Bypass Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bustanut joker

Reaction score
12 years ago I had a quad bypass and was good till a week ago when a rear downspout blocked off again. Spent a couple days laid out an' got to wondering.
I hate fuking October, my first stent came the 14th in 98, second 2 the 15th in '99. and then the latest last week.. the 15th.

My Cardiologist told me I've done better than average for a kid my age with that 12 years and I got to wondering how long you guys who have been there have gone without issue.

I know a couple guys who've only made 5 or 6 years, both are younger. 3 others aged 55 plus when they had it done have all made it 20 plus years.

Is it because they are more aware? or do they just take better care of themselves? Or is it because we've learned to just drink more and stress less?

Thoughts?

Barry

Haven't had any of those issues (yet) but, I've learned from many of my doctor friends that Stress, IS the root of all evil. Stress free is the way to go. Oh! And the drinkin' thing helps. :)

Hope the new plumbing helps Bust! Stress is a bastard...the root of many problems. October is the cruelest month...in more ways than one.

You just have to make yourself a priority...I didn't require any new plumbing back in February...but 220 over 115 got my attention. I figured I was a little too young to check out just yet, so I went with door number 2 that the doctor offered up and went with the "change your life" option. Door number 1 was easier...do nothing and have a stroke or heart attack within 5 years...but I didn't like the end game. I still have my days, but they are far and few between now...mostly with lots of Forrest Gump time in between, Run! Forrest! Run!

Take care of yourself! I do not want to lose another one of the original PITA's who make this little corner of the interweb what it is...

My mom's stents are 18 years old.

She does everything we're "not supposed to" do: eats saturated fat, loves her sweet treats, enjoys pizza and beer when she goes out to eat, doesn't believe in exercise (which is prolly why she still has her OEM joints), she's not overweight, and she's been smoking since she was 14.

I was going to say "it's genetics, man" but she's defyng that, too, since her sibs started snuffing out from heart attacks at age 45

Dog wiling, she'll be 92 in April and she'll rock it like she does 91 :D

YRMV, Barry. Good luck with it (hey! Maybe that's it - luck. And low stress ;) )

I had a pair of stents installed in 2000, and I'm still doing fine. I figured it was poor diet and lack of exercise that stopped the plumbing up to start with, so I've been doing better. I don't want to say that I'm living right, but compared to how I lived before, I'm a virtual saint
wink.png
I figured the stents were corrective, but if I didn't change I'd just stop up again.

I take my atorvastatin calcium (generic Lipitor) regularly and exercise 30 minutes 5 days a week. Cholesterol levels are always good, and I'm still apparently getting blood where it needs to be. I had a stress test this year and passed with flying colors. In 2000 I had a stress test, which the cardiologist stopped at about five minutes, and I was in the hospital the next morning.

My exercise is a stationary bike. I have a TV in an exercise room, and it's against the rules to watch it unless I'm pumping that damned bike. I normally do 2 to 3 hours a week on it. Interestingly, I've found that I ride the motorcycles better when I'm on the bike regularly. If I don't do the bike regularly, I find it difficult to get the weight off my butt and onto my feet in bumpy corners on either motorcycle. But if I've been biking like I should, I have more strength in my quadriceps, which makes it easier to shift my weight from my butt to my feet. That's all the incentive I need. If it helps me ride better, I'm all for it,

A guy's gotta have his priorities in order.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a quad bypass just 9 year ago at age 64. So far everything is working okay. I am diabetic so my diet is pretty heart healthy. My total cholesterol is around a hundred and I try to walk two miles a day unless I am playing golf. I have a fused ankle so can only walk 9 holes on the golf course.

I first had chest pains at 38 but managed to get by on medications, diet and exercise until age 64.

My father started having chest pains about 5 years after his quad bypass at age 63 and had a redo after about 10 years, So you have beaten him. My father wasn't very active and died at age 80 of cancer.

Bust my advise is to get regular exercise,watch the diet, take the meds listen to your doctor.

Hey Barry;

Me.....Heart attack at 53 during a freaking stress test. That lite the nurses right up. Mine was November. Yes, I suspect the onset of colder weather screws with us.

One stent and lots a meds. Funny I never had high cholesterol before the heart attack. So now I try to get on an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.

Lately I've been slacking and eating shit and whadda ya know my chest is tight.

Yea, stress kicks my ass too some days, but living better is the key. Eat healthier, exercise more, drink less, ride more, kiss the missus, never kick the dog.

Genetics aside, my father is still kicking at 85. Diabeties, probably 5 stents, lost a big toe somewhere along the way, but he's still active.

Seriously, taking care of yourself is the key. Baz

Give up smoking , drinking and stress. It will be the worst half hour of your life.:) :) :) :)

Wine,especially the red wine is the best medicine for the heart and all the circulatory system!
smile.png

Seriously now,the wine and better the red wine has the ability to clean the arteries and all the system inside there!

Also the dark chocolate has the same ability!
smile.png

And yes,the drink helps a looot!
smile.png

Frek Busta, you look after yourself! I owe you a beer and you gotta stick around, I don't want the reputation of being a welsher.

Best regards

Surly

Good health to you, sir! If cold is the cause, come October, get your ass to a beach in FLA...or make that on a FJR in FLA.

Give up smoking , drinking and stress. It will be the worst half hour of your life.:) :) :) :)
So if I've read your prescription correctly, Dr. Ray, then Barry may continue having regular sheep sex?
Barry my heart surgery and stents were done 10/8/05 and I've been just fine with my daily regular diet of only Mexican/Italian food, my medically required doses of Guinness and Bushmill's whiskey, plus my rigorous exercise regimen of sitting for hours on a motorcycle seat and watching every sports event on television!

But, you must give up the smoking you DumbFucker and stop stressing over what those Canuckistani visitors of yours are going to do to you next! JSNS, eh!

Bustanut joker, the really great news is this: I was able to continue with regular burro sex with absolutely no problems whatsoever! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ole!

Tobacco is evil. I never smoked but chewed for over 30 years. Smoking is tough on heart, lungs and vascular system. If you smoke BN, then you need to stop. Chewing attacks the mouth and throat. I had throat cancer a few years back.

Humans. We can be idiots.

Joe makes a good point about doing what makes you happy. I believe that happiness is the most important thing affecting quality of life, stress, and overall health. However, make sure that smoking is actually something that makes you happy and not just a habit that you satisfy without enjoying because it does take a big toll on your body.