Economical Alternative to the Smuggler Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pterodactyl

Reaction score
This is a how-to thread that shows how to convert a Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 Tail Bag to an economical alternative to the Corbin Smuggler's Trunk.

This is not an original idea of mine. A member of this forum did essentially the same thing a few years back and posted a link to his website to show how he did it. I copied his idea. I cannot remember the other member's name and I'm told the link to his website is broken. I regret I cannot attribute the idea to the person who deserves it and hope he chims in if he is still frequenting the forum. I was asked by a member to post this DIY thread so that he and others can potentially adapt it to their bikes.

The concept is simple. Use a $58.83 Nelson-Rigg Tail Bag as an alternative to the Corbin Smuggler's Trunk. Now, I have nothing against the Smuggler's Trunk... except I think they are over priced by a wide margin. I had a Smuggler's Trunk on my old 2007, R1200RT and I loved it. This alternative approach has proven to meet all my needs and expectaions as an alternative, and in fact is a better option in some respects than the Smuggler's Trunk. It can be expanded or contracted to meet your needs, is not susceptable to minor dings, dents and chips and can be replaced with a new bag for about 8% of the price of the Smuggler. It does not, however provide the same level of security as the Smuggler.

I bought the Nelson-Rigg CL-1060 from Amazon in April 2013 (https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-CL-1060-Black-Sport-Tail/dp/B00AC6ZCMI); as of 2 November the price had not changed.

Here is a picture of the bag mounted and filled to the point of needing to be expanded.

IMG_1648_zps8a161da1.jpg

How:

- Remove the seats.

- Locate and remove the two 8mm screws located under the rear seat and next to the leading edge of the passenger handrail. In the picture below the screws have been replaced by the studs with the fender washers on them. I placed some closed cell foam on the cross brace as additional support for the bag; an optional step.

IMG_1653_zps4fe7926a.jpg

- Replace the screws with studs that provide 50mm of threaded area above the cross brace. I looked locally for an 8mm fastener with enough threaded area to make the stud and was unable to find one. I had a machinest friend make the studs out of a 3/8 bolt. He replaced the 3/8 threads on the bolt with 8mm threads. The 8mm threaded length should be equal to that on the OEM bolts you removed, plus the space required to hold an 8mm nut. We elected to leave the 3/8 inch thread on the part of the stud that protrudes above the cross brace. You can use a stud that has 8mm threads the entire length if you so desire. This is how they should look:

IMG_1127_zps514625bd.jpg

- Insert the 8mm threaded end into the holes where the OEM bolts used to be and then tighten the nut snuggly to hold them in place. Place a fender washer over the protruding stud.

Fit the tail bag into the opening to determine where you will need to make the holes for the studs. Have the rider's seat installed for this step. I used a red hot Phillips screw driver to melt the holes thru the bottom of the bag.

- Reinforce the bottom of the bag. I used a piece of 3/8 inch thick high density fiber board to make a interior bottom for the bag. This performs multiple functions: helps the bag hold its shape, provides a solid floor for the loading area and provides solid attachment points for securing the bag to the bike.

IMG_1124_zps8b76dbcf.jpg

I intended to replace the fibre board with a thick rubber sheet, but the board has held up well. I had anticipated that the board would get wet and deteriorate, but with about 17,000 miles with this system installed the board has never been touched by even a drop of water. You can see that I went with acorn nuts and washers to hold the bag in place; wing nuts are another option and will allow removal without the need for tools. I was concerned that a wing nut might wear a hole in whatever I place in the bag.

- Seal the opening. With the bag removed use an automotive door seal to provide a weather tight edge around the bag. There are a few types of generic seals available at NAPA. I used this style (do not recall the name).

IMG_1647_zpse4761ec3.jpg

You can see the seal installed and the opening prepared for the bag in this picture.

IMG_1655_zpsdb4d0e5b.jpg

Here is a sample of what I carry in the bag. Includes a normal selection of hand tools and specialty tools needed for the FJR and all of my wife's Beemers; multi-meter, tapes, fuses, tire pump and tire changing and plugging stuff. This picture does not include the first aid kit I also carry.

IMG_1133_zps70d8748c.jpg

The bag comes with a waterproof cover that is supposed to be stored in an internal pocket. It takes up too much space and would be cumbersome to use. I use it as an internal bag and place the contents of the bag in it. Makes it easy to remove everything if needed. I have been surprised that that in all the time I have used this set-up there has been zero evidence of any moisture getting inside the tail bag. Here is how I pack the tools.

IMG_1651_zpsf452a895.jpg

The first aid kit fits on top.

IMG_1650_zps526dec60.jpg

All shut-up and ready to go.

IMG_1649_zps48a525e2.jpg

We do a great deal of long distance travelling and often camp. I strap down all the camping gear loaded in a Kermit Duffle Bag on top of the tail bag. (The Pelican Case used as a tail box was an experiment that proved to be unsatisfactory for me.)

IMG_1138_zps8177c819.jpg

Security.

The fabric tail bag cannot offer the level of security of a Smuggler's trunk. You can use a small lock to lock the zipper tabs together. That will stop only the least dedicated thief. My bike is always stored inside and theft is not an issue in our rural area (there was a thief caught in a local home and shot dead by the owner a few months ago... that seems to have ended that sort of behavior for the time being). When we travel and stay in motels we cover the bikes which reduces the likelihood of theft, and on rare occassions I have taken the contents of the bag into the motel (once or twice); packing everything in the waterproof bag makes this easy.

The front seat cannot be locked. To access the front seat lock I slide my fingers between the bag and the Corbin seat. A knowledgeable thief could get the seat off in moments.

I simply refuse to let a fear of being robbed prevent me from using the system. I've never been burned before and hope it stays that way. If it happens then I'll get new stuff. I also bet a thief could pry open a Smuggler's Trunk with a screw driver in under 30 seconds. The resulting damage would be costly.

One side benefit is that you will now have a one seater bike. I do not like to ride with anyone else on the bike. Now I need not invent an excuse. Another is that I always have the tools I need with me. I have another tool kit for my R12R so there is not a need to repack everytime I trade bikes.

Hope this proves useful to some of you. Let me know if there are questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Job Sir......

Looks like it serves you quite well - and I agree with you on the idea of the Smuggler - I'm not sure that people buy it for security as much as looks and a bit more storage space.....

Alternatively - I'd be willing to bet that if someone had some skills, they could make their own smuggler out of fiberglass and a passenger seat pan....

Personally I rarely ride without my woman - so no need for me..... I like your ingenuity...

Nicely done and a great alternative to the Smuggler. If I weren't regularly switching between single and two-up, I'd take advantage of the idea!

I remember the original thread, good idea then and good idea now.

--G

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. Instead of using a stud, a longer 8mm bolt (like the original) will probably be easier to get at the local hw store.

I looked for a longer 8mm bolt with threads the entire length with no joy. Can't say my search was exhaustive, but couldn't find anything here in the sticks.

Excellent.

This will be a great alternative for solo riders who really don't want to drag one of the (many) fugly hard trunks around behind them. In fact, the little tail bag may have enough space in it to allow you to go without the side bags on day rides, and still carry your jacket liners or rain gear. Plus there will be no chance of inducing the dreaded high speed weave, which riding solo with a hard trunk presents.

I do not mind that the bag cannot be locked. For as long as I used my smuggler I never once locked the lid on it as I only put stuff in there that I wouldn't be too upset if it got yoinked. Similar to what goes in a tank bag.

But, I would like to be able to latch and lock the front seat, since it is a Russell and is worth about $500 by its own right. I'm thinking that a base could be fabricated that would be similar to the seat pan (or maybe an old seat pan used) and thereby be latched and locked. It should also make a quicker change to install the bag, or remove it and install a passenger seat for 2-up days.

I'll definitely be looking at scoring one of these tail bags as it looks like a perfect bag to work with.

Thanks very much for posting and sharing your efforts.

Good idea too Fred.since I never take a passenger, I may as well remove the rear seat cover and foam, then bolt the rear bag on it.

Decided to see if using the seat pan is a viable option. It will take some serious modification of the pan or a different size bag. One would also need to figure-out how to deal with all the exposed white plastic. Using the old cover may work, or perhaps coating it with truck bed liner. Not sure I want to try this or not. It sure would be handy if I can get it to work.

IMG_1660_zpsa2bf4d13.jpg

Thank you for the picture! You already have an exposed rear seat pan! Looks like there are lots more works to use the seat pan.

Decided to see if using the seat pan is a viable option. It will take some serious modification of the pan or a different size bag. One would also need to figure-out how to deal with all the exposed white plastic. Using the old cover may work, or perhaps coating it with truck bed liner. Not sure I want to try this or not. It sure would be handy if I can get it to work.
[img=[URL="https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/AKBeemer/FJR/FJR%20Tail%20Bag%20Project/IMG_1660_zpsa2bf4d13.jpg%5D"]https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/AKBeemer/FJR/FJR%20Tail%20Bag%20Project/IMG_1660_zpsa2bf4d13.jpg][/URL]
Oh man, a blank seat pan! All you need is to pick up some blue foam from Home Depot and fiberglass and resin from the auto store. Cut and temporarily glue the foam to the pan, then sand and shape to the desired shape. Pop it off the pan and glass the mold. When all is dry, gouge out as much foam as possible, then acetone dissolves the rest. You'll have to cut out the hatch, add a lip and hinge. Also a way to attach it to the pan, I'd probably glass in a 1" flange around the base or something like that. I've done this same process to make parts for RC airplanes, it isn't difficult, just takes patience and a lot of sanding.

Yeah...Thanks for that photo. That rear seat pan does look way too large.

I think maybe replicating the seat attachment hardware onto the bottom of the soft tail bag, after reinforcement, may be the way to go.

My solution to added capacity is a tail bag from Cycle Gear. They have a tail bag for $24.99 that fits nicely on the passenger seat. It comes with four tie down rings. I run the straps thru the rings and under the seat where they are joins with plastic snap fasteners. I use this bag for daily riding and keep the air compressor, tire repair kit, maps, eye glasses, microfiber cloth, and a dozen condoms. This set up gives me the secure under seat space for more valuable items.

Tagging on to this existing thread, I wanted to share a little project that I finished putting together yesterday using the same Nelson Rigg CL-1060 tail bag. I made this one for my VFR 800 because I have a Givi Monolock rack for it, but the hard bag trunk I have is big and ugly and not at all in keeping for a small svelte bike like the Viffer. The same overall idea could be used for mounting a bag like this on an FJR using any trunk mount you may have.

I started out by cutting a piece of 1/4" plywood (painted black for aesthetics) in the outline of the bottom of the tail bag. Then cut the required notches in the front end of the plywood to engage the Givi Monolock mounting plate, and a square hole at the rear to allow the Givi latch tang to poke up through.

The plywood could just as easily be slotted at the front to fit a Givi Monokey plate, if that is what you are running on your FJR, as I do. I may try later on to slot this one so that it will fit onto both the VFR's Monolock and the FJR's Monokey mounts, but with the side bags on all of the time, the need for a small tail bag is less for me on the FJR.

167.jpg

Drilled a single 3/8" hole in the rear of the mounting plate in the same area the electrical contacts would go (same place that I've drilled my Monokey mount and trunk for the FJR for added security, and inserted a long plastic (unused) toilet seat mounting screw through the plywood and Givi Mount.

Drilled 4 holes and inserted 6mm Furniture Connector Caps Nuts (that I had leftover from the experiments with 3rd Gen AntiVibe Aux Light Bracket Mounting) up from the bottom.

Here's a fuzzy photo of the underside showing the FCCNs and the gray plastic toilet nut when all mounted up.

175.jpg

Four short M6 1.0 x 10mm screws and fender washers from the inside threaded into the four FCCNs hold the bag to the plywood securely.

168.jpg

Finished it makes a quickly detachable tail pack that is just big enough to carry the necessary items for a day ride.

171.jpg

172.jpg

176.jpg