USA Sunrise To Sunset Insanity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My riding is on hold for now with work hours increasing and available credit decreasing, BUTT I am pondering a ride next spring (End of May) which

will include a Sunrise to Sunset Insanity ride. Is this too risky time of year with weather and passes through altitudes?

Should be doable Tony. Watch the weather forecast and obviously avoid any spring storms in the northern sates. Might be kinda cold in a few places...

Let us know if you need witnesses, tires, maintenance, etc. out west. You'll have the PNW crew at your disposal.

More info on the S to S Insanity?

--G

Mid June give you the most daylight, but I have done a cross-country (2013) at the end of April, ending May 2 from West to East. All major Interstate passes will be open, and even very high passes like Beartooth open before Memorial day. On average, there should be no problem, but the forecast about a week out will be better than my guess today.

Mid June give you the most daylight, but I have done a cross-country (2013) at the end of April, ending May 2 from West to East. All major Interstate passes will be open, and even very high passes like Beartooth open before Memorial day. On average, there should be no problem, but the forecast about a week out will be better than my guess today.
Backing it off until summer would make sense, but I am actually leaning towards doing another ride in late June out in Albuquerque. I need some experience

riding with a new (To me) GPS… Heck for that matter, I need to decide on which bike to ride.
unsure.png

Doesn't that ride start at the top of a mountain?

Are you in the IBR this year too?

Weather probably won't be an issue, Tony. I'd keep an eye on it a couple of weeks out. The Bitterroot region of Montana and Snoqualmie pass are potential problem areas. Back in 2002 I had to route around the Bitterroots during the 48+. In 2008 we ran the Sunrise to Sunset and it was gorgeous weather, but that was July. :)

I'll tell you, though... The Sunrise to Sunset is one of my favorite LD rides.

Tony, sounds like a helluva ride!

I'm surprised that this hasn't been done yet, and in our own backyard no less. Hope a Flatistan boy/girl does it first.

"77. Lap of Florida (Around Florida in 44 hours) {None}"

I'm surprised that this hasn't been done yet, and in our own backyard no less. Hope a Flatistan boy/girl does it first.

Ahhh that's because there is this ride:

76. Lap of Florida Insanity Gold (around Florida in 32 hours) {1}

Around the perimeter of Florida, corners of the state; Amelia Island (northeast point), Perdido Key (northwest point), Marco Island (southwest point) and Key West (southernmost point) collecting sand from the Atlantic Ocean, North Gulf of Mexico, South Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Straits and return to start. {1}

Very good ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't that ride start at the top of a mountain?
Are you in the IBR this year too?
There was a long ride report/write up in a past Iron Butt mag. And yes I was selected for next years IBR, but I hadn't made up my mind yet….

Now the wife has found employment and I am starting to lean towards riding it. My '05 has completed 7 10/10ths and 1 IBR and is currently sitting

with 210k. Wondering if the relief ('08) should be called up from the bull pen. (?)

Weather probably won't be an issue, Tony. I'd keep an eye on it a couple of weeks out. The Bitterroot region of Montana and Snoqualmie pass are potential problem areas. Back in 2002 I had to route around the Bitterroots during the 48+. In 2008 we ran the Sunrise to Sunset and it was gorgeous weather, but that was July.
smile.png

I'll tell you, though... The Sunrise to Sunset is one of my favorite LD rides.
Snoqualmie pass nearly kicked my butt after leaving Iggy's on my 48++. I remember thinking "I have another 1k north to go from here? How bad is this gonna get"

I have heard that this ride is nice!

Tony, if you get lost with the new GPS
tonguesmiley.gif
I'm only 12 minutes off interstate 80 west of Lake Tahoe.
Getting lost can lead to some nice roads - I just hate it when you're on the clock and it happens!

Maybe I will stick to some southern certs on this ride (Why-Whynot/BBG3000) and save the Hyder to Hyder and Sunrise to Sunset for early September.

I want a rematch with the Mississippi Headwaters ride to!

If I top it off with a 50cc THW, I will stop by and you can show me some roads out west!

Last edited by a moderator:

QUOTE from #101stpathfinder#

Around the perimeter of Florida, corners of the state; Amelia Island (northeast point), Perdido Key (northwest point), Marco Island (southwest point) and Key West (southernmost point) collecting sand from the Atlantic Ocean, North Gulf of Mexico, South Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Straits and return to start. {1}

Very good ride!
So, are you the only one to have done that one? It wouldn't surprise me. :)
I only mentioned 77 because it hasn't been done yet.

QUOTE from #101stpathfinder#

Very good ride!
So, are you the only one to have done that one? It wouldn't surprise me.
smile.png

I only mentioned 77 because it hasn't been done yet.
No, not the 1st.

There were 2 riders who "Created" the ride that did it prior to me. I was 3rd after them.

It was a great ride! One of the best short rides I have done. Amelia Island headed south to Jacksonville is beautiful at night

with its lighted bridges and moonlit water. I was headed to work one night and was running late, so I pulled over and called

in sick. Went home and loaded the 4 points into the GPS and had 30 hours (1880 miles) of wonderful riding.

End of May your odds around here would be very good. If you're on I-90 your potential bad areas would likely be Billings to Butte MT. Butte to Spokane you go further north but get closer to the coast and drop some elevation. Yes, a rogue storm system can drop some snow that time of year but it wouldn't last.

Number 77. Has been done as shown on the IBA's certified ride list. Still only by 14 riders.

It's a great ride and gave me an appreciation of how how big this state i

Hmm this ride intrigues me... I was planning to do a ride from my house to key west and back following both of florida's coast. But this seems to give me more rest time, let me see how much vacation I have!