Brake Bleed sequence on 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeefjr

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to flush brake fluid for the first time on my 14. Can anyone give me the proper sequence to do the flush. Guess I need get a shop manual.

Same as has been posted for any Gen II? No significant difference.

Sorry, feeling a bit tetchy this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Front2. Joined (Linked)

3. Rear

May as well do the clutch while you're at it...
Thanks for the simple and direct answer. There wasn't even any attitude!
smile.png

1. Front2. Joined (Linked)

3. Rear

May as well do the clutch while you're at it...
Thanks for the simple and direct answer. There wasn't even any attitude!
smile.png
LOL. I've been cutting back on the attitude, so I have sufficient for the deserving.

Also, I wanted to share that little mnemonic

Okeefjr, Get speed bleeders before you do this. You can get a good deal from Kirbysbrakebleeders.com. I have no skin in the game. It will make the job much easier and fast.

So enlighten us (me)....why replace the brake fluid on a bike less than a year old? Just curious.
Not that I'm in A big hurry, I just like to change fluids every 12 months so getting ready. Going for ride today across the Cherohala and back across the Dragon with a friend from Florida who has never ridden up here in heaven.

The dude with 2-wheel obsession says the linked brakes aren't flushed unless you pulse the ABS pump. Rather than figure out a way to jump the pump wires, he suggest flushing the linked brakes (front then rear), then ride the bike down the street and stomp on the rear pedal to activate the ABS. The pump will pulsate the fluid in it. Then you can re-flush the linked brakes (front and rear) to remove the rest of the fluid.

My question - is this Really necessary? What percentage of the fluid in the entire linked system is in the ABS pump? I see the point in exercising the pump to move the fluid there. But if 5% of 2 year fluid mixes with 95% of brand new fluid, knowing that I'm going to do it again every 2 years like clockwork - is that really necessary?

Just curious to know what the masses say.