Some specifics about Russell Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unleaded

Reaction score
Picking up my new FJR next week,and aside from the TechSpec tank protectors I put on every bike, my first purchase will be a Russell seat. I LOVE the look of Seth Laam's work, but I had a RDL on another bike, and I think I'll stay with what I know. Appearances are sometimes overrated. If that weren't true, my wife wouldn't have married me.

- I'm curious what real-life experiences have been with leather vs vinyl (my previous saddle was vinyl), as far as comfort, care, durability, etc.?

- Also, is there a substantial difference in the feel of the seat with the rectangular quilting vs the half moon, or is it simply a matter of fewer stitches for waterproofing, as Russell's website seems to indicate?

- Last, I like heated seats, but not Russell's design. Has anyone had experience wiring in a rheostat and leaving off the factory switches?

Thanks so much for any advice.

I have had Daylong seats on 2 bikes. Both were the half moon design and vinyl. No complaints.

I'm on my third RDL all with rectangles and vinyl. The one on the FJR has a little better than a 100k on it and is still fine.

I am on my 4th Russell saddle on my past 4 bikes. I prefer leather with this pattern. I had the small diamond pattern on a prior bike with vinyl - in hot weather my ass sweat.

It was similar to wearing motorcycle pants with waterproofing material built into the pants that do not breath well. It was humid at times. Monkey butt even.

The leather will wear out quicker but I am willing to accept this - my ass is worth it and but the leather will last many years before wearing out.

I would consider a Lamm today as you can move around on the seat in the twisties. The wings on the Russell saddle impede moving around on the bike. Lamm was just mostly unknown when got a Russell for my FJR.

Thanks much, Fontanaman. My questions about Laam were regarding the foam-only base. Similar to a mattress, foam without a spring base is subject to impression due to eventual degradation of the foam. Am I just overthinking it? Laam was new to me until I began lurking here, but I haven't been able to dig up any longer-term reports about the seats..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you weight more than 240, the Russell is really the only choice in my opinion as they alone use a spring suspension.

I had an RDL on my '08 and just moved it over to my '14. It's vinyl but I don't know what the pattern is (see below). Anyhow sat on it for 11 days straight across the US and the 7 days coming back through heat, rain and yes...even snow. No complaints and it's held up great without any scars, fading or wear marks.

DSC00040.jpg

RDL on the past 2 bikes. The first was vinyl on a Wing. This one is leather on the FJR. Both are/were the patten of large rectangles as above. The leather has worn well with an annual treatment of Lexol. Consider that there are serviceable (horse) saddles in museums worldwide which are leather. All were exposed to the elements but all were cared for. Some are a hundred years old (or more). I was surprised that the leather felt better even while wearing riding gear. No need for bead riders, etc.

I have had two Russell seats. The first one I bought new and was a Half-Moon, Vinyl with back rest. I have nothing but good things to say about it, other than the price, which hurt a bit . That said, even after 2000 miles in two days, the only thing that hurt was the price :)

I now have an inherited Russell on the FJR. It is covered in vinyl and velour, and is due for a new cover which it will get this winter. It is just as comfortable as the other one, but the velour was a mistake. Looks decent and is good in hot weather, but it absorbs water like a sponge and I'll have it recovered in all vinyl. Again I'll go for the half-moon pattern as the stitching is kept to a minimum. This not only keeps most of the water out, but also maintains the full strength of the material better than the other patterns. Russell also offer a waterproof cover which seems like a decent investment.

As for leather ... I know guys like their leather seats, and why not ... but Russell don't recommend leather even though they will supply it. So that comes down to a personal choice.

I have 3 RDL seats. The 1st one (Gen 1) had the quilt pattern in leather and I bought it on the forum used. The previous owner was near my H' & W' , but I do not know how many miles were on the seat.

I have added 200k+ on that seat and it still looks and feels great! I use a bead rider in hotter weather. I use leather cleaner and conditioner after every long ride, making sure the leather on the folds under

the seat and staple areas are cared for too.

The other 2 seats are for my Gen 2 and are both half moon-tri patterns. Both were purchased used and I am trying to decide which one I like better. Notice I said "Liked Better"- You cannot go wrong

with a RDL. The half moon shape seems perhaps more comfortable initially but after the miles they are equally comfortable. Plus the bead rider gives breathability to either in hot weather. Leather vs. vinyl…

I have not put enough miles on the Gen 2 seat to compare the wear. However the leather may outlast me on the Gen 1 bike.

I have a leather RDL. I also have the heated seat and love it. I actually have to shut it off after a while cause it gets to hot and that's through dress pants and double layer riding pants also. 3 layers of clothing.

Dave

Vinyl RDL. Am 14,500 miles and 55 days into my current ride around the US and Canada. Have been through multi days of cold, pouring rain, offset by days of hot and humid. LOVE this seat. Have had zero thoughts about a sore butt since I drove out of my driveway.

Any of you guys on RDL seats have feedback from passengers? I want to my my wife more comfortable.

Any of you guys on RDL seats have feedback from passengers? I want to my my wife more comfortable.
Wife and I both cannot ride but about 300 miles on stock seats without pain. I talked her into a SS1k (West Palm/Houston) and she had no complaints

(ABOUT the SEAT.)
rolleyes.gif
She has done 5 or so 500+ days and been happy with the seat.

She loves the RDL!

You must make sure the rear seat is built and not just covered IF you buy used.

Last edited by a moderator:
We did 4242 miles on the NAFO/EOM combo trip this year. First long trip with the RDL neither Spanky or I had any soreness from riding.