Techspec pad for lower fairing behind front wheel ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warpdrv

Reaction score
Just thinking about protection as a stone guard - I'd bet that they could make a cut for the triangle shaped area....

Thoughts ?!?! Other ideas ?

Still gathering things to put on the upcoming 15ES model.....

3M Film from Tankslapper is what we used on our 14s. This way you can clean the area and you can still see the color.

I can tell you from personal experience that they (Techspec) will make anything if you send them a template. They like templates made from file folder material (thin cardboard). I made a template for a pair of "Snake-skin" pads for the top of the side cases. I posted the final product here on the forum under accessories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used truck bed liner spray from Home Depot, it does a great job protecting the lower part.

I could see that on my 05, if it was a big deal to me ahchiu - not gunna happen on the 15....

ZOOOMM - I really don't want all those pieces of film for my bike - if I could just get it for that cowling I'd be interested.

I could see that on my 05, if it was a big deal to me ahchiu - not gunna happen on the 15....
ZOOOMM - I really don't want all those pieces of film for my bike - if I could just get it for that cowling I'd be interested.
Tankslapper will sell you any pieces you'd like separately. I just did that very thing for my '14. Just shoot Lucas an email: [email protected]

Oh - did not know that...... appreciate it....

No hurry, I'll wait on ahchiu.... Otherwise I'll send them off a message

Wonder how well Plasti-dip would work?? Plus it would be removable.

Smitty

Lucas at Tankslapper will hook you up. The first piece of 3M I put on the chin faring did not come out like I wanted. I called Lucas and he sold me another piece + several others that I wanted to do-over. The second time, I took the chin faring off the bike to do it - much better. The chin faring is not hard to take off. There are two screws on the inside that you need to remove. Lucas also gave me some pointers on the 3M film. He is a very cool guy.

Wonder how well Plasti-dip would work?? Plus it would be removable.
Smitty

Smitty - thats not a bad idea - my buddy painted his entire car with plasti-dip... He's done a few more of his buddies cars with it too...

that might be the way to go..... that stuff will take the abuse - peel off and you can do it again....

Hmmmm think your onto somefin

ahchiu doesn't have it...move along.

rolleyes.gif

Warpdrv, The way to make that 15ES panel look really sharp is to use 3M carbon fibre film. You can buy it on line in various size sheets. It is much less expensive than the cut to order stuff. A number of us on the Forum have used it on various surfaces. If you choose this material, make sure you have a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the material as you apply it. I would suggest you remove the panel in order to get a good full coverage and ease of installation. You can use this on the tank band as well. It would look very good on the Ghost Graphite bike. It is Halloween!!

I think Fred W may have used 3M 90000 Spray Film on the triangle piece behind the wheel. You may shoot him a pm to see how that is working for him.

We have used the spray 3M on other areas such as the side bags. It works great. My bike had a tip over and the spray alleviated all damage to the sidebag. I was completely astounded.

I used bed liner on mine. No worries. If I want to gussy-up the bike, then I spray some Pig Spit on it.

I used truck bed liner spray from Home Depot, it does a great job protecting the lower part.
Can you post a pic? When I first pulled apart the fairings on mine, I immediately thought that hitting the triangular piece with bed liner would be a good idea.

Can you post a pic? When I first pulled apart the fairings on mine, I immediately thought that hitting the triangular piece with bed liner would be a good idea.
Check pic on post 15 for PlastiDip application.......7000 miles and looks like I just applied it yesterday.

I'm not a huge fan of the way plastidip looks in person, especially on large-ish surfaces.