Fuel efficiency of the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimRisch

Reaction score
Yamaha's published specs for the FJR indicate a fuel efficiency of 36 mpg. How accurate is that based on everyones experience? I have read in this forum of owners getting 46 mpg. Curious what to believe. I'm planning on purchasing a new 2014 ES next week. Great deal going into winter. $13,496.00 before taxes, registration, transportation, etc.

If fuel economy is a prime consideration, a 145HP motor might not be your first choice. However, on my Gen 1 FJR, I got low to mid 40s, higher in the mountains, lower if triple digits on a long straightaway in the middle of some lonely highway.

Thanks Loopy. While fuel economy is not my prime objective, it is always a concern. I would love to have the FJR be my preferred mode of travel for commuting when the weather cooperates. My commute is 40 miles one way. I would hope that it would be more efficient than my car. But I currently commute in a Honda Civic that gets 35 mpg. If the specs listed by Yamaha are to be believed, it is not any better than my Civic. I sort of find that hard to believe. My Civic is 135/140 hp and weighs a hell of a lot more than an FJR. So I'm just hoping to at least do better than my current commuting fuel consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 06 the best I got was about 55 when I was forced to run at 60mph or below for the entire day. Worst was 38mpg running an average of 78 mph but a mix of twisties like the Charohalla skyway and some 100mph slab.

My 14 runs 47-49 mpg. Mostly twisties but in touring except for tight stuff like the Dragon where it does drop to about 45. I get about 250 miles out of tank give or take, but never tried to run it dry.

{JimRisch 30 October 2014 - 08:27 AM}
...But I currently commute in a Honda Civic that gets 35 mpg...
Ya, but will your Civic go 0-60 in <3.0 seconds?
smile.png

If you aren't working your FJR hard you can expect >40 mpg; the Gen II typically gets at least mid 40's. It is possible to turn the horses loose and drop below 40 mpg but you will know that you are operating outside the good mileage range
wink.png

Thanks OldButNotDead.

Curious why you chose the A model over the ES for your new bike. Was it simply the cost difference, or was there other considerations?

I tend to average lower economy in the city when commuting and upper 30's is common for me. Does better on the slab, upper 40's to low 50's.

If fuel economy is a prime consideration, a 145HP motor might not be your first choice. However, on my Gen 1 FJR, I got low to mid 40s, higher in the mountains, lower if triple digits on a long straightaway in the middle of some lonely highway.
MCN just reviewed the latest Honda VFR800 (93hp) and they averaged 37mpg. 0-60 time of only 3.6. In that context, the FJR looks pretty good!
punk.gif

My Gen I gets 45 to 49 MPG almost always. Worst was all day stop and go with a passenger: 39 MPG.

My '05 has 93000 miles.

I haven't had it long, but I keep records :D

In the last 4500 miles it has averaged 40.898 mpg with a low of 31.102 mpg and a high of 46.676 mpg.

And speaking of $13,496.00, I recall picking up my '07 from the original owner. He paid sticker and it was about $13,200 + TTL.

And speaking of $13,496.00, I recall picking up my '07 from the original owner. He paid sticker and it was about $13,200 + TTL.
The sticker for the 2014 ES model is $16,890 I believe. So the dealer I'm looking to purchase from is offering $3,400 below sticker.

I don't have a commute, but my company provided car (a Plugable Hybrid) gets consistent 45 mpg average. Actually gets infinite gas mileage for the first ~20 miles while running straight off the re-charged battery, but 45 mpg after that.

If you are already driving a relatively fuel efficient car, it is pretty hard to justify taking a motorcycle instead based just on the economics. On top of the mid forties mpg fuel consumption, factor in the increased cost of tires, maintenance, etc and the bike is a losing economic deal, unless your alternate was driving a real fuel hog.

But it is much more fun to ride a bike, so it's worth that little more expense to many folks. Cheaper than a psychiatrist.
wink.png

Use UK gallons, you get another 20% distance for every gallon
mda.gif

My mpg records for my '06, '10, '14, overall averages 51.74 (43.08 US), 48.89 (40.71), 51.63 (42.99) respectively.

Wife's 2 litre diesel Audi A3's overall average 50.82 (42.32). Weighs a lot more, carries up to five people in air-conditioned comfort, good performance for a "family car", range of over 500 miles, quiet, no buffeting, a lot more visible on the road, no chance of getting wet when it rains, doesn't fall over in gravel parking lots, can carry several suitcases of clothes, tyres last for several 10s of thousands of miles and are cheaper than motorcycle ones, service interval: 19000 miles, just had one done, total cost including picking up and delivering, full valet, repair of puncture by six-inch nail (that I didn't know it had): £320 ($512).

So, which do I prefer to use?

I feel sad
omg2.gif

Thanks OldButNotDead.
Curious why you chose the A model over the ES for your new bike. Was it simply the cost difference, or was there other considerations?
I had an R1200GS with a similar electronic suspension system. I did see a significant difference in twisties by moving from Normal to Sport on the GS, but I could have just left it in Sport all the time. Since I ride alone most of the time, I would not use the advantages of the ES in switching from single to two up and back. Additionally, "IF" I need to upgrade my suspension, I'll probably get an old fashioned Penske shock and upgrade the fork springs for my 240lbs.

I got my A model because it was a good deal, but if I were shopping for an FJR, for me, the ES isn't a "must have."

Hah! Old pharts who get >32 mpg don't know how to twist the throttle. Arthritis, maybe? I average 32-36, tops. Unless on the road and out of state (Kali)

My lifetime average, which includes a lot of commuting in medium to heavy traffic with lots of slow speed/idling is 40.18. On weekend trips out of town and through the mountains it runs around 45-46, straight long distance slabbing at 60 - 70 is closer to 50mpg. Beats the crappy mileage of my 2008 Altima 2.5s by about double for commuting. Have yet to take the Altima out of town for any distance to get mileage under those conditions. but I am pretty sure it won't even approach 35mpg let along close to 50mpg. And for sure it is not anywhere near as enjoyable as the FJR on drives of any length.

My 2004 averaged 46.8 MPG over 82,000 miles. Worst was 37.5 on one day of over 85 MPH most of day. Best was 55.2 MPH just dinking along on the ALCAN.

For the first 2000 miles on my 2014 ES the average is 51.3 MPG.

Longrider