To YES or not to YES...that is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
I bought the YES warranty on my 2004 FJR. Never used it. Bought it on the 2008 FJR. Never used it. Bought the extended warranty on my Honda Pilot. Have not used it.

If I'm not mistaken, the general rule is to never buy the extended warranty. On anything. And I consider the FJR an extremely reliable item, especially at my mileage. But $399 (D&H) is pretty cheap.

Is everyone still buying YES even though the FJR platform has been very solid?

I guess $399 is pretty cheap for peace of mind and the extra electronics (cruise, not the ES model).

This is about as NEPRT as they get. Prepare for all manner of justification...including msyelf:

You're lucky...I think. I did on both my '05 and my '14. Saddle bag replacement and gas cap on my '05. I probably came out ahead $400-$500 alone.

'14 we've seen a guy with a fuzzed out LCD dash. While that was maybe under the standard 1 year warranty....I think that points to new reasons the YES in particular is worth it.

My evolved rule is: No to extended warranties UNLESS they're from the ACTUAL factory AND cheaper than fix or replacement of one thing that shouldn't break, but does once in a while. Y.E.S. is one of the few exceptions that has proven to be a no-brainer to even the extended warranty jaded person I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed purchasing the YES warranty on my 05, never had an issue with the bike....

Just bought a ES model - I don't think I will take the chance on not having a warranty on my 15 ES suspension, plus with the realization that there has already been a dash screen that has over heated and fried on a pretty new 14 model..... IDK..... I think I'll splurge on the YES this time around....

I do see you have an A model, so your not in the same boat as me......

Mr. deagle,

I recon you answered your own question. To that I'll add a "me too." Had yes on an 06 and did not use it. Bought it for my 14 and hope I don't have to use it. Yamaha's basic warranty is in my opinion a bit flimsy. So even though an FJR is as close to a bullet proof bike, YES made a lot of sense.

I never buy extended warranties and did not buy YES. I have no regrets. I had absolutely nothing go wrong on my FJR that would have been covered. I have had a couple of things go wrong over the years on appliances that might have been covered by the extended warranty, but it was less expensive to fix them myself than to pay for the warranty, and I didn't have to deal with companies trying to tell me the things were not covered.

I'm not sure I agree with NEPRT. YES needs change as the proven reliable FJR program gets older. I was looking for:

1. Peoples reasoning on if they got it or not. (New platform 2004, YES was a must have. 2014? Not so sure).

2. YES stories of people needing and using the extended warranty.

I have not seen many stories of people having to use YES. Though for $399 I'll probably end up getting it and sleep better for an extra 4 years.

Thanks for the responses so far.....

I'm not sure I agree with NEPRT.....
I have not seen many stories of people having to use YES.
You need to read the forum more. This question has been asked many, Many, MANY times and stories have been told many, Many times (but not quite the third level "MANY"). ;)

I did a search, but now see some people call is Y.E.S, where I called it YES.

I'll just buy it. Buying the extended warranty is the best voodoo magic I've found for keeping repair gremlins away.

I did a search, but now see some people call is Y.E.S, where I called it YES.
I'll just buy it. Buying the extended warranty is the best voodoo magic I've found for keeping repair gremlins away.
and $100 a year for an extra 4 years = cheap insurance.

One more (oft repeated) consideration about YES (or Y.E.S., since it seems to apply equally to both )
wink.png

Suppose that you buy the new bike and after a year or two you decide that you need a 2016 FJR (or some other bike) to make your life complete. Having that fully transfer-able warranty makes selling your 1 or 2 or 3 year old bike a whole crap load easier as the buyer doesn't have to trust your accounts and descriptions nearly as much.

I bought my '05 in '06 and it came with the OP's YES (even though I bought it through a third party re-seller, that was still fine with Mamma Yamma). Though I never did have to use that warranty, perhaps because those superior 1st gens were such bulletproof bricks, the peace of mind I got by having those three years of factory warranty on a USED BIKE PURCHASE were priceless.

I say, for the paltry price that they charge, it is the best insurance deal you may ever make. Y.e.s., I'll be buying one for my '14 ES before too much longer. Just need to get off my ass and call Renae (sp?) at D&H.

Any one who's been around the forum 5 years or more may recall "The Legend Of Frankenbike" (or not).

IF I'd had the Y.E.S. on my 04, it would have saved me @$1600 and about 9 months of down time.

'Nuf said.

Don't have Y.E.S. in Australia, however the dealers will try and push a 3rd party warranty for about $1,000.

The only proviso is that you MUST get the bike serviced by that dealer in the extended warranty period.

Pay them a grand so they can ream you, garantee the dealer an income for 3 years.

When you sell an fjr with the yes attached it is a great selling point, and if you choose not to do that I believe you can cash in the remaining yes time. Had it on my 08 and saved 800 bucks on an electrical micro switch gone bad on my windshield motor and draining the battery.

I look at it like insurance, not a warranty. ON AVERAGE, you will get less out of an extended warranty package than you paid for it. In essence, you are betting that the bike will be less reliable than Yamaha thinks it will be. Having said that, I don't know whether I would get a YES package with a new bike or not; it COULD save a lot of heartache if I happened to get a lemon. I think I would do it for a new model and probably if I got the ES - unknown reliability for a complex system and potentially expensive repair.

The FJR has been so darn reliable in terms of major systems reliability. Is the cost worth the peace of mind and if something goes south on you can you fix it or would you rely upon your dealer? (Do you even trust your dealer to diagnose and fix any major issue? I don't have much faith in the local guys) Only you can answer.

Good answers. Thanks. I haven't heard of many repairs like the ones mentioned above. I'll get the Y.E.S. and not worry about it.

My Y.E.S experience.

07 FJR AE- I replaced the throttle body under Y.E.S. Throttle body was over $1800. plus labor. The new owner in Lima OH used it for a few minor problems.
08 FZ1- I never bought Y.E.S. never needed it.
08 FJR AE- I never used Y.E.S. I owned the bike for three years and never had a problem.
12 Tenere- I never used Y.E.S. The bike was destroyed by a deer hit 9 months into the 4 year Y.E.S. warranty and Yamaha refunded the unused portion.
13 FJR I never used Y.E.S. during my 8 months of extended warranty before it was sold.

13 Tenere Came with 2 year warranty and I purchased three additional years of Y.E.S. but I have only owned the bike two weeks.
14 FJR ES Purchased Y.E.S. but I have only owned the bike two months.

Y.E.S. paid off well in the one throttle body replacement and I would be money ahead if I wouldn't switch bikes so often.
headbonk.gif

I will agree with earlier comments that it is a nice selling feature if you are selling the bike outright.

Latest posts