Plasti-Dip after one season

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
I used the satin black Plasti-Dip on the bottom front of the fairing in hopes of preserving the finish. It seems to have held up well considering the harsh environment it lives in.

New:

DSC00481_zps76f8d078.jpg

Off the bike after one riding season:

DSC00760_zpscc22da94.jpg

DSC00761_zps574803cb.jpg

All in all not in too bad of shape, but I wanted to see how hard it was to peel off the Plastidip and re-apply.

Once you get an edge up, it comes off relatively easy. Around the edges were a little more difficult, but would roll up pretty easily with the push of a finger. The most difficult part was getting it off in the recesses for the fasteners without scratching the surface. I finally found that if I used a pencil eraser in there, it would roll it off.

Midway through the peel:

DSC00762_zps1270dfd1.jpg

A little buff using Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, and I have a pristine piece to re-apply for next season. I am going to try the clear Plasti-Dip this time and see how that looks. Will post up pics of the results. Hmmmmm, if it looks good, could this be used on the top of the bags as well? We shall see!

DSC00763_zps791b9e05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I did my front fender a year or so ago. My technique needs work though. Any suggestion on how to get that nice, even finish? Dust on light coats, spray on a heavy coat, or ??

Fred

I did my same thing this summer to that part. Seems to be holding up equally as well with 5 coats and I like the black better next to the radiator than the red. Would try it on the top of the bags if I didn't think I would peel it off with my boot scuffs. Or even paint the whole bag black with it.

Very nice. I did my front fender a year or so ago. My technique needs work though. Any suggestion on how to get that nice, even finish? Dust on light coats, spray on a heavy coat, or ??

Fred
Maybe your problem was that blue painters tape you used to mask it off...

I did my same thing this summer to that part. Seems to be holding up equally as well with 5 coats and I like the black better next to the radiator than the red. Would try it on the top of the bags if I didn't think I would peel it off with my boot scuffs. Or even paint the whole bag black with it.
The 3M stuff saved this bag from my wife's club foot! Now when she gets on, I put my gloved hand on that spot. If the bags would get scuffed it would be an easy fix to re-apply.

DSC00745_zpsea069314.jpg

Fred
LOL!!
fuck.gif
We're not on ST-O
laugh.gif

Fred
LOL!! :fuck: We're not on ST-O :laugh:
For sure, and that's a good thing!!!

I do like the results from the plasti-dip.

Just got the final coat on this morning. Looks good for where it is going to live, but I wouldn't like it on the tops of the bags. This is with 6 coats of clear Plasti-Dip and 3 coats of the glossifier. Might go back to black after next season, or maybe try the CF vinyl wrap. There are a couple of small boogers that are hard to avoid with a rattle can and this sort of materiel, but is utterly unnoticeable down there.

DSC00764_zpsdf791f11.jpg

DSC00765_zps6b8005b3.jpg

How come Iris' bags looked so good and yours is so noticible? Honestly, I was parked right next to her at EOM and didn't notice until she said something.

Brand or application technique has to be the answer. Personally, I think the black looked better, but that's just stupid to have to cover the paint to protect the paint. I think the best compromise would be the carbon fiber wrap. Good luck.

Personally, I think the black looked better, but that's just stupid to have to cover the paint to protect the paint.
grin.gif

I've always done everything I can to protect my paint, but I've always seen the irony in it. The NEXT owner of the bike will have pristine paint to enjoy....makes no sense. But then, my wife would tell you that when it comes to motorcycles, "sense" isn't my greatest attribute.

Personally, I may try the Plasti-Dip because the cowling looks great in black, IMO.

I am really leaning on pulling it off and doing it in black. I spend a lot of time in the garage, and every time I go out there I notice it and think that I actually liked it better black. Dammit!! I might see how much CF wrap I have left, or maybe add a few coats in black!?!?!? At least it is too crappy to ride. This still allows me to spend time with her!

And she IS a show bike to me! I have ridden the snot (relatively) out of every bike I have owned in the last 45 years, and have fawned over the cosmetic care of every one of them......Except that 1981 DR400!!

I am really leaning on pulling it off and doing it in black. I spend a lot of time in the garage, and every time I go out there I notice it and think that I actually liked it better black. Dammit!! I might see how much CF wrap I have left, or maybe add a few coats in black!?!?!? At least it is too crappy to ride. This still allows me to spend time with her!
And she IS a show bike to me! I have ridden the snot (relatively) out of every bike I have owned in the last 45 years, and have fawned over the cosmetic care of every one of them......Except that 1981 DR400!!
I'd leave it the way you've got it, for a season...it's already done, and I think it looks fine...not that my opinion counts for anything.