High Mileage Bike Trade/Sell?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Within the next couple of years, I will be faced with replacing my trusty '07 FJR. Assuming I don't run into mechanical difficulties before then, I expect to have just shy of 200,000 miles on it. My question is: "What does one do with a high mileage bike?" We will postulate that it still runs reasonably well and doesn't burn oil etc. Keeping it for local riding until its ultimate demise isn't really a possibility - space and on-going insurance and vehicle registration costs are too high for a bike that, in reality, would rarely get ridden. (Even basic insurance around here would run several hundred dollars).

I already spoke with a local dealer and they're not much interested in doing any sort of trade (even with only the 125,000 miles that are currently on it). I also suspect that a local classified advertisement will not generate an overwhelming response. I can't bear the thought of stripping off parts that might be useable on a new(ish) Gen III and junking the carcass. I guess I might be able to sell body parts on the forum but don't have the space to store the inventory or easy access to shipping to the USA.

I'm sort of thinking it might end out as a gift to someone in need. How has anyone else handled this?

I just sold mine with a 100 thou miles on it. It took a little bit (listed in June, sold in Oct). Ya, I pretty much took a bath on it. Book value on an 04 in VVG condition was $5900. Mine sold for $3K. I was asking 4K than 3.5K. I probably could've got 4 for it had I been willing to hold it until next bike season. But ins at $800/yr, plus storage space etc meant I took what I did.

Buddy got a good bike pretty cheap. I'm up 3K on a bike that didn't owe me a single dime. Win - win.

Of course, if your a tight ass and letting it go for a single dollar less than you paid for it... well, that's your problem :D

Bikes with high miles just don't sell well. There are so many people that don't put the high miles on, and high mileage bikes are much more rare. I have sold a 2004 and 2008 that were babied and in fantastic shape. I sold them both at very good prices (for the buyer). On FJR's, it's a buyers market. On the plus side, my 2014 is worth every penny.

Every bike has a buyer at the right price. The price might not be right for you as the seller, but the value is well above zero, and less than the wholesale book. We have seen some high mileage IBR bikes come up on the forum, and they eventually sell, and the new owner is usually happy and amazed at the bike. Beemerdon found a home for his Miss Lucy Liu with Bgross in southern CA. That bike was very loved and in need of a lot of work and suspension, but it was a great story of re-homing.

Another idea would be to keep it as a ride for visiting friends. You live pretty far out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the other side of this equation.

I bought an '05 with 88 000 miles on it. I paid somewhat less than the numbers being bandied around here, but still think the bike was actually worth more.

There is a market but I'm guessing connecting the right buyer with the bike may take a while. The idea of "gifting" is a good one. Those bikes may be worth something, but they don't owe you ANYTHING. So if you can afford it, it's a great way to set an enthusiastic but poor rider up with a decent platform.

Paying it forward in style :)

The "Gift" idea has some appeal to me. I would rather see it used by someone than sitting, junked or parted out. For the "typical" rider, it might have at least a few years left in it; even with 180,000+ miles on the clock.

Regarding the possible sale - If I thought I could get $3000 for it in a year or two, I would have no complaint. The only condition I would have on a sale would be "as is", with no warranty (expressed or implied) other than it will start and run (at the time of sale).

Ross, I would gift it within... Fred W just passed his bass-bowte-blu down to his Son. Great idea, and it can be a win-win also, So if you have any siblings that may be interested?, I would go there.... keeps it in the family ;)

Ross, I would gift it within... Fred W just passed his bass-bowte-blu down to his Son. Great idea, and it can be a win-win also, So if you have any siblings that may be interested?, I would go there.... keeps it in the family
wink.png
My son (age 29) doesn't ride and even if he wanted to start, I would not contribute to him being a traffic statistic by getting him started on a bike that is too much for a beginner. My brother, on the other hand, rode for years and is currently without a bike for various reasons. I'll wait and see what's up when I'm getting closer to making a move on a replacement.

Craigslist it. With high mileage bikes that have been replaced, if I keep it arorund, I'm going to keep riding it and therefore, keep repairing what breaks. If it's not a forever bike, and not a high value bike, sell it cheap locally. I do like the idea of finding someone with a skankmobile, and gifting them the bike.

Within the next couple of years, I will be faced with replacing my trusty '07 FJR. Assuming I don't run into mechanical difficulties before then, I expect to have just shy of 200,000 miles on it. My question is: "What does one do with a high mileage bike?" We will postulate that it still runs reasonably well and doesn't burn oil etc. Keeping it for local riding until its ultimate demise isn't really a possibility - space and on-going insurance and vehicle registration costs are too high for a bike that, in reality, would rarely get ridden. (Even basic insurance around here would run several hundred dollars).

I already spoke with a local dealer and they're not much interested in doing any sort of trade (even with only the 125,000 miles that are currently on it). I also suspect that a local classified advertisement will not generate an overwhelming response. I can't bear the thought of stripping off parts that might be useable on a new(ish) Gen III and junking the carcass. I guess I might be able to sell body parts on the forum but don't have the space to store the inventory or easy access to shipping to the USA.

I'm sort of thinking it might end out as a gift to someone in need. How has anyone else handled this?

What about the possibility of donating it to a local trade school and taking a tax deduction for a charitable contribution?

It is a buyers market right now. The only bikes selling are low mileage bikes for around $1,000 (give or take) above trade in. My advice is advertise the FJR "Must sell this weekend, make offer" and hope for $2,500, or donate it to a charity for a tax credit. Nobody wants a 50,000 mile Sport Touring motorcycle, much less 200,000 miles.

Beary

It is a buyers market right now. The only bikes selling are low mileage bikes for around $1,000 (give or take) above trade in. My advice is advertise the FJR "Must sell this weekend, make offer" and hope for $2,500, or donate it to a charity for a tax credit. Nobody wants a 50,000 mile Sport Touring motorcycle, much less 200,000 miles. Beary
That depends. There are a lot of FJR owner wannabes out there that may not have the resources to get a mid-to-low mileage bike (raising a family, limited resources and/or income). Finding them is certainly a challenge since they are probably not scanning ads for a deal. Word of mouth may be the best method as well as forums like this.

Also, bartering may be possible. There may be talented individuals that could trade labor or other skills in exchange for your FJR. Roofers, plumbers, landscapers, carpenters, auto mechanics, etc. that may not be able to free funds for the bike but have plenty of desire to own one.

Dan

The price isn't the hard part, it's actually finding somebody who would buy a bike with that kind of mileage.

At ~200,000 miles, you're within the window where expensive parts start to wear out.

I'm amazed that a 2004 with 100,000 miles got $3,000, that seems like a win for the seller!

That bike OWES you 200k...

Make it pay!!!

Mine owes me 248k. I figure I paid $4800 back in '09 with 8k on it, so here is the equation:

Price X .50 + original miles= Expected life

So some of you have many more miles to go!

That bike OWES you 200k...Make it pay!!!

Mine owes me 248k. I figure I paid $4800 back in '09 with 8k on it, so here is the equation:

Price X .50 + original miles= Expected life

So some of you have many more miles to go!
So your bike owe you $4800 x .50 + 8000 = 10,400 miles. Damn it could have died happy years ago!

Even if you meant $.50/mile (2-miles/dollar), that is a mere 20K miles. You and I have both been riding free for a while. Anyway, something about this new math is confusing to me.

I think you are looking for $0.0202 (2-cents) per mile x 237600 miles = $4800 + 10,400 miles = 200,000 miles for $4800.

Yep, that works, now I feel like Fred.
fool.gif

Gift it to an experienced rider or donate it to charity. We have several charitable facilities here that turn it into funding for poor kids going to college. When my 2005 turns 200K I will view it as spent and monetarily worthless yet priceless for the miles of enjoyment and years of great memories.

Triple A depreciates a compact car that covers 15000 per year, at 16 cents per mile.

A $10 000 bike would, on that basis, owe you nothing after 62 500 miles.

At this point, Yamaha owes Tony quite a lot of money towards his '15

Latest posts