Wind Protection and Riding Posture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I'm about to retire my trusty 2004 BMW RT for a newer BMW RT. But I'm fascinated by the FJR (for reliability, superior warranty, and shop availability). I know it won't be all that the RT's are, but I'm curious as to how much less wind protection there really is. I ride year round, many many days in the upper 20's or 30's, and this is important to me. I also prefer a more upright riding stance. I cannot abide by being bent over like I was on a Ninja. Is this easily corrected with bar backs on an FJR, or are those simply a band aid on a bike that requires a notable forward lean? All in all, I'm trying to figure out whether giving up some refinement in exchange for japanese reliabilty and a nationwide dealer network is doable. Thanks in advance.

The FJR does not require a forward-leaning riding position. While I have no personal experience with the RT, I believe that it is acknowledged that it will probably offer (stock) better weather protection than the FJR. This can be improved by windshield choice. I'm told that the '13+ FJRs are better than the Gen I or Gen II.

Last edited by a moderator:
cycle-ergo.com. Whenever I see an RT on the road I'm always amazed at how comfortable the rider looks. But they also don't seem to look connected to the bike either. Never ridden one, and probably never will.

Like was said before, a good aftermarket windshield will do the trick on a gen2, I believe some have said that's not even necessary on the gen3.

As mentioned above, ' cycle-ergo.com ' will give you a good idea of how you'll sit. Don't forget to plug in your height & weight.

My 'other' bike is a Wingabago, which I rode for a decade before getting an FJR. Comfortable ergos and wind protection compromises were the to things I was concerned about in adding the FJR to the stable.

To say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. My first ride (other than a Yamaha factory team test ride) was the day I did a fly & ride: 420 miles home in mostly 40 degree temps. Yeah, an electric vest would have been nice that day (the '03 FJR I bought has a small OEM screen) but my only disappointment was that the ride had to end!

There are a number of aftermarket screens for the FJR which will extend the protection in even lower temps. But for me... The FJR is my choice for any ride, any day.

But we don't have winter here, so I'll let others chime in.

With a larger windshield you should be able to get some pretty decent wind protection - waiting on my Gen3 to see how it compares to my Gen 1....

IMO - I think you'll need some Highway Pegs on this bike to get your legs more forward, or get used to the more sport angle that your legs are in with the FJR... The BMW looks to me like a chair with wheels and is probably pretty darn comfy for long rides. There are times I wish the FJR was more like that - but after snapping that throttle open........

With Canyon Cages you can get some forward leg relief like the Highway pegs offer.....

file_zps09d08d3b.jpg

Bill. Have you sat on an FJR ?

Go to the dealership and sit on one.

The stock windshield gives very little wind protection but the fairing does a decent job of keeping the wind off your legs.

PM also sent.

re: I know it won't be all that the RT's are

you mean like overpriced uncomfortable underpowered and prone to breakage?
fool.gif

taller shield, footpegs, bar risers, aftermarket seat, fusebox under seat and you're set.

With a larger windshield you should be able to get some pretty decent wind protection - waiting on my Gen3 to see how it compares to my Gen 1....
IMO - I think you'll need some Highway Pegs on this bike to get your legs more forward, or get used to the more sport angle that your legs are in with the FJR... The BMW looks to me like a chair with wheels and is probably pretty darn comfy for long rides. There are times I wish the FJR was more like that - but after snapping that throttle open........

With Canyon Cages you can get some forward leg relief like the Highway pegs offer.....

file_zps09d08d3b.jpg
Which highway pegs are those? They look great.

No, actually more comfortable, amply powered, and with far better rider ergonomics. You were, however, correct on the other two.... Cycle ergo shows a marked difference (forward lean for the FJR) between the two bikes. On an RT, it's the upper body that's more upright, unlike a fighter jet. The knees are bent and the pegs are under the rider, more similarto an FJR. Just trying to get my head around having to totally rework a bike with aftermarket parts to make it comfortable, when I'm accustomed to a bike having great ergonomics straight from the factory. Yamaha's plusses may make it worth that. YES warranty and inherent bike reliability are where Yamaha has the edge. They are both excellent bikes. Thanks for all replaies.

re: I know it won't be all that the RT's are

you mean like overpriced uncomfortable underpowered and prone to breakage?
fool.gif

taller shield, footpegs, bar risers, aftermarket seat, fusebox under seat and you're set.

There are certain models that just "fit" me. There are others that can be made to fit.

My experience with "comfort" and "fit" , upright riding position and wind protection - is our (second) GL1800 (Gold Wing).

On our FJR (our third) we added a larger windscreen, handlebar risers, aftermarket seat - and lowered the bike 1" front and rear. Now it "fits" just fine.

Of course, your mileage can, and will vary.

Regarding lean, some people put risers on. I won a Gen1 riser set at the very first CFO. Put me back a little bit and it seemed more comfortable. However as I have ridden in the twisties more, I decided to take those risers off as I felt too straight up in the twisties. I ride with the stock bars now and have no issues about comfort...don't even think about it.

I use a stock shield down all the way except in cold or rain. Others go with larger shields. You might feel the need to do that, but it is not that expensive comparatively to get a shield and riser to get what you want weather-protection and hip comfort angle-wise.

I'm not sure how you do the risers if you are already leaning forward with your upper body. On a cruiser I can see it though. I just dangle my legs...but then I ain't 6 feet tall either.

There is a slight forward lean (on the FJR) compared to your RT. I kinda like this as it give me a tad more sporty feel vs. the more straight up rides like the BMW RT, GTL, and Honda's GoldWing. Again, it's a personal preference, and I would say an extended test ride may be what kicks you in or out of the FJR owners group. That being said, Yamaha dealers are not as generous with test rides as the BMW dealers are. Make friends with your (possible new) dealer first. Let him feel comfortable with your riding experience and pop up the test ride dealio.

Good luck!

Bill - if you would post up your location, I'm sure there are many many members here in your area that would love to get together with ya for a ride and swap bikes for a run..... IMO, that to me is better then trying to get an opinion on a bike you can only put a couple miles on from the dealer.

I have had the luxury of riding the R1200RT and the FJR1300. I considered the BMW to be similar to sitting in my living room. Set the cruise, raise the windshield, and I could practically work on my laptop if I wanted to. I loved it. and it was pretty fun to ride too.

But, my FJR is definitely more fun, more sporty, and service is much easier. Which is why I need new tires every 4k.

Bill, Warpdv made a good suggestion. If you can find a close by FJR Forum member who will trust you to ride his bike, you will get a much better orientation. One of my riding friends had a 2005 BMW R1200RT which he bought new and just moved to a 2014 FJR1300A. So far he really likes the new ride. He is 66 years old 250lbs and 6' tall. He put bar risers on and I gave him a Yamaha touring windscreen. Given we live in CA where we do not ride in freezing weather, he used to complain the BMW did not give him enough air flow. As far a body position, I have found it is a matter of your posture. If you lean on the bars you will develop hand and shoulder discomfort. I found the best posture is to sit up straight and then let your shoulders shrug with elbows down. Reach out to the bars and use a light grip. Your feet should be on the pegs applying a little downward pressure. This takes practice and eventually you will find it comes naturally and very comfortable. As an instructor once told me, you should only have your hands on the grips with the pressure you would place on a raw egg. This riding posture gives the rider comfort and better control at all times. Tense grip and still arm riding actually inhibits control.

Good luck on what ever bike you choose.

There is no windshield tall enough or wide enough for the FJR to have the same wind protection as the R1200RT. If a complete pocket of stillness is your goal, the RT has only one outside competition and that is the GoldWing.

That said, there are many, aftermarket shields for the FJR, there are a couple of options for hand guards, and you can stay warm and dry on the FJR.

Forward lean is a matter of bar risers/handlebar bridge/seat and can be custom tailored. Yes, the FJR can be easily tailored to fit you and can be just as comfortable as the R1200RT.

I have ridden a 2008 R1200RT and I liked the bike. My friend had the peg lowering kit, a Cee Bailey Sport windshield, bar riser blocks and a Bill Mayer seat. I found there was too much wind protection for the humid heat of a South Louisiana summer.

I was very happy to give him back his BMW and he was reluctant to give back my Honda ST1300.

In my opinion the only advantage of the BMW is much better cornering clearance and lighter weight. Once it is moving, the weight advantage disappeared for me. Since my friend just waited for about a month to have his ABS motor replaced (WOW $$$$$) and this bike has very few miles, I find no advantage in the BMW for me.

Warpdv- I'm in North Georgia (cycle heaven) with an office in Atlanta. If anyone wants to give this fool a few minutes on their bike, I'll bring the RT or the 1976 R75/6. Thanks again guys for most excellent advice.