I have been pretty pleased with the quality. Metal casings and what appears to be decent mounting points and wiring and they have gone through plenty of miles, rain and temperature changes in the last year and held up well.

I fashioned some brackets out of a bar of 1/2" x 2" aluminum (donated by a buddy of mine) and painted them black. I don't have a full machine shop and did it all with a drill press, a band saw with a metal cutting blade, a grinding wheel and some filing. The brackets are basically an upside down "F" and I drilled a recess for the longer bolt mounted to the fender hole and used a 1" round spacer with a flat washer against the fender. These worked both on my '08 and my '14 FJR but on the '08 I recommend an additional plastic washer between the metal flat washer and the fender. The'14 already has a rubber grommet there.

Link to fog lights Note: I see now they are out of stock but they usually get more pretty quickly. Also just to clarify I'm not selling these nor do I have any affiliation with the seller. Just posting how they worked for me and how I mounted them if one is so inclined to do it themselves.

Here's the pics...

IMG_1799_zps8d9a98e4.jpg

IMG_1800_zpse707f86a.jpg

IMG_1803_zps8418662e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad the lights work for you. It's pretty low to see this on the seller's site when they are in fact Chinese. Not that the seller actually intended any deception.

%24_45.JPG

I like your bracket Idea.....

Nice Job.....

I think I may try that mounting place for Justins LR4's....

Like the brackets 'hound! A few of the PNW crew have extra fork mounted lights...definitely more noticeable when on the road.

--G

Nice job,

Not to be a debbie downer but I wonder why you need the F bracket. Wouldn't it be possilble to use the existing stainless bracket with a round bushing standoff to achieve the same thing.

Just a thought,

Dave

These little lights sure are priced nice.

Curious though, why the need for the upside down F bracket? The lights come with a swivel bracket already that looks like you could just use a round spacer and longer stainless bolt to attach to the same point.

Here's the photo of the lights with the bracket they come with

%24_57.JPG

Haha... Dave beat me to the punch.

Nice job,
Not to be a debbie downer but I wonder why you need the F bracket. Wouldn't it be possilble to use the existing stainless bracket with a round bushing standoff to achieve the same thing.

Just a thought,

Dave
Dave and Fred...well the reason I made the "F" bracket is because I didn't think of doing it your way which I am sure will work. The lights I had before (Martin Fabrication Lights) used a similar mount and I guess I just got "target fixation" and didn't see the forest for the trees. I really need to start following the K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid principle. Doh! Glad I got the aluminum bar for free and in all honesty it was kinda fun fabricating them but you're both right...could've been done much simpler.

Only by a minute,

The fact they held up after a year is very good. Can't go wrong for the price.

So does that mean they are $30.00 LED lights. "Courtesy of Eatpasta for the link"

May need to change the thread title,

and hey - I help out my FJR brothers where I can.....
punk.gif
I usually cant contribute much here but hey, here you go!

How did you wire these in? Did you use some kind of harness.... or just wire them in with a switch?

Made my own wiring. To a switch and also to a relay triggered by the low beam headlight circuit. In PA, fogs have to turn off with high beams. Main power from the switched power side of my Fuzeblock installed under the seat.

The trick is to not call them fog lights. Call them "marker lights" (which is what you are using them for) and then they don't have to be synchronized to the headlights. ;)

The trick is to not call them fog lights. Call them "marker lights" (which is what you are using them for) and then they don't have to be synchronized to the headlights.
wink.png
Did you miss the part where I already admitted to over-complicating things?
unsure.png

I just ordered a pair. Does anyone know how to hook up these lights up? Are they going to the headlight housing, low beam or high beam. Any pointer to similar application is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That Fuzeblock would be overkill for just these little single LED lights. The Fuzeblocks are quite nice, so if you have a bunch of other stuff to wire up, then by all means go for it. But it will set you back about $70 last time I checked.

The power draw of these lights is pretty minimal at 10W each. Total current at 14V will only be about 1.5 amps for the pair. You could just run that through a simple on/off switch (no power relay) as long as you don't need/want to sync it to the headlight low beams. Of course you would want to fuse it at the power source (battery or wherever you opt to tap in to get the 12V power).

Thanks. I dig up a bit on FJRTech.net and found article 'Installing a 12V Power Strip' that shows how to put together extra power source for addon electrical goodies. It doesn't cost much but probably extra work and time to put parts together and install to the bike. A fun little project for me.

Thanks for the heads up SilverHound.

I just ordered a pair.
ok.gif

I was looking for day-light runners, this should do nicely.