Caution - whining ahead (Merged dupe threads)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no rain

Reaction score
I need to rant at least once about the "modest" size of the FJR side cases. Note that I was previously spoiled with my 36L Caribou side cases on my V-Strom. The interior space of the FJR side cases is tiny by comparison. I often stow my jacket in one and overpants in the other, with waterproof liners inserted. I can barely get them to fit, and I will bet that I am wearing out the hinges in the effort. Once I start wearing my heated liner, that will surely have to stow in the top bag. Anyone know of any larger aftermarket cases that will fit the same mounts?

You are right to whine about the sidecases, even though the whine has been repeated throughout the years.

Yamaha got the bike so right, yet in a touring bike they failed miserably in the side case department. They are beautifully built, and way too small.

You can get Givi sidecases and a wingrack to fit the FJR, but it's an expensive "fix" for something they should have improved over the years.

I have a set of Hepco and Becker 45 liter panniers (90 liters total) on my Gen3, swapped across from my two Gen 2's.

One of the few manufactures that make aftermarket brackets for the Gen2's.

I keep the OEM panniers nice and safe under a bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a SPORT Tourer. It is by definition a compromise.

As MEM stated in the other thread that you started, add a top box. They work surprisingly well and detach easily to maintain that "sport" look and feel.

It's interesting to note that the much bigger BMW K1600 has side cases that are almost the same size and shape as the FJR. In fact the FJR bag liners perfectly fit in the BMW side cases. Small as the side cases are, I know 2 people that just spent 2 weeks traveling over 2.5k miles carrying clothes and riding gear to accommodate 30º to 100º as well as rain. We did cheat and put a small Givi top case on the BMW. My pillion did leave her hair dryer at home and I didn't bring my tool box ;)

Feej butt is big enough.....

not that there is anything wrong with a big butt

i_like_big_butts_42.jpg

I spent 5 years on a submarine. Packing tips:

1. Frequency of need for this item?

2. Consequences of NOT having this item?

3. Squish it down and rearrange items to fit them together tightly -- in other words, eliminate empty spaces and don't pack air.

4. VERY IMPORTANT: Don't over-pack and 'sproing' your hinges, because your packing volume gets reduced to zero.

I feel ya NoRain, I came from a DL1K with the ginormous Happy Trails on it. One of those held more than both FJR cases, but they were also huge, cubical wind blockers. Pretty sure no one makes anything that would mount to the stock FJR bag mounts, but you might be able to adapt some Givi mounts and bags that would not look too bad.

I would suggest you invest in a set of bag liners (Bestem makes a very good product). I wasn't convinced until I did so, but the liners allow you to stuff a LOT more into the saddle bags than without them.

I really don't care for the hinges on the side bags for the FJR. The entire saddlebag setup on the ST1300 is better in all ways, except for aesthetics.

On a related note, I find that the more I tour on a motorcycle, the less I take with me. For example, I pack WAY less clothes now. It's much easier to throw a load in the wash while I drink a brew one day. Other things that formally made the ride stay home too now. I do try to even the weight of each saddle bag before the initial pack. For comparison, on my first tour with the FJR, I believe each saddle bag weighed about 28 pounds (loaded). For the last ride, each was well under 22 pounds. Of course the Yamaha Sherpa will gladly haul the extra 12 pounds (and MUCH more), but I find keeping track of less stuff is a more enjoyable vacation for me.

Last time I checked with GIVI (been a few years), the only side mounts they had available for the Gen IIs were for the V35 bags. I've been watching for a set of used tubular side mounts that I will modify to go on my '07 to accept the set of E41s that I use on my GSX1100G. I had to make my own mounts to install GIVIs on my GSX1100G and my Madura.

I have gotten accustomed to the size of the side cases and learned to pack according to the storage available. I do have a Givi top case. When I need to lock up my gear I usually put my helmet in one side case, my pants in the other, and my jacket in the top case.

I do like the look of the stock side cases, and I think the outside dimensions are about as big as possible without spoiling the lines of the machine, but there is a lot of wasted space in the double wall design of the cases. My V47 Givi top case is just as durable and waterproof as the Yamaha cases, but is a single wall design and wastes very little space, so I know it can be done.

It's interesting to note that the much bigger BMW K1600 has side cases that are almost the same size and shape as the FJR. In fact the FJR bag liners perfectly fit in the BMW side cases. Small as the side cases are, I know 2 people that just spent 2 weeks traveling over 2.5k miles carrying clothes and riding gear to accommodate 30º to 100º as well as rain. We did cheat and put a small Givi top case on the BMW. My pillion did leave her hair dryer at home and I didn't bring my tool box
wink.png
We did 7500 miles on the NAFO3 trip to Catslegar and 4242 miles this year for NAFO4 and EOM 2-up with just one additional bag tied to the rack on top of the GIVI trunk.

Anyone know of any larger aftermarket cases that will fit the same mounts?
I don't, but it's probably easier to switch to riding gear that you wear all the time (e.g. Aerostich) and not supplementary waterproof gear. Gear choice and optimizing packing has made it so I can live 3 weeks on the FJR with a bit of room to spare..including a set of size 14 shoes. If I have to leave my gear on the bike I lock it with a cable run through legs, sleeves, and helmet.