Riding in Heavy Rain

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Seeing several admonitions in the factory owner's manual not to put water on or in certain parts, it makes me wonder. Coming from a bike that was impervious to water, is the gen III FJR okay with running in the rain? I mean all day in a rainstorm? After reading the manual and some posts about rain and switches going bad, just wanted to hear from the pros who ride in the rain, to include any precautions to be taken maintenance wise. Thanks in advance.

Can't speak for a Gen III, but I've never had any problems with my Gen II and I have ridden it all day in continuous rain.

As for maintenance I am completely sold on ACF-50. I have opened all my connectors, including the dreaded ground spiders and sprayed liberally with ACF-50. Never had any problems.

Ride what ya have to and don't worry about it... that kinda thinking takes the fun outta it ;)

My Gen2 has had all day rain rides, never a problem with the bike.

Dunno 'bout the gen IIIs either, but I've ridden all my bikes in heavy downpours 'n never had a problem. (Even my fragile Bring Mor Wallet survived torrential down pours.)

Back in '82 we had record rain, 'n I traded my pinto wagon for an XS750. Rode that naked bike daily in the rain. The bike did fine, putting on wet gear every morn'in kinda sucked though.

I do try ta ride around 'em 'round the 1st dry day to help dry 'em out.

Bikes iz like wimmenz; they both need ta be ridden!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno 'bout the gen IIIs either, but I've ridden all my bikes in heavy downpours 'n never had a problem. (Even my fragile Bring Mor Wallet survived torrential down pours.)Back in '82 we had record rain, 'n I traded my pinto wagon for an XS750. Rode that naked bike daily in the rain. The bike did fine, putting on wet gear every morn'in kinda sucked though.

I do try ta ride around 'em 'round the 1st dry day to help dry 'em out.

Bikes iz like wimmenz; they both need ta be ridden!
I can confirm that even as late as 2010, a 1977 Yamaha XS750 survived a SS1000 which included 32F temps and torrential rain, just fine. Actually, it managed way better than the rider!

I haven't seen a thread ever of an FJR stranded because of rain in a storm. I may be wrong, but I ain't ever seen it.

I know that I have personally ridden through storms that dumped 6 inches of rain in Illinois and Missouri that caused local flash flooding and road closures.

I'm on a Gen I in that photo in southern MO, but I'm betting that my Gen III will hold up just fine.

(BTW, 36 degrees in that photo)

EDIT: I forgot... #Flood #FrickkinCold #Rutabagas #GAS #Lumberg #Confused

My buddy Doug and I did an SS1K together in heavy, all-day rain -- me on a Gen I, him on a Gen II.

The bikes did fine. I'd bet the Gen IIIs would handle it with no problems, as well.

Don, this rain is what fills the above and below ground manmade and natural reservoirs that municipal water systems use to supply individual homes, so refrigerators can make ice that you use to put in certain alcoholic drinks.

As you can see, it is very necessary!

Don, this rain is what fills the above and below ground manmade and natural reservoirs that municipal water systems use to supply individual homes, so refrigerators can make ice that you use to put in certain alcoholic drinks.
As you can see, it is very necessary!
Muchas Gracias Señor Wheatie, Papa Chuy Viejo has always suspected that there may be some water in his Margaritas! Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, Suerte!

Did Dweezil play guitar in torrential rain? Or eat hummus on an FJR?

Riding in heavy rain for an extended time gets old for the rider, but FJRs handle downpours as well or better than any other road bike I've owned.

More Ice!!!!
Good on ya, Doug -- you, too, are praying for snow from 2 miles south of me?

Latest posts