FJR AE (and A) Voltage Drops

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have mostly completed installation of the a 10 gauge wire harness from Roadstercycle.com, but I just discovered I have an additional problem. After the installation, the voltage across the battery is 14.0 volts, which is excellent (it has increased from 13.1 V)!!

But I have found significant voltage drops between the battery and the fuse block. To track this down, I have been pulling fuses and checking the voltages between the positive side of the fuse and the negative pole of the battery.

If I number the fuses from the front of the bike to the rear, on the left side fuse block looks like this (NM means "not measured."

No, Name, Amps, Hotside Voltage
1. MCU, 30A, 14.0 V
2. Terminal, 3A,, 13.3 V
3. Ignition, 10A, NM
4. ABS, 10A, NM
5. Signal, 15A, NM
6. Head Lt, 25A, 13.3 V

The MCU hot side measures a full 14.0 Volts, but the hot side of the "Terminal" fuse in position 2 measures only 13.3 V. I can't check fuses 3-5 because they are required to run the bike. The positive side of the "Head Light" fuse (position 6) also measures 13.3 V. So the only fuse position that has full voltage is position 1.

1) Is there any reason for the voltage difference between position 1 and position 2 other than corrosion? (For example there may be a resistor in the circuit. Also, it is possible that this fuse block is not a power distribution block, so the positive wires to the hot side of the different fuses may come from different places.

2) How do I remove the fuse block to check it? I already know how to remove the C & D panels, the battery, and the battery box. But I can't see how to unbolt the fuse blocks. Also, do the fuse blocks have connectors underneath which can be unplugged so I can remove the fuse blocks from the bike to inspect them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, bounce. I'll be careful about double postings in the future. As some have mentioned, I am now typing my longer postings in another editor. I lost about half an hour of work on another posting when the system did not take the "Post" command.

Last edited by a moderator: