This Will Be Very Helpful to All Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yay, I saw this online yesterday.That is one smart, cool, and collected officer.

He could have let it get the better of him, and he didn't.

You know this wouldn't have gone down this way, if Ponch didn't call in sick that day.

Those bikers punks give us a bad name in general. Not happy with their stunt nor should any of us who value our sport. 'NS

Glad no one was injured, hope the LEO got some tag numbers and issued some performance awards afterwards. Punks like those endanger everyone's right to ride, IMHO.

I saw (somewhere, can't find it now) that the rider doing the taunting could be facing charges. That would imply that a tag or two had been noted.

They don't need to just be facing charges, they need to have their bikes seized and auctioned off while they sit in jail.

Why didn't they set up a road block or spike strips ahead? But really, no license plate numbers? That would have been very easy unless they didn't run plates while being jackasses, I sure wouldn't.

Why didn't they set up a road block or spike strips ahead? But really, no license plate numbers? That would have been very easy unless they didn't run plates while being jackasses, I sure wouldn't.

Spike Strips????? I suppose he could have just shot them off their bikes.
no.gif

Public highway -- bad. Riding gear -- bad. Disobeying an officer -- bad. Who cleans up the mess if something goes wrong? -- bad. My having this kind of reaction -- bad. This is one of the first signs that I'm getting old mature ;)

September 29, 2013 NYC Motorcycle stunters in traffic stop a car and beat the driver because they felt the driver did not yield to them. The following is the current status of that incident.

A total of 15 people were arrested, 55 motorcycles were confiscated, and 69 summonses were issued in connection with the September 29th event. Nine suspects have been charged in connection with the attack.

Christopher Cruz, who collided with Lien's vehicle at the beginning of the incident, was arraigned in Manhattan on charges of reckless driving and criminal imprisonment. Motorcyclist Reggie Chance, who was identified as the one who broke Lien's window with his helmet, and Robert Sims of Brooklyn, is shown on the video attempting to open the SUV's driver's door turned themselves in separately to Manhattan's 33rd Precinct on October 4.

Police have stated that they do not plan to file charges against Alexian Lien. In December 2013, Lien filed a civil suit against the city of New York for the involvement of an off-duty police detective in the attack. The suit accused the police department of failing to properly train their officers.

The charges against most of the bikers involved in the incident were lessened in December 2013 because of the lack of severity of injuries to Lien. “The victim’s facial wounds look to be healing in a way which does not constitute facial disfigurement under the law,” said Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joshua Stein­glass. The defendants, who were facing up to 25 years on charge of gang assault, are now facing up to 15 years if convicted on the lesser charge of attempted assault and attempted gang assault. A number of plea deals have been offered.

Lawmakers are attempting to introduce motorcycle safety legislation that would require a permit for gatherings of 50 or more motorcycles, and notification to the communities through which they would be riding. “We’re not splicing atoms here. This is something that’s very not uncommon. You know, permits are required for all kinds of public assembly and activities, and there should be a similar process for motorcycles," said state senator Adriano Espaillat. The legislation was inspired by the September 29 incident as well as the death of Marian Kurshik, 78, in December 2013 after being struck by a motorcycle traveling in a pack and performing stunts. The driver of the motorcycle was also killed in the accident. "His feet was on the seat; the front wheel pulled up. He was going very fast," said a bystander. "This not only, I think, protects pedestrians. I think it also protects the motorcyclists themselves," said Espaillat.

Examine what is happening from the officer's point of view. You don't pose a threat to them as you are obviously outnumbered and they are ignoring any indications of being stopped. In order to report plates numbers, you have to put yourself in the middle of these idiots and create an additional hazard. And backup is going to do nothing because they would be trying to chase bikes that are faster and more maneuverable. And now you've only increased the odds of something bad happening. Not that the brains of these guys are functioning that well, but most probably have plates covered or removed.

Not condoning these actions, but at some point the safer option is to let nature deal with them. I honestly hope to see every one of those idiots splattered across the pavement. I can only hope they all die before they breed, producing more idiots like them. If it wasn't for the added risk to the other traffic, I'd be OK with spike strips. Attempted murder? I think not. I'd call it a benefit to society.

Yeah...

So here's where I get a bit concerned. Yeah those hooligans are assholes. Yeah they should be corralled and prosecuted within reason. But meting out justice with spike strips is pretty much the same as shooting at them. The corrective action does not fit the "crime"

As far as I can see their crime was traffic violations. I did not see where they put anyone but themselves in harms way. If they had threatened, or physically harmed, another innocent motorist, like in the case ionbeam mentioned above, then yes... I would want the police to step in and do whatever is necessary to protect those innocents.

But where do you draw the line? Sure, wheelies down the highway, and most of the other asshat shenanigans that they were pulling are pretty extreme in terms of risk. So what about the guy that wicks it up on his FJR on the open highway to 120 or 140 mph? Twice the speed limit? Or those riders that pass the slow moving traffic on back roads over a clearly marked double yellow line (not in Vermont).

Aren't they equally as guilty of behavior that might be interpreted as extreme hooliganism? Should they also be shot on sight, or spike stripped into a deadly crash, too?

Aren't they actually us?

Last edited by a moderator: