Trunk option?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
I have been out of the loop for awhile. Besides the factory trunk, is Givi the only nice looking trunk for the FJR ? While I like the Givi, I hate having to remove the factory rear rack. Plus, without the trunk, the mount look like crap. I know folks worry about broken sub frames, but doesn't the factory trunk just sit on the rear rack??

Is most using the 47L or is the older 46L monokey still popular?

Thanks for any info..

Smitty

Yamaha USA offers a Shad top case as an accessory but the Shad mount isn't pretty when the trunk is removed.

The Givi still seems to be the popular solution.

I saw Iris' and Jim's FJRs recently. They both had the GIVI 46 trunks with GIVI Frame and Ardmore LED lights that were Very noticeable from the back.

I've got that same package on the way to my house right now.

The FJR rear subframe is a dainty thing. You could use it...but use your mad welding skills to make your own aux frame with the OEM rack maybe??

You can get the Givi SR rack and then instead of using the Givi trunk mount plate, use whatever mounting plate that you prefer the looks of, bolted to the SR frame. The PCA Sport Racks look pretty nice with the trunk removed and allow the option of tying on a soft bag, can be adapted with Givi adapter kit, and should easily be mountable on the tubular Givi frame: There are probably some other flat racks that would do the same thing.

It might require you drilling some custom holes and finding different attachment hardware, but that shouldn't bother an old AVCC installer such as yourself.
wink.png

I do not think that the "Stiffy" supports the trunk load as well as the SR rack steel frame does. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, I'm kinda struggling with this sort of thing too. I really do not want to go the Givi route. Actually, I am thinking of how to fab up a quick release for a small personal cooler (figuring out how to bond something to the cooler's thin plastic is the current hurdle). Anyway, I've seen the Corbin Smuggler "trunk" discussion, so there is a truly priceless option.

I avoided the truck on the '05 for 9 years. They say "touring" more than "sportbike" to me. But with the '14, we have plans for much more two-up travel. So, I followed advice from this forum (I'd be lost without it) and went with the SR357 and the V47.

Sure, it's not as asthetically pleasing as no trunk and the stock rack, but damn, it's really convenient and totally useful.

I went with the Givi LED brake light kit, but I'd recommend the Admore light kit that also has running lamps as well as brake lights. Hindsight.

If you're gonna mar the clean lines of the FJR with a trunk, it might as well be one with useful size. Copilot likes the cargo space and the back rest functionality (didn't get the back rest pad).

Also wanted the nearly-matching red cover for the V47, but it's no longer available, so they tell me. The flat black ain't bad.

GiviV47_zps59e2060b.jpg

If you are not going to be riding 2-up and wanted to do something more like a smuggler, fitting a soft tail bag in place of your passenger seat is an option. The web site that used to have the story on using the Nelson Rigg Tail bags seems to have been taken down.

I saw Iris' and Jim's FJRs recently. They both had the GIVI 46 trunks with GIVI Frame and Ardmore LED lights that were Very noticeable from the back.
I've got that same package on the way to my house right now.

The FJR rear subframe is a dainty thing. You could use it...but use your mad welding skills to make your own aux frame with the OEM rack maybe??
Thats way to much work Wheatie...

I would like something the wife could lean back on. I like a Pelican case, but to ugly for my new girl. Whats nice about the Pelican, it's low profile and enough room for a Atlas and stuff. It would be nice if Givi made a plate like the bottom of a trunk. That way, when the trunk was not needed, you would have a platform for a soft bag. Just thinking out loud.

Smitty

It would be nice if Givi made a plate like the bottom of a trunk. That way, when the trunk was not needed, you would have a platform for a soft bag. Just thinking out loud.
See my link to the PCA Rack. Sounds like what you are describing

Don't care for the PCA racks, too big and fugly.

There's another alternative out there... Pricey when you combine all the pieces, but I think it would look good, provide support for the sub-frame and double as a rack AND trunk mount.

Add a SR357 but instead of using the plastic GIVI mount, bolt one of AltRider's racks to it. (VStrom rack just an example)The rack comes pre-drilled for a GIVI mount kit that provides a very stable platform for a Monokey trunk. The racks are also right sized as I've used both small and medium MotoFizz bags on my Tenere with it.

YMMV

--G

I have the older style PCA rack which is just flat, but has the neat (IMHO) FJR lettering machined through it.

The Givi V46 comes off in a flash and you have a practical, flat, carrying surface if wanted.

I have a spare Givi plastic mount for sale. 20 bucks plus shipping.

I have a Shad SH46 and I used the SW-Motech mount which looks fine when the case isn't on it. It consists of the plate shown with some spacers to mount it to the factory rack and some metal bracketry shown below that that are specific to the Shad case. Two kits, one for the SH46 and smaller, and another for the mondo cases. Whatever you do, don't by the Shad bracket. I have had three of them for other bikes and the FJR now and none of them fit correctly. I had to bend the one to fit my Honda and the FJR one was hopelessly wrong and I send it back.

gpt_06_498_20001_web.jpg

gpt.00.152.jpg