FJR wheel research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucksklrst

Reaction score
I am in the middle of researching whether the Silver wheels of a Gen II ABS will swap out with the Black wheels of a 2014 Gen III FJR ABS A model. I don't like black wheels. If anybody can shed some light on this I would surly appreciated it. If they are compatible I would be interested in Trading in the near future. I did this with my 2003 ST1300. Personal preference, I don't like black wheels.

Get them painted? Or strip them and polish them up?

Not all Gen 2's were created equal. Some even came with black wheels!
wow.gif

'06's and '07's were different from later years, and the same as earlier Gen 1 ABS.

Not sure if the late 2nd gen years' wheels are exchangeable for the 3rd gens, but I suspect they may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've posted this about a million times already so what's one more.....

08-15 wheels are all compatible with each other. 04-07 abs wheels are compatible with each other.

08-15 wheels are all compatible with each other. 04-07 abs wheels are compatible with each other.

Great, Thanks as a newbe to the FJR that is good news. Thankyou. Now too find some on who wants to swap wheels in my local Denver/ Front Range area. Any Body???

I've always said that you could look into the future. That is a very handy ability to have

How does Shared Belief look next week in the Breeders Cup?

You can just PM me the inside info so the odds don't shift too much!

Thanks!

bye.gif

Or the million seventh time I've linked to FJR Comparison Matrix.

Now too find some on who wants to swap wheels in my local Denver/ Front Range area. Any Body???
That's what the Classified - Wanted section of this forum is for. You may find it helpful to reread the pinned section we strongly suggested you review when you signed up a whole 2 days ago.
wink.png

Or the million seventh time I've linked to FJR Comparison Matrix.

Now too find some on who wants to swap wheels in my local Denver/ Front Range area. Any Body???
That's what the Classified - Wanted section of this forum is for. You may find it helpful to reread the pinned section we strongly suggested you review when you signed up a whole 2 days ago.
wink.png
Yes I know, I have read it, Just haven't got to the classifieds to post yet.
smile.png

Chuckskirst,

Remove the tires and strip the black paint. Others have done it. You will save yourself a lot of dicking around trying to find a trade and you never know if the traded wheels are in good condition. Mark the tires where the valve stems are so you do not have to rebalance the wheels when done.

With a lot of elbow grease I stripped and polished the edges, very pleased with the change. They are machine finished underneath the black paint.

The way I understand, the wheels on the 2014 model are powder coated. Will that strip off easily? Pictures of your wheels and a description of the stripping process would be a big help

The way I understand, the wheels on the 2014 model are powder coated. Will that strip off easily? Pictures of your wheels and a description of the stripping process would be a big help
Not powder coated based on my experience. It took several hours per wheel so it's not for the faint of heart but worth it in my estimation. Did this during a tire change while the tires were off. Masked the center section and used the toughest paint stripper I could find and a very course Scotchbrite pad and course steel wool. Scrubbed and scrubbed, once it was removed I used Blue Magic to polish the aluminum. Since the surface is machined it comes up with a nice luster, Don't know how to post pics, sorry. If you want to pm me your email I can send some pics that way.

Hey Chuck, got your email and replied. Forgot to mention I used KleenStrip KS-3 Premium. As a side note I mistakenly got a little on the edges of the rotors and it took off the black paint on them too and I liked it so much I took off that paint too.

Okay, attempting to post a pic. This is after stripping and polishing:

I like the black wheels. They hide dirty better. But I must admit those look sharp. Hmmmm..... need to get Smitty to chrome his again to see how they look.

I agree with SkooterG. (Poetry!) The shiny chrome rims with black spokes look really good, pcarnut.

I like these polished rims, too. Personalizes your ride. It always amazes me how much attention people pay to the cosmetics and how much work and $ they will invest in them.