Taking the GEN 3 panels off, is there a video somewhere?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone has a video out there about removing the plastic on the FJR. Soon I will need to do that and I'm expert at breaking things and forcing things.

I hear that it's a bit tricky and you need to apply a good bit of force at times.

If a Gen 3 owner would do this, it would be awesome for us Gen 3 newbies.

Wish you would've asked last weekend. I had the tupperware off.

The only thing that requires a little force is the center panel on the dash (the panel with the tits). I've found the best way to get this off is, after removing all the screws, is to stand in front of the bike, then grab those tits and give them a twist while at the same time, pushing them away from you.

All the rest including the fairing bits come off without to much trouble. The fairing sides seem to come off easier when you pull them away from the bike while upper tabs are still in.

Everything goes to back together easy-peasy. LIke putting together one of those old snap together models.

Wow, thanks for the link!

Good write ups in that link by MNFJR. Thanks!

You are right, great photos by Mr Atrophy as well!

I assume this thread is linked in the Gen3 FAQs and I just missed it. Great step by step for Gen3 virgins...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wheatie, why don't YOU make a video. You can edit out the screw-ups for the official version and post up the unedited one for our entertainment.

Believe me, Geek has nothing on me. There would be 23 takes of stuff being dropped and broken, followed by profanity, door slamming and local police being called to the scene. It would be a very expensive video..,

Believe me, Geek has nothing on me. There would be 23 takes of stuff being dropped and broken, followed by profanity, door slamming and local police being called to the scene. It would be a very expensive video..,
It could always be a "what not to do video"

I would watch it.

An' that would just be the video of you getting outa bed in the morning.. Damn it must suck to be old!

I took both the left and right cowls off my 2013 today. I have a service manual. It says remove right cowl and then remove left cowl. Very helpful.

Take your time. Look for points of resistance and you'll find a fastener of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator: