Average cost for dealer-performed 600 mile service?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
I'll do my own fluid changes after this, but having just scheduled my 600 mile for tomorrow, I wonder what folks who paid for this service, paid for it? Dealership (heretofore known as the 20 PSI Mafia) wanted $275, and undoubtedly would have added supplies on top. I'm getting it done for about half. What's the average?

I had to have my steering bearings tightened up at 1500 miles. As I did the fluids myself at 600, I was charged $100 for the steering service. Might not be a bad thing to have him actually go through the checklist

My dealer. Roseville Yamaha charged me $263 for the 600 mile svc. It included $88 for oil/filter and gaskets. Hereafter I will do my own oil/filter and final drive fluids.

If you do your own fluids make sure you log it in the maintenance sheet. In the event there are any failures or issues with the engine or final drive during the warranty period Yamaha will want to see that info.

I had to have my steering bearings tightened up at 1500 miles. As I did the fluids myself at 600, I was charged $100 for the steering service. Might not be a bad thing to have him actually go through the checklist
If they really go through the complete check list, it's not bad, but I doubt it.

Before you take it in, use a marker or something and mark some nuts and bolts and see if they really loosen it and check it (like steering nut, they can't check the steering torque without removing it, or the 2 tank bolts in the front, they will have to remove them to check TBS etc...)

So when you get your bike back, you'll know, instead of just taking their words "yes, yes, we did all that and more".

Last edited by a moderator:
And here I thought my BMW dealers 600 miler at $224 was outrageous. I do my own as well, but the 1st one I had them preform it so they could put it on the computer to read all the diagnostics. After all read OK (except the XM Radio's free 1-year subscript as never being activated yet)... I've been on my own since, and the 12K (3rd) service done with under $40 fluids/filter.

Pays to do it yourself as we all know.

After discovering that the dealership had mis-assembled my new bike before I took delivery, I will not be returning to that particular dealership for anything (including warranty or recalls). They had installed all the plastic windshield screws in various spots around the faring, and used the black steel faring bolts for the windshield.

When I first discovered the metal windshield screws (while putting on a larger "RJF" touring shield I thought it was kind of odd, considering how diligent Yamaha has always been in putting breakaway plastic screws there. Then I found most of the plastic screws were in the faring, and finally put two and two together.

While this is not a serious faux-pas, it does show that they perform slipshod work and did not consult the assembly instructions. That kind of mistake when re-assembling an engine could have far more significant ramifications.

I did my own 600 miles maintenance, and will be doing my own 4k mile service soon.

After discovering that the dealership had mis-assembled my new bike before I took delivery, I will not be returning to that particular dealership for anything (including warranty or recalls). They had installed all the plastic windshield screws in various spots around the faring, and used the black steel faring bolts for the windshield.
When I first discovered the metal windshield screws (while putting on a larger "RJF" touring shield I thought it was kind of odd, considering how diligent Yamaha has always been in putting breakaway plastic screws there. Then I found most of the plastic screws were in the faring, and finally put two and two together.

While this is not a serious faux-pas, it does show that they perform slipshod work and did not consult the assembly instructions. That kind of mistake when re-assembling an engine could have far more significant ramifications.

I did my own 600 miles maintenance, and will be doing my own 4k mile service soon.
Most shops not all but most including 3 Ive worked at don't have the mechanics build new bikes it low wage young flunkys. Mechanics work on commission and bike builds pay flat fee per each model.

Figuring current labor rates and adding fluids / materials, it's easy to break the $200 mark for not much work.

As many have indicated, it's relatively easy to run down the check-list and change fluids so I'd lean to DIY and get to know your FJR!

Plenty of help available on the forum...Good luck!

--G

Most shops not all but most including 3 Ive worked at don't have the mechanics build new bikes it low wage young flunkys. Mechanics work on commission and bike builds pay flat fee per each model.
This provides me no degree of comfort or assurance that they wouldn't fuck up my bike if I brought it in. Ever hear the saying: "You only have one chance to make a good first impression?" Yeah, paying that flat rate monkey to assemble my new $16k bike just screwed them out of any chance in the world for any future business from me.

It's horror stories like these that inspired me to select a dealer 90 miles from where I live. Roseville Yamaha has an excellent service reputation. I had them do work on previous FJR's with excellent results. They also were the only dealer in northern CA willing to negotiate price on the ES back in November 2013.

This provides me no degree of comfort or assurance that they wouldn't fuck up my bike if I brought it in. Ever hear the saying: "You only have one chance to make a good first impression?" Yeah, paying that flat rate monkey to assemble my new $16k bike just screwed them out of any chance in the world for any future business from me.
Woah, I've been away too long I guess. Last I heard you loved your dealer, even gave recommendations to local peeps to buy there new bike there.

I guess the brakes went on and in reading I don't blame you. Anybody that is given the chance to assemble a new bike should know the basics like the plastic screws are for the windshield etc. If not, this person (can't say tech) should be supervised, eh!?.

Once bitten, twice shy, and sorry to hear this Fred.

Read back through my prior posts. I was never enamored with MOMs (Motorcycles Of Manchester). I dealt with them because I was smitten with the bike (after test riding it), the timing was right for me to buy, they had (smartly?) arranged to have the Yamaha Demo Truck there, and they had the exact bike I wanted in stock. In retrospect I'd have been able to make a far better deal if I had been more patient and gone shopping. But honestly, what is your time worth?

But I don't care at all.

The monetary difference is not a big issue (for me) because I intend to keep the bike for long enough that by the time you average it out it will become insignificant. Besides, the financing they supplied was better than what I could have come up with by a full point, and much better than what I could get leaving the money in the bank collecting interest.

The fact that they assembled the bike wrong is not a big issue (for me) because I have no faith in any dealers and would likely have done all my own maintenance anyway.

And nothing they did will affect the longevity of the bike in the long run.

Sure, I'd have liked it if I felt they were an option for warranty and recall work in the future, but there are others out there. No sweat off my brow.

My 600 miler was free. After all the numbers on my trade and how much I was going to pay for my new 2013... When I was happy with the deal I said one more thing. I will need a gallon of oil and a filter for my first service. They said no problem, and the deal was done. I always do the work myself. I do this on all new bikes, and they have never said no..

My local dealer employs minimum wage "Techs". They don't even have a state inspector, and have to take there used bikes for sale to the local gas station for a Missouri state inspection.

I have seen to many mistakes from small dealerships.. I have a hard time having a dealer do warranty work, or a recall. All service dept. suck.

Believe it or not, this 2013 is the only FJR of the seven I have owned I have bought new..

Smitty

Mine ended up costing less than $140, and that included going over everything, since anything the dealer touched was suspect. I've got to get a difference sized oil filter wrench and crush washers ordered....

The cost for inspection one (600 miles) will by design be all over the road. I was out on my first longer ride with my 2015 ES and hit the 600 mile mark in Las Vegas NV. The only available dealer was in Bolder and they charged me $213 for just an oil change and diff fluid. OK so I put in $70 Motul, but that number was still pretty high. And mind you, that was for the oil change ONLY.

Upon my return to LA I had around 1100 miles on it and contacted my selling dealer. He said they would not charge for the inspection at all and for me to bring it in when I had the time. Since the oil was done and the only other important thing was the TBS. They could do that anytime.

So, go figure...

Whats all this talk of "changing fluids"??

It's a NEW bike, the fluids are BRAND new, my manual doesn't say to change any fluids other than oil??

I have NEVER paid a dealer for their overpriced glorified oil change and never had a warranty issue because of it.

Change the oil yourself and save the receipts, that's all you need to do.

Actually the 600 mile service does call for changing the final drive gear lube too, which kind of makes sense since you want to get rid of any metal filings and swarf that flush out in the first few miles. I did my own 600 mile maintenance, used Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic in the engine and Mobil 1 80W90 synthetic in the final drive, and also used a Bosch automotive oil filter as well.

I'm betting (with my own bike and money) based on prior FJR knowledge and experience that any warranty claims on my new 2014 ES will be for electronic controls or electrical device issues and it won't matter in the least what oil or filters I've chosen to use. YMMV

Just wondering - does the Yamaha warranty have any fine print that requires an authorized dealer to perform the 1st 600 mile service?