Cold Weather Riding on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
I have recently added a new farkle to my '13 along with my previously installed air wings. I have had the opportunity recently to ride in some fairly chilly weather to check out my new farkles and the adjustable side panels on the Gen III. So far the coldest temps I have ridden in is 37 degrees...even with my wings and the footguards it was still a pretty cold ride but survivable. I had a 20 miles commute into work. I think I could have handled another 10 miles for so before I needed a break (I was running around 75mph, so the wind chill is right around zero or just a touch under depending on the windchill chart you use.) I think a set of factory hand guards on the mirrors might solve the last of my concerns.

I have installed the factory Yamaha footguards on my '13. They are a stylish addition. Here are a few pics up close so you can see in more detail than the brochure how they look and fit. The installation is pretty easy. Five rubber nuts go into the existing mounting bosses on the backside of the side panels. A small slit needs to be made in the foam. Here is a clear side view of the OEM footguards.

PA193829_zpsf0d85d77.jpg

PA193830_zpse74e70ff.jpg

In this picture you can see the area covered by the footguards and the extension you get with the movable panels set in the outermost position . It only gains you about half an inch of width on each side of the lower but on mine it makes a big difference. With your feet tucked in on the pegs you can feel warm air circulating around your ankles and feet. A welcome addition in the mid thirties. On my '13 the movable side panels seem to make a noticeable difference that is greatly affected my the position of my air wings. With the air wings closed and the panels OUT the airflow moves from its normal spot of collapsing on the outer half of my knee to a smooth air flow just along the outside of my thigh. Getting that turbulence off the knees does make it warmer.

PA193833_zps0bf710a4.jpg

Here is my bike head on with the air wings in the closed position. With the air wings closed and the shield up it also creates a low pressure pocket in the cockpit that draws the warm up from around the foot well into the cockpit.

PA193837_zps6eba6a37.jpg

The footguards up close and personal...I have a feeling that they might get removed in the summer months...we shall see next year.

PA193839_zpsb09c27c7.jpg

And yes, they do extend the lower portion of the side panel back just a little. But I have not had a problem of banging into them. I don't really notice the extra 1+ inch that they extend back.

PA193840_zpsf2670fde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, any motorcycling in the 30s is nippy. Coming down south to SC on the 13 from Chicago in the 30s and drizzle was not what I was hoping for. The heated grips are hot when you turn them to 11. They rocked!

Those foot guards would have been very helpful.

I screwed myself on this one....

Upgraded from my '03 to a new(er) '13, and gave up my built-in heated motorcycle. I NEVER GOT COLD on the '03!

Now, I rode last weekend @ 32+ degrees (early morning) and felt the cold air coming thru the fairing. (Heated grips rock!)

I am running the OEM touring shield...works most of the time...I have a VStream coming...going to give that a try. The only real problem area I have left currently are my hands even with the heated grips and my shoulders. The VStream may take care of some of that...I think the mirror mounted hand guards may be in my future too. Then I can strip it all off in the spring for warm weather riding.
fool.gif

Those look great! Looks like they'd preclude Canyon Cages, but the Yamaha sliders look like they would do the job as well as any....

As wheaton indicates, things get cold quickly once you get into the 30's. Nicely done mods to the '13 - I can see how they would improve protection once temps dip.

I and a few of the PNW crew are using VStrom & smaller MX style handshields along with hippo hands or some variant thereof. That combo allows using thinner gloves with heated grips and comfortably ride into the 20's. We've seen 26F on a winter ride on North Cascades highway...

--G

More protective shield (I have a Cee Bailey 2x4 flip for my colder weather needs) and heated gear make the greatest difference to me. Heated gloves combined with heated grips are the nuts (I use Mobile Warming battery powered gloves). Heated jacket (rather than vest) that has heating elements in the sleeves as well (some don't) is the best of all. For me anyway, my legs and feet are not an issue even down to freezing. I also found a balaclava very helpful when it hits the 30's to make sure no cold air at all finds a way in around my neck and face.

It was 30 degrees this morning when I left the house. Gerbings jacket liner and gloves solved the topside and the built in heater on the 03 took care of the rest.

"The installation is pretty easy." - True, once you have the side fairing panels off.

Some details of installation in some pictures around here.

One downside is that access to the oil sight window is more difficult, as is access to the oil filter, shown in this post.

I've yet to try mine in really cold weather, we're in an unseasonably warm period at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I tried out the Yamaha touring windscreen. I reverted to stock, I was too hot behind it.

Thanks for posting. We still have warmer temps here in the Seattle area, but they will drop this winter. :cold:

The bigger windshields really help with shoulder/arm warmth - I use a Vstream in the winter and it works great on my Gen II due to it's much wider width (especially at the top). I suspect the Gen III Vstream will have some differences.

I also added the Vstrom handguards (I can't remember if anyone has tried the Vstrom guards on a Gen III yet?)to the heated grips and also wear heated gloves when it gets really cold. And a heated liner gets regular use also. Like another previous poster, I've never had an issue with leg/foot warmth even on a 3 hour ride in 25 degrees but we all have different cold tolerances.

I was riding last winter and thought I had set a new low temp record:

2013coldride.jpg

only to find out later that 16 degrees is the lowest temp that can be displayed! It was supposed to be even colder that night and so I'm pretty sure I got gypped out of an even lower temp record! LOL :)

BTW, anyone know if the temp display issue was solved with the Gen III?

The "temp display issue" is what it is meant to be per the Owner's manual. You need to bring your own thermometer on board if you want to know a temp lower than 16F.

I will be seriously pissed if I am riding in 15 degree weather in SC.

Especially in this age of global warming

I am running the OEM touring shield...works most of the time...I have a VStream coming...going to give that a try. The only real problem area I have left currently are my hands even with the heated grips and my shoulders. The VStream may take care of some of that...I think the mirror mounted hand guards may be in my future too. Then I can strip it all off in the spring for warm weather riding.
fool.gif
Consider Vstrom handgaurds. I was able to fit them on my 14ES with no problems, after I installed some bar risers so I'd clear the two boobs of the dash panels

More protective shield (I have a Cee Bailey 2x4 flip for my colder weather needs) and heated gear make the greatest difference to me. Heated gloves combined with heated grips are the nuts (I use Mobile Warming battery powered gloves). Heated jacket (rather than vest) that has heating elements in the sleeves as well (some don't) is the best of all. For me anyway, my legs and feet are not an issue even down to freezing. I also found a balaclava very helpful when it hits the 30's to make sure no cold air at all finds a way in around my neck and face.
+1 - Once you have a heated full jacket liner and heated gloves, nothing can stop you except actual snow deeper than about 1/2" or any amount of ice.

Some of my most memorable rides have been days when the snow was piled high on the sides of the road and none was melting. No bugs is a big bonus. All the encouragement from the folks in the heated cages is nice too. But I've also been accused of mild retardation. I'm OK with that.

Good riding ahead lads. Good riding ahead.