Saddle Bag Hickey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2014 model without bags and noticed an identical looking scratch just below the mounting area for the saddle bags. The scratches are just into the clear coat on the painted area and it looks like it could be something put there by the bag or bracket. I do not remember if it was front or rear mounting.

My question is if this is just the way it is or if someone was just being careless with the bags?

Note: I thought I came across discussion of this, but cannot find it.

The closest thing I found to a discussion on this was here, where it was mentioned that the dealer did not install the protective stickers:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143388
Covered as well in the New Owners Read This section.

P.S. It's been 4 1/2 years since you signed up on this forum and still haven't gotten an FJR. Any idea how many more until you might use this checklist personally? The 2015 with an unchanged price from last year is unprecedented and a great deal! TIA
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised not to find any of my posts from 2010, but I'll tell you why I joined back then, and what brought me back now.

About 15 years ago I had a decent enough scare on the highway to keep me off bikes until 2008, my peg got caught up in a lifted Suburban's wheel as he was squeezing me between another car. I didn't fall, he didn't stop. I've not liked Suburbans much since.

In 08 I thought I wanted to ride again, and back then the Harley craze still had some juice. I picked an economical bike in that context (my Shadow), and I sincerely did a lot of research about bikes - everyone was happy to tell me what was so great about Shadows and I agree with every word of it. It was the unspoken stuff that got me, and that stuff was kind of hard to find, but it was all about the rider and not the bike. The FJR was the only other bike I had any lust for, but there was just no affording it and I thought I'd be happy enough going the other way. The second season on that ride was not doing it for me so I started looking on CL and came across a few used FJRs, hence the membership. I guess I asked no questions because reality weighed heavy, I could not even afford a used one, and my pragmatic ways led me along the most frugal path - stay the course, that is.

About 6 months ago, some health issues that have been plaguing me for years finally started coming to a head, and a couple months ago I found myself waking up in the hospital recovery room, after having some stuff removed. My entire outlook on things were tossed into the air, but the good news was that I'd have some time to myself to sort that all out.

I'm still trying to sort out a lot of stuff, but here I may get a chance to solve this one issue, and it could be any day.

Thanks for the link to the longer owners list.

These pictures show the protective strips (that are supplied with the bags) fitted. This should be done by the supplying dealer, together with fitting the bag locks and Loctiting the lock's screws.

(Click on image for larger view)

You can look through the instruction booklet (also supplied with the bags) here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, thanks. I went back to the dealer and I guess they heard my comment about the smudges because the bags were now on and so were the plastic adhesive strips. Now that I can see how the bags fit, it seems a result of careless handling that could have been prevented. I wasn't sure if the bag mounting actually touched there normally; otherwise, it might have been a point to quibble about. I had enough of the hemming and hawing about it, so it's done now.

Well like many others here - the bags generally only come off when cleaning - it is still a fantastic looking bike without the bags, but I use them every single time I take it out, so I overlook any thing that has touched that area personally....

My 05 is 10 years old now, and its got plenty of what I like to call "Memories" on it..... every times something happens to create a scar, scratch, dent or something such as that - I remember it..... I really love to take great care of my cars / bikes / trucks really anything I own, but guess what - shit happens and ya can't let that ruin your life....... Its easy to take care of something and treat it with respect, its a whole other thing to have some freaky obsession over what is basically a TOOL.... Its there to serve you - and hopefully serve you well, but don't let stuff like that run your life or you will be miserable.

I would imagine that with your description of things that have recently happened in your life - you have come to look at live a lot differently.....

There are many in this world that will never get it - we are only here for so long, enjoy your life and don't sweat the little shit....

Good Luck to you sir....