Use 6 point sockets instead of 12 point

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieago

Reaction score
Ive been in the market and looking at a few bikes out there and I see so many mared up bolts with corners partialy rounded off on nice bikes like on the brake caliper bolts from people using real cheep 12 point sockets instead of using a quality 6 point. 12 point has its place in life but if the bolt is either has loctite or torqed tight or chrome plated use a 6 point. Its also a good investment to at least buy a 8-10-12-14-17mm snap on mac or matco socket in 3/8 drive JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people do buy cheap Chinese tools (Walmart shoppers mentality). Blame it on the economy or what have you, it's here to stay :( ...some of it could be the 12pt vs the 6pt deal, but I'm suspecting more of the el'Cheapo tools, even some idgits using a crescent wrench sometimes lol. Backwoods? yuuuup!

All I ever use, and works every time!

2365_4-pc._pipe_wrench_set_tekton.jpg

What scares me is the thought of did a shop do this? In my shop I try to do the best work possible if my shop is going to charge prime rates Im going to give prime service

I got rid of every single one of my 12-point sockets and replaced them with six-points (inch and metric, standard and deep, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives). 12-point sockets are completely worthless IMO.

Dan

EricL, If the shop mucked up your steering head nut you should insist they replace it with a new one! That nut calls for 85lb/ft torque and they may have used a 12pt socket. If not they did not have the socket fully seated on the nut.

I actually don't see too many 12 point sockets for sale anymore.

Even the cheap Harbor Freight sockets that I just picked up for my non-mobile tool box are all 6 point sockets. I'll do my best to break a few, since the have a lifetime warranty.

A lot of high strength aircraft fasteners have 12 pt heads, it is all we used on my Sprint car.

Not a lot of application on our bikes though.

You need a 10MM twelve point socket to take the front calipers off a Harley. That's when you need the metric hammer.
smile.png

You need a 10MM twelve point socket to take the front calipers off a Harley. That's when you need the metric hammer.
smile.png
And as I remember I also needed a 12 point 1/4 inch socket for my Road King front caliper
weirdsmiley.gif