South East - South of South Dakota and East of Wyoming? Where to go, what and who to see. Festar and BigJohns epic adventure 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Festar doesn't plan, I do!

Looking for some input from those more knowledgeable about this part of the country.

July looks like the month. We have about 4 weeks between the Black Hills FJRoundup and the Sturgis Rally we have to work at.

Where and what should we ride? For both of us it is about the road and the ride, not so much the stuff you have to get off of the bike to see. We were perfectly happy to experience the great Northwest 500 miles per day mostly in the saddle.

Looking forward to your inputs. Snow flurries here yesterday. The Gray Ghost has been topped off with ethanol free fuel, rolled up onto the lift and the battery tender is connected. PMS starts mid November. Give me something else to think on.

Cheers!

"The only dumb question is the unasked question." Oh yeah? Here goes ... What is PMS and how come you guys get it just before Thanksgiving?

Last edited by a moderator:
Look on the map as to where I live and do not ride anywhere near it!!! The roads suck and the weather in July is significantly worse.

When I get the mini-ride report done for SW-Wisconsin done, you may want to go there with the help of routes from Oface, Griff, or Gramps. They had good routes and knew some good places to eat. The hotel we stayed at was cheap, clean, and classy

P.M.S is "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

People who work for a living and/or live where it

snows during the Winter are most susceptible.

PMS is Preventive Maintenance Stuff.

Colorado is an excellent alternative.

But Festar spent weeks down there last summer and we've never been in the SE USA.

Hoping for Global Cooling

Take him to the Barber Museum and Motorsport Park in Birmingham. I know you said you are not attracted to sight seeing, but the Barber will change that. And, if you are really up for a hot ride there is Key West. There are a few curves in Florida, or so they say.

July? In the southeast? Stay north of South Carolina and it will be bearable. Otherwise, get some mesh gear.

Annie and I planned to ride around Lake Superior after the Aerostich Rally in early August. Cool it was not. Hot, humid and miserable. We aborted and headed west.

Most years July is a great time for the Lake Superior ride. I agree hot and humid is miserable, that'd be my reservation about heading south. ff

I was thinking the Dragon and some of the places Redfish Hunter posted about riding with his father.

I have mesh.

Rockies again wouldn't bother Brian or I but, been there, done that. Plus we may do Rockies after Sturgis anyways.

Still interested in SE for now.

If you do the Dragon stuff be sure to go to the" Wheels in Time " mc museum in Maggie Valley. If you decide to go that way post up in the SE section of the forum for good local road knowledge. As I found out at EOM their are a ton of great roads that area.

Lots of great roads in N. Georgia, N.C., Tennessee, Kentucky, W.V., and VA. And you could also hit SE Ohio, PA, and the Cats & Daks in upstate NY.

Totally enjoyed SE Ohio and western WV this past June. Have also spent alot of time in upstate NY in summertime. Lake Placid area has some very enjoyable roads as does the finger lakes region. And you're so close to Vermont at that point you might as well ride the Green Mountains. Many beautiful roads to enjoy there.

If you want to come to the SE in July think elevation! NC,TN have great roads to ride. If you are up in the mountains it's going to be 10 degrees cooler then the coast or flatlands.

There are actually motorcycle trips in Florida I would recommend, but not in July.