New FJR, a couple of questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
My old FJR ('06 Gen II with a bit under 80k miles) lost 4th gear while on a trip, so I traded it on the fly for a 2014 ES model and completed my trip. With the new bike I received some clear plastic pieces that look like they're supposed to self-stick somewhere. Anyone know what they are for?

Since I was putting miles on the new bike quickly (2,000 miles the first week), it escaped my attention that one of the front reflectors on the fork lowers fell off and was lost. The other was found to be loose. I'm now considering whether to spend the $12 to buy a replacement reflector and put both back on or just leave both of them off since there's a side marker light on the Gen II bike anyway. Question: How many of you just take them off and toss them? How many retain them for the life of the bike like I did on my Gen II? I might be able to find a replacement for less at a hardware store; the Stanley P/N is cast into the back.

I need a better, bigger rack for the rear of my bike for travel. Old bike had a Gerauld rack. Along the way of owning it, my previous dealer gave me a top case mounting kit. It should fit my new bike. I will not be mounting a top case, but using the flat plastic platform from the kit would suffice well and might even look better in my opinion as it would match the flat black of the wheels. I'm aware of the loading limit, but it'd hold everything I carry there (tent and sleeping bag). I'd have to add some bungee hooks, but otherwise, it'd save me the cost of a red painted (or should I get the standard black) Gerauld rack.

Right now my bike is 1200 miles away where my trip ended waiting for my return, so I can't step outside to look at it to answer any questions or evaluate answers. Thanks for any replies.

Without a better description, the clear plastic pieces are probably the ones that fit around the saddlebag mounting areas to protect the paint from scuffing.

Reflectors...up to you. Personally I want all the visibility available. Back end of a GEN III fits same racks, etc. as your previous bike. I'd stick with what you know and have it painted or powder coated in your choice of color!

Congrats on the new 'ES, heck of a way to get a new bike!

--G

They may be protective stickers for the side case mounting locations. My '04 included six of these clear adhesive stickers, three on each side.

The small sticker was placed just below the front mounting hole with the ends pointing up on each end of the hole. The medium sized sticker below the rear mounting hole. The large sticker should be installed above the lower, center mounting point where the latching device comes up from the side case.

They protect the painted surfaces when you're wiggling the cases about during installation and removal.

You might ask the dealer to send you a new reflector. They had to install the front wheel during assembly.

I assume that means they had to install the brake calipers and the reflectors too.

The reflector fell off because they didn't install it properly. I'd check the caliper mounting bolts too. Are your calipers rattling?

It sounds like the person who prepared your bike did an incomplete job. So, you should check all of the bolts for tightness. Especially make sure the side case lock screws are tight and have loctite on them. These are T10 torx security screws and they will come loose if they don't have loctite on them.

You should also have some color matched plastic pieces that cover the saddle bag mounting holes when you are riding without the bags, and a third saddle bag lock that matches your keys for you to use in case you buy the Yamaha p box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, one of the first things I did was throw those reflectors in the garbage....

Congrats on the new machine, hope you are enjoying it..... Sorry to hear of the troubles you had with your old bike, frankly that is the first time I have heard of an issue with a trans problem like that...

Thanks all for the replies. I will indeed check the caliper bolts and hard bag screws. Please refresh my mind where the bag screws are... IIRC, they are the ones that hold the locks onto the case?

Yeah, I guess the tech hurried and made a mistake, but in his defense, on the phone at noon I said I'd be at their shop "tomorrow" but actually arrived at 5pm that day and was out the door with my new bike at 7pm. LOL, that was after dark, in the rain, on new tires and a brand-new unfamiliar bike... rode 50 miles to stay in the very same motel room I'd vacated that morning. All told, the event added 400 miles onto my trip.

I think you are all correct in guessing from my incomplete description that the plastic pieces are to protect around the hard bags. I'll take them with me when I return to the bike in a couple of weeks. Yes, the lock for the tail case was delivered as were the pieces to cover the side case holes. I have to ask the selling shop if they want the blue plastic pieces from my old bike and the owner manual.

I felt I got a pretty good deal despite my plight. I'm not going to divulge numbers, but they gave me a reasonable amount for the old bike and a sizeable discount on the new. In any case, it is by far the best deal I've ever gotten on a new motorcycle. And it is the best new motorcycle I've ever gotten as well.

I will give one of the two shops a thumbs up for the assistance they gave me: the Yamaha dealer in Elkins, WV was my near-immediate stop when 4th gear first acted up. He did not have the FJR I wanted on his floor but looked on his computer and located one for me, gave me the phone number and let me call on his phone since my cell provider does not cover WV. That was pretty nice of him and I'd like to repay him someday with a bike purchase. He even recalled the day eight years ago when I stopped with the '06 FJR to do my 600 mile oil change using an oil drain pan I borrowed from him! How ironic that he saw my '06 at both ends of it's lifespan with me.

I too was surprised as all hell that the '06 transmission failed. I had just read prior to leaving about several high mile (one with over 200k) FJRs. You could have knocked me off the bike with a feather when ascending a hill the bike juddered and emitted the sound of gear dogs slipping. I knew my trip was in jeopardy, even calling my wife to come with my pickup truck to rescue me. After some thought and consultation with the Elkins Yamaha dealer, I decided to try riding the 200 miles back north, just skipping past 4th gear. The bike would accept light throttle in 4th, but heavy throttle... nope.

It really did make for a couple of memorable days getting financing, insurance documents, etc. The selling shop arranged for a six months same as cash deal and I sent that check earlier this week where according to USPS tracking it has arrived. As said above, I like the new bike and if you are currently a fence sitter, consider me another vote FOR the Gem III. Not that there is anything wrong with the earlier Gens.

The clear plastic pieces are as others have indicated. As for the front reflectors, I removed then both and installed red reflective wheel tape to make the bike more visible from the sides at night. Also, as Geezer said, you better check all wheel-related screws and bolts. Also put blue loctite on your side case lock screws or they will vibrate out.

With the new bike I received some clear plastic pieces that look like they're supposed to self-stick somewhere. Anyone know what they are for?
Dan23, You should reread the New Owners Read This. #16 on the sticky things for example and many other things for newly received motorcycles. I agree it seems the dealer didn't do all the things they should have and probably more you should review.

Very nice story about the dealers you dealt with. I have been in Elkins many times and didn't even know there was a Yamaha dealer there.

With the new bike I received some clear plastic pieces that look like they're supposed to self-stick somewhere. Anyone know what they are for?
Dan23, You should reread the New Owners Read This. #16 on the sticky things for example and many other things for newly received motorcycles. I agree it seems the dealer didn't do all the things they should have and probably more you should review.
Oh, thanks. I read the common historical data thread, but not that one; didn't even notice it, possibly because I don't consider myself a new owner.

Very nice story about the dealers you dealt with. I have been in Elkins many times and didn't even know there was a Yamaha dealer there.
Thanks. Getting out the facts about how helpful some dealers can be is important to me.

... Please refresh my mind where the bag screws are... IIRC, they are the ones that hold the locks onto the case?...
(Click on image for larger view)

Different view (later bike, identical apart from colour), you can see the shape for the screwdriver bit, a security Torx size T10.

DSCF0304_cr.jpg

... Please refresh my mind where the bag screws are... IIRC, they are the ones that hold the locks onto the case?...
(Click on image for larger view)

Different view (later bike, identical apart from colour), you can see the shape for the screwdriver bit, a security Torx size T10.

DSCF0304_cr.jpg

Wow. Awesome for you to post the photo for me, mcatrophy. Thanks.

Latest posts