Lower back pain with Yamaha Comfort (Corbin) seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeFJR

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha comfort seat made by Corbin to try. I like it sitting on it, but it kills my back. I'm not sure what's going on. Rode Saturday for about an hour, and my back was so sore I was stiff Sunday and still a bit Monday. Today (Monday), a swapped the OEM seat back, and rode 90+ minutes without any issues. I like the extra support the Corbin gives for my thighs, it's wider, and a hair lower, although I'm just over 6'. I also don't slide forward as much. The Corbin seems to force my posture more upright. I would still like a new seat, but not sure I want to upgrade without trying first.

P.S. Went dirt biking 4 days last week with zero issues, and reasonably fit. Just weird the seat would be so wrong.

The seat will affect your ergonomic triangle. It may move you forward or backward, it may have you sitting higher or lower in the bike. If you like that seat then perhaps a set of bar risers will help.

Personally I think a true custom seat by one of the acknowledged masters of that craft is worth its weight in gold. I don't see the happiness in spending money for a generic, off the shelf seat when you could buy a seat custom built for YOU.

I wonder if this one will make NEPRT?

Like my Sargent, got the non-stick cover so I can move around easily. Used to be a 6 footer, last exam they said I am now a bit under.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Yamaha comfort seat made by Corbin to try. I like it sitting on it, but it kills my back. I'm not sure what's going on. Rode Saturday for about an hour, and my back was so sore I was stiff Sunday and still a bit Monday. Today (Monday), a swapped the OEM seat back, and rode 90+ minutes without any issues. I like the extra support the Corbin gives for my thighs, it's wider, and a hair lower, although I'm just over 6'. I also don't slide forward as much. The Corbin seems to force my posture more upright. I would still like a new seat, but not sure I want to upgrade without trying first.
P.S. Went dirt biking 4 days last week with zero issues, and reasonably fit. Just weird the seat would be so wrong.
The upright posture kills my back. I've got degenerative disk disease, and sitting upright -- with all my weight on my butt -- is a very bad thing. I can lean slightly forward and all's fine.

I'm with Wheatie. Stock seat, set in the high position, stock windshield, bars rotated to the forward position. Six weeks ago, I put in a 940 mile day to Longmont, and other than standing on the pegs occasionally to stretch out my legs and back, I arrived after sixteen hours in the saddle just fine. The seat foam feels fine for 75 mile stints, but I think it could be 30 to 40% denser for longer rides. You do start to feel the seat pan when sitting for tankfuls at a stretch. I, too, have a couple of bad discs in my lower back, and a cruiser-style seating position KILLS my lower back. Don't know how some of you guys can be comfortable with those highway pegs, but everybody has different pains, I guess. (I'm 6'3", 210 lbs). What would worry me most about those highway pegs would be ground clearance. That already seems to be an issue, without those pegs.

Like others have said, you'll need to ride one to find out for yourself.