Winter Layup south of North Carolina?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with the term "layup" as used here. I have shot layups before and was laid up for 4 months after an accident falling out of a tree.

More explaination might help. But others may know what this means.

I am not familiar with the term "layup" as used here. I have shot layups before and was laid up for 4 months after an accident falling out of a tree. More explaination might help. But others may know what this means.
It's not just you, I'm confused too. I have no idea what a "layup program" is.

Do you guys enroll in layup program for anything south of North Carolina? How bad are the winters here?
The winter IMHO is bad enough that I generally park the bike mid-Nov to March. Icy and too damn cold for me. Plus I do my maintenance at a leisurely pace.

Damn ya'll. we don't layup in the wintertime. I assume layup means parking your bike and turning off your insurance. I never have. Two years ago, I was riding two up on New Year's Day (it was almost 60 degrees). We usually ride until it snows and the roads get salty. Once it melts and we get a rain to wash the salt away, we're back at it. Granted, we're not rolling big miles. But I'd hafta kill somebody if I couldn't ride 4 to 6 months a year. Wear your long johns, get some decent gloves, find a wind proof jacket and get out there.

Seriously, I'm 500 miles north of you. Anything above 40 degrees in the sunshine is riding weather. Remember you bought this excellent bike with superior wind protection. Get out and ride while you can.

According to Aerostitch, you've got over 300 days available to you!

Get a heated jacket, install some heated grips and enjoy the winter riding season.
punk.gif

Nothing like a nice crisp winter day to take the FJR out for a spin!!

DSC01199.jpg

--G.

Even here in tropical Montana we keep our bikes road ready all year. The last month we did not ride at least once was March 2012. Had a 6 month non-ride period due to health issues that caused the gap before that date.

When we lived in Fairbanks we would pull the bikes off the road for about 5 months. I have a friend with a BMW and sidecar that rides year round in Fairbanks, no matter what the temperature. He rode to work everyday in 2013 except for two days when they had an ice storm. That includes several days riding in temperatures in the -40s. He has a 2 wheel drive Ural now and hopes to ride through the next ice storm. He's a nut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Residing at

Elev 154 ft 48.78 °N, 122.52 °WI put Stabil in the bikes this week because the riding can be reduced by excessive moisture. But there is always a bike ready to hit the road year round.

I assume he meant, North of South Carolina. I'm thinkin you're gonna find "global warming" to be really helpful in regards to more riding time.

We got no snow but got the rain. 3/4" and still drizzling, a whopping 42*F now. Feels a lot colder to these old bones tho.

We got an inch of snow...very windy and the power was out...so we went to Stax for breakfast. Power's back on, which is good as it's fricken 42 degrees down here. What is this crap!

What is this crap!
That's what happens to water when it gets too cold.
cold.gif

Wait a second. OP is in Charlotte. Can't get that cold with all that concrete holding the heat from the sun. It's usually 5 degrees warmer in the city than in the burbs.

Dude....you wanna come back and just explain to us what is a layup program.

We got an inch of snow...very windy and the power was out...so we went to Stax for breakfast. Power's back on, which is good as it's fricken 42 degrees down here. What is this crap!
I thought u left that weather in Chi-town??

How was that driveway/ski-ramp of yours with the snow?

Winter still loves you Wheatie!!

yeah, I suppose I should have been more descriptive. I think y'all got the clue. In some parts of the country there is a layup program offered by your insurance company where the motorcycle has limited insurance and zero collision for like 5-6 months. Although the plan is flexible enough where if there was a good stretch of days you can just call it in and your good to go.

I'm gonna try to ride every month down here. I understand that is possible. Had a fun little ride today just in the foothills...had a great time. Good stress reliever on some lightly travelled curvy country roads.

Easily possible to ride twelve months a year here (heated gear a must for older bones and less wind protection jan/feb). I got out for a quicky today(I did notice they spread salt/sand) . Enough to get that big deep breath and feel that stress disappear. I can't remember when I didn't get out on New Years Day. Its definitely been 10-12 years.

Last edited by a moderator: