Go-Pro Meets Grizzly Fate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some damn big bears. But they were well fed on Salmon and just being curious and inquisitive. When we humans get into trouble with them is when they are hungry, because they are extremely strong and have a unique ability to focus on getting exactly what they need right away.

This past summer I was riding up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, on a mission to find a particular spot for use as a photo tag inb one of the Tag-o-ramas on ADV Riders forum. My goal was to find a good spot where the Appalacian Trail crosses a major roadway up in the higher ground. I had researched prior to leaving and found the spot in Hart's Location (near Crawford Notch AMC Hut) where "The Trail" crosses route 302. There is a short (semi-)paved road that goes about 1/4 mile up into the woods to the trailhead, and I wanted to get a photo of that trailhead for the tag game.

On the way up the access road I spied a car parked on the side of the road (with Pennsylvania plates) that had been horribly vandalized. The entire rear window had been smashed and the metal window frame of the door was ripped off, and there were empty cardboard boxes and foil bags scattered around on the ground.

When I saw the mess I was repulsed and immediately came to the conclusion that some shithead kids had broken into the car and raided it, knowing that the hikers had left the car as a stash on their through hike. It was only after I talked to my son (who now lives in VT) that he gave me the right diagnosis... that car had been mauled by a bear. We don't have big bears like in that video, just little black bears around here. But they still are impressively strong and dangerous if you get between them and food (or even garbage)

I'm telling you, the carnage on that little car was quite impressive. I would not have wanted to be nearby when that blackie was going at it. Just the smell of some freeze dried food was enough to get him to rip the door frame out which would have taken one of us a come-along to bend.

So, now you know why nobody wants to play against the Big Bad Bruins when they are hungry for a win!
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator: