Sales in Sport Touring Motorcycles Up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to be able to sit through a PowerPoint presentation recently on the introduction of the new R1 and FJ-09 motorcycles. One of the slides I found interesting had to deal with the sales trend of sport touring type motorcycles. The trend has been upward which is one of the driving forces behind Yamaha introducing the FJ-09.

I can't remember exact specifics, but stats were from the five years from 2009 to 2013.

Overall, sales were up 34%. From about 11,000 units in 2009, to about 15,000 units in 2013.

A very good trend that should benefit us, the consumer.

I don't know anything else like whose research that was, where it came from, or what they classified as a Sport Touring motorcycle so don't ask!

And as much as I try to be an idealist, I am wary of the mental masturbation that I am afraid will follow as to what is a sport touring motorcycle, and how Yamaha didn't do the FJ-09 correctly.

BTW, I saw the new FJ-09 - a normal model and an accessorized version at the Phoenix IMS show this past weekend. I was impressed! Maybe, just maybe, I will be willing to give up one of my FJRs to put an FJ-09 in it's place.
smile.png

Were the annual sales numbers for the US, North America, World.....???

I told you not to ask! I don't know!! I am just a peon who was fortunate enough to be thrown a couple morsels of information!

You are SO fired! You owe me alcoholic beverages at our next meeting!

I told you not to ask! I don't know!! I am just a peon who was fortunate enough to be thrown a couple morsels of information!

My bad....I forgot Forum rule #11.....SkooterG doesn't know shit....never has....never will....and anyone who thinks otherwise has to buy him a drink. It's no wonder he is such a lush!

My bad....I forgot Forum rule #11.....SkooterG doesn't know shit....never has....never will....and anyone who thinks otherwise has to buy him a drink. It's no wonder he is such a lush!

You see? You need to get all your shit in one sock! Forgetting a forum rule will cost you another alcoholic beverage!

Thought I'd never, ever hear this: "I was fortunate enough to be able to sit through a Power Point presentation ..." unless it was followed by "... and not go to sleep."

As to the thread subject, sometimes trends happen for no logical reason -- they just happen because people are weird. Was there some discussion as to why this trend is occurring?

As to the thread subject, sometimes trends happen for no logical reason -- they just happen because people are weird. Was there some discussion as to why this trend is occurring?
I work in the field of acquiring and analyzing data and there is always a reason for trends.

I this case, I might guess that the lower cost of a touring bike during economic hard times might have soon bearing to the trend. It's just a guess.

Beary

I work in the field of acquiring and analyzing data and there is always a reason for trends.

I this case, I might guess that the lower cost of a touring bike during economic hard times might have soon bearing to the trend. It's just a guess.
Considering that the stock market and the economy tanked during the last quarter of 2008, 2009 sales were probably way down from 2008 and the sales increase from 2009 has been more of a "catchup" then a real market growth.

Hopefully the fj-09 will have a suitable size gas tank, and a center stand.

You can see all the specs on Yammie's website. 4.8 gallon tank. C-stand is standard. 464 lbs wet. or close to that.

I was impressed with it. Stock handguards. LED headlights. ABS and traction control. And a more comfortable seat than the FZ-09.

You can see all the specs on Yammie's website. 4.8 gallon tank. C-stand is standard. 464 lbs wet. or close to that.

I was impressed with it. Stock handguards. LED headlights. ABS and traction control. And a more comfortable seat than the FZ-09.
Were you able to sit on it? It's my understanding that it shares the same frame and wheelbase with the FZ-09....and the FZ-09 felt like a large mini-bike when I rode it.

Rule number one- you're not apposed to talk about fight club.

I was fortunate enough to be able to sit through a PowerPoint presentation recently on the introduction of the new R1 and FJ-09 motorcycles. One of the slides I found interesting had to deal with the sales trend of sport touring type motorcycles. The trend has been upward which is one of the driving forces behind Yamaha introducing the FJ-09.
I can't remember exact specifics, but stats were from the five years from 2009 to 2013.

Overall, sales were up 34%. From about 11,000 units in 2009, to about 15,000 units in 2013.

I don't know anything else like whose research that was, where it came from, or what they classified as a Sport Touring motorcycle so don't ask!

And as much as I try to be an idealist, I am wary of the mental masturbation that I am afraid will follow as to what is a sport touring motorcycle, and how Yamaha didn't do the FJ-09 correctly.

BTW, I saw the new FJ-09 - a normal model and an accessorized version at the Phoenix IMS show this past weekend. I was impressed! Maybe, just maybe, I will be willing to give up one of my FJRs to put an FJ-09 in it's place.
smile.png

sport touring sales are up because the average age of americans is rising. therefore more old farts with bad backs & knees as

well as more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to spend on toys. Probably same increase in low to the ground Harley types also.

Were you able to sit on it? It's my understanding that it shares the same frame and wheelbase with the FZ-09....and the FZ-09 felt like a large mini-bike when I rode it.

Yep!

Tank is wider. Bars are different. Gauges are off the Super Tenere. It has a windscreen. And a comfortable two piece seat. Felt good to me. Proof will be in the riding of it. If I am lucky that will be in December. If not, then most likely February.

smile.png
57.3% of all statistics are made up..........! No matter what they tell you Death is the nations #1 killer...!

Stock:

Accessorized:

High seat height could be an issue. Even though it has two positions, tall and taller.

Functional rear rack accessory.

Optional touring screen. Hope this is a case of form following function.

Optional sidebags. These look like the 'City' size sidebags that have been offered in Europe for the FJR. Yamaha claims 75mm narrower than FJR sidebags. And I so no reason FJR sidebags won't fit on the bike.

Also has the optional 'comfort' seat.

Sidebag mounting bracket that needs to be purchased.

SidebagMount_zpsf4ef956f.jpg

I hope they figured out the fueling issues from the FZ-09 and have better suspension. Those are my only issues. I always shoot for a 200 mile range, as that is all my back side can stand at a shot, and this should meet that with a 4.8 gallon tank and good gas mileage. .

I look forward to the reviews and how much to upgrade the suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to this eye, that thing is almost ugly enough to be a BMW. OTOH, BMW GS's sell like hotcakes so I guess emulating them isn't a bad idea. That said, there are too many good looking motorcycles in the world for me to want to walk across the parking lot towards an ugly every sunny day.

Believe it or not, I've been mulling around the possibility of replacing my Gen III with an FJ-09. Especially now that you all but confirmed it'll take the FJR's panniers. I'm growing tired of the big girls big girlishness. A test ride in the spring will tell the tale.

Last edited by a moderator: