It was time...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk

Reaction score
So after way too much time without a nice MC trip Marion and myself finally set out the first of October to PA for my sisters wedding, stayed for a few days and then headed south to Deals Gap, we spend 3 days in the area exploring the roads and enjoying the winding routes.

The ride out and back was kinda bland, highway both ways, due to time constraints... we wanted to take the Blue Ridge Parkway back home but it would have added another day to our travels, and we did not have time.
sad.png
On the bright side it gives a reason to return! We had a blast on the local roads, the Cherohala Skyway, RT28, RT129.

Thanks to the Forum forum for helping me plan.. "But wait!" you say, "There was post before this.." no there was not, however there was a lot of searching, from what tire plugs are the best, to the best air compressor, and even a pre-ride bike check, it was all there. Bikes performed flawlessly, lost one rubber shock on the tail mount for the top case but found a blown out tire on the side of the road and cut out a new chunk to fit, lasted the rest of the trip.

We had a great time, and are looking forward to doing it again soon. More pics after the big one....

585083.jpg

Code:
[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sph6gbirjkmac11/AABlfjjBnOlVp4Ji9N-XYDFNa?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sph6gbirjkmac11/AABlfjjBnOlVp4Ji9N-XYDFNa?dl=0[/URL]
Code:
[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sz2ggf3f1s69zko/AACow5FfjLl8ysjPuDqeToGKa?dl=0"]https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sz2ggf3f1s69zko/AACow5FfjLl8ysjPuDqeToGKa?dl=0[/URL]

Very cool, I just was there last Month. My favorite road was NC-80 however, but I did enjoy the Moonshiner 28 as you did. We did the Dragon with little to no traffic (on a Thursday), I enjoyed it but I liked a few others a tad more. And yeah, the BRP with the speed limits adds mucho time (if you are trying to get from A to B. But it's the scenic way
smile.png

This may be the same turn as your 1st image...

592978_zpsf3b22c0b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
clearly busted.

I hate gloves of any kind and am looking for some boots. Gloves seem to take the "feel" of the bike away.

On the SW spin I got to try out a few pairs of gloves. I was going to buy boots on the way up there from a cycle gear shop.

We rode up together, so I bailed on it.

I need to find the right pair that are a compromise between feel and protection.

Guilty as charged.

I thought about posting up "what are the best gloves, and boot recommendations" without searching, but I know what would happen.......

For gloves, I suggest trying a pair of the brand "Five" model "stunt." There are various iterations of these gloves, including a full mesh version for summer, fabric backs and full leather. They are pricey (about $85) but have good protection in the right spots and the fingers are the correct length (gloves need to fit with my hand wrapped around the bar or the fingers are too short for my comfort). When wearing them, dexterity is very good to excellent. Four of us ride in the family and we all have them. There is a women's version also.

Don't compromise on gloves or boots, get the best you can afford otherwise crashing without gloves means you will be feeling those hands and feet for years - or not.

When Bambi took me down my $200.00 racer gloves protected my hands very well and much cheaper than ground up hands.

Love my BMW allround boots, Water proof and held up to Bambi very well.

Keep an eye on El Toro Joe, he can sniff out gear deals better than a Carolina coon dog.

Sorry to call you out Josh, but think about what is the very first thing you stick out to "soften" the blow. Yep, your hands. Get use to the gloves, soon it will feel normal and then when you try to ride without... seems weird. Hey! kinda like the seatbelt on my car, it's a norm and it feels weird without it now.

Get shopping, next time I see ya I wanna see the full ATGATT
smile.png

Now go teach some youngin's! ...but not your M/C habits tho
wink.png

-KJ

Very cool, I just was there last Month. My favorite road was NC-80 however, but I did enjoy the Moonshiner 28 as you did. We did the Dragon with little to no traffic (on a Thursday), I enjoyed it but I liked a few others a tad more. And yeah, the BRP with the speed limits adds mucho time (if you are trying to get from A to B. But it's the scenic way
smile.png

Yes, I do believe that is the same turn... NC80 aka the Devils Whip.. yes it was on our list as well but did not make it. We where riding with my parents (they trailered out a GoldWing) and that destination got cut. With back issues my dad is not up for all days rides, and it would have been to get to NC80 ride it and come back.. Yet another reason to return to the area!

The GoldWing was the only bike not to make it... that is on the last day of our stay it died just inside of Robbinsville, NC at The Hub. It worked out rather well... the owner also rents MC so he had all the goods to get us back up and running. We had a nice meal while the battery recharged, and went on our way. Of course with the alternator going it was only about 30 in when it died again, on the skyway... Marion and I zipped back to the hotel, got the truck (a diesel F350 xlt crew cab with trailer) and took that back to pick them up. Must admit the skyway is much more fun on the FJR. But I did stay in my lane with the truck...

(edit to add pic)

FWIW, Mom and Dad did have fun, I was a bit worried they would not like the roads much (from WI, not much for curves in farm country) but both had a blast.

Screenshot%20from%202014-10-28%2012%3A50%3A21.png

smile.png

Yes, I do believe that is the same turn... NC80 aka the Devils Whip.. yes it was on our list as well but did not make it. We where riding with my parents (they trailered out a GoldWing) and that destination got cut. With back issues my dad is not up for all days rides, and it would have been to get to NC80 ride it and come back.. Yet another reason to return to the area!

The GoldWing was the only bike not to make it... that is on the last day of our stay it died just inside of Robbinsville, NC at The Hub. It worked out rather well... the owner also rents MC so he had all the goods to get us back up and running. We had a nice meal while the battery recharged, and went on our way. Of course with the alternator going it was only about 30 in when it died again, on the skyway... Marion and I zipped back to the hotel, got the truck (a diesel F350 xlt crew cab with trailer) and took that back to pick them up. Must admit the skyway is much more fun on the FJR. But I did stay in my lane with the truck...
Yuup, you got it... "the whip". And it was "the" best road of our almost 5K trip. I have a few excuses to go back as yourself. I think an excuse embedded in my brain is a justification to reason with my g/f who probably won't be seeing this like I am. Oh well, life goes on, I may be single by next year but I hope not!.

Glad to hear you got the Wing saved and it wasn't much of a inconvenience. Maybe we'll meet up some day down there, I definitely have it on my frequent locations list now. Love the Smokies
smile.png

Should also take the time to note that with out the AirHawk2 the all days rides would have been unbearable... after about 8hrs my butt has had enough, but with the AirHawk after the 14hrs to PA I wans't even worried about it.. my shoulders on the other hand... but I digress. Marion got the same and loved hers as well.. definitely worth the investment. Gear held up to the elements, we hit a bit of rain here and there, and the new heated grips where most welcome on most mornings. The Cardo Scala Rider systems keep us in touch and with some Jockery battery packs lasted through the longest days, it's nice that they can be used while charging.. maybe next year I can convince Marion to go again... time will tell.

Sorry to call you out Josh, but think about what is the very first thing you stick out to "soften" the blow. Yep, your hands. Get use to the gloves, soon it will feel normal and then when you try to ride without... seems weird. Hey! kinda like the seatbelt on my car, it's a norm and it feels weird without it now.
Get shopping, next time I see ya I wanna see the full ATGATT
smile.png

Now go teach some youngin's! ...but not your M/C habits tho
wink.png

-KJ
No prob. I deserve it. I appreciate the recommendations about specific gear. I know the boots I want, I just have to go and try them on to see what the right size is.

As for gloves, I just will have to get used to them.

Have 2 cents? If so, I'll offer another thought on gloves. Lee Parks deerskin gloves are very comfy and very tough, and give the most road feel you can get, IMO, while wearing any gloves at all. Extra protective layers on the palm and knuckles (available in longer gauntlet style too). All good gloves are expensive, BTW.

p.s. I bought mine at the Progressive Show that tours the US---a little cheaper there, and you can try them on. Get them tight at first.

...very comfy and very tough, and give the most road feel you can get, IMO, while wearing any gloves at all. Extra protective layers on the palm and knuckles (available in longer gauntlet style too).
...Get them tight at first.
This is starting to sound a bit like a Trojan ad.

...very comfy and very tough, and give the most road feel you can get, IMO, while wearing any gloves at all. Extra protective layers on the palm and knuckles (available in longer gauntlet style too).
But you can keep using the same pair again and again . . .

But you can keep using the same pair again and again . . .
Whadya mean? I use my Trojan again and again just like my daddy taught me. And just like I taught all 27 of my sons...
uhoh.gif