Lights/bulbs questions 2004 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbasky

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm still learning the ins and outs of my first FJR, an '04 with 58,000 kms that I bought this spring, then thoroughly enjoyed on two 5000km road trips.

Couple of lighting/replacement bulb related questions that I cannot sort out from my owners manual or from talking the parts desk at my local Yamaha dealership:

1) Headlight: in normal/low position, should both lights be on or only one? Both lights are on when I switch it to high beam setting. Do I need to replace a bulb or is this normal?

2) Front position/turn signal: when bike is on, and headlights set to normal/low setting, only one of the two orange lights on front fairing is lit. However, front signal lights work for both directions. What's up with that? Is there more than one bulb on each side?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Greg Basky

Saskatoon, SK CANADA

Yes and Yes. Headlight bulbs have two filaments and if low doesn't come on then it likely is burned out. Best to replace in pairs as other may be right behind that one.

Same for position/turn signal. Position filament burns out more often. Signal still works.

Both headlights and side marker bulbs are replaceable without removing plastic--although right side headlight is much tougher without removing right side inner plastic panels.

If you have small hands you can change both headlights with out removing any plastics. It's tight but doable. The turn/marker lights need to have the inside black panel removed If they are all there I think it might be a couple or so of pop pins and maybe three Phillips screws.

Oh and welcome to the forum..... Nice to see another Canadian around here.

If you have small hands you can change both headlights with out removing any plastics. It's tight but doable. The turn/marker lights need to have the inside black panel removed If they are all there I think it might be a couple or so of pop pins and maybe three Phillips screws.

Oh and welcome to the forum..... Nice to see another Canadian around here.
"Another"?????

Shit, you can't swing a dead cat around here without knockin' some hoser upside the noggin!